Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radiator problems

• 27-11-2014 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi all
    I hope I explain my problem in a way that someone can help. I'll start by saying that I'm by no means a plumber but I am fairly handy with my hands and have a general understanding of how a central heating system works as in the basics.
    My problem is that I'm having problems with one radiator upstairs not heating up. I'll start with what I have tried up to this point . First I tried bleeding all rads and no joy. Then I tried disconnecting the rad and flushing it out which resulted in black water coming out and reconnected the rad and all was good it was working fine until I went to turn the heating on again and it was stone cold again plus I noticed that the pressure in the hot press was at one bar.
    I then proceeded to disconnect all the upstairs rads one by one and flush them all out which produced black water coming out of all the rads upstairs (5 in total including the problem rad which had clear water coming out of it). I then connected them all back up and bled all of them and I noticed that the pressure went up to 1.5 bar which I thought had solved the problem. All was good when I ran the heating all rads were hot so I left the heating run for an hour or so and the problem rad again started to cool down and both pipes on either side were cold.
    So then I tried balancing the rads with quarter to half turns on the lock side and once again it started working and the pressure held at 1.5 bar. Now an hour later it's after cooling down again and the other rads are after getting hotter. I have just tried turning off the rads in the main bathroom and the ensuite as these are rarely used and turned off both sides of the rad in hope of the pressure running three rads instead of 5. I'm just waiting for the heating to completely cool down before I try it again.
    I don't know if I have a combi boiler or what, but my boiler runs on oil, is just outside my kitchen window and I have 2 switches in the kitchen for upstairs and downstairs. It's also worth noting that I removed a rad in the kitchen as I now have an open plan sitting room kitchen.
    My questions are should I have one side of the rads open in the ensuite and main bathroom before turning the heating on again and does anyone have any suggestions I can try before I call a plumber in which I really can't afford at the moment and also would anyone know know which rads are at the start and end as in do the upstairs rads heat first or downstairs and a general direction in which the water is pumped around.
    I'm sorry for this very long winded post but I tried to put everything I can think of in. If you've made it this far and have any incling as to what is wrong , any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for taking the time to read this and any help given.
    Seamus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Try turning OFF all rads that are working, this will clear air lock out of rad that's not working (if that's the problem), make SURE it's turned on at both sides. Then turn everything else back on after 5 miniute.

Or turn down valve on coil of cylinder 3/4 way.

Hopefully all's ok, if not you'll need a plumber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Turn off all working rads and the cylinder coil. If that dosent work then chances are sludge is your problem. You probably removed some from your rads by hosing them but there's still plenty in the pipework I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭shay1604

Thanks for the reply . When I turn off all other rads the problem rad turns on and works great but as soon as I turn on all other rads it's goes cold again and the pipes feeding into the rad go cold as well. Sorry for my stupidity but what valve by the tank do I need to turn down is it in the cylinder (hot press) or the tank in the attic and where would I find it (what does it look like) . Thanks again for the reply

Thanks for the reply it's very much appreciated I turned off all the rads but am confused as how to turn down the cylinder coil please if you can tell me what it looks like or where it's located, sorry for my ignorance but this cylinder coil sounds like my last hope before I call a plumber

shay1604 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply it's very much appreciated I turned off all the rads but am confused as how to turn down the cylinder coil please if you can tell me what it looks like or where it's located, sorry for my ignorance but this cylinder coil sounds like my last hope before I call a plumber
    There should be a red wheel valve on the bottom pipe entering the cylinder. Turn it fully clockwise.
    If unsure, take a pic of the Hotpress and I'll show you

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    There should be a red wheel valve on the bottom pipe entering the cylinder. Turn it fully clockwise.
    If unsure, take a pic of the Hotpress and I'll show you

Thanks for info I found the valve how long do I turn it off for and do I bleed rads when it's off? or do I leave it off for good?
    Thanks again for your time in responding to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

Hi
    I have the same problem with one upstairs radiator the O.H IS FREEZING. I tried everything ,now I am going to connect mains water to my boiler to see if i can blow the airlock out. If your system is producing black water you may need at some stage to get your system flushed (expensive) you should put a rust inhibitor in your system .

TOEJOE wrote: »
    Hi
    I have the same problem with one upstairs radiator the O.H IS FREEZING. I tried everything ,now I am going to connect mains water to my boiler to see if i can blow the airlock out. If your system is producing black water you may need at some stage to get your system flushed (expensive) you should put a rust inhibitor in your system .

Thanks for reply I tried a video on YouTube about removing airlocks you should check it out maybe it might work for you before you go to the hassle of plumbing the mains into your boiler, I tried to post link but it won't let me it's by a channel called plumber parts. Where would I put the rush inhibitor on my system? Thanks again for information anything that might work I'll try

Thanks for reply I tried a video on YouTube about removing airlocks you should check it out maybe it might work for you before you go to the hassle of plumbing the mains into your boiler, I tried to post link but it won't let me it's by a channel called plumber parts. Where would I put the rush inhibitor on my system? Thanks again for information anything that might work I'll try

Sorry just read it again it's rust not rush ha I'm some dope.

Sorry just read it again it's rust not rush ha I'm some dope.

DO NOT put inhibitor into your system if it hasn't been powerflushed. Yiur system must be clean or the inhibitor may cause more harm than good

• Advertisement

DO NOT put inhibitor into your system if it hasn't been powerflushed. Yiur system must be clean or the inhibitor may cause more harm than good

Thanks Dtp I won't unless it's power flushed first can you tell me why I need to turn off the red valve or for how long or when I need to do it as in when the heating is on or off or how long do I keep it off for and what does this do ? Your help is appreciated very Mich as this is the last port of call before I get a plumber in

Thanks Dtp I won't unless it's power flushed first can you tell me why I need to turn off the red valve or for how long or when I need to do it as in when the heating is on or off or how long do I keep it off for and what does this do ? Your help is appreciated very Mich as this is the last port of call before I get a plumber in

Turn on heating. Turn off all rads including cylinder balance valve( this steals the heat from the radiators). When bad rad is heating, turn on other rads. Turn down the cooler pipe on each rad to 1/4 open. Leave the bad rad valves fully open. Open cylinder valve 3/4 turn

Turn on heating. Turn off all rads including cylinder balance valve( this steals the heat from the radiators). When bad rad is heating, turn on other rads. Turn down the cooler pipe on each rad to 1/4 open. Leave the bad rad valves fully open. Open cylinder valve 3/4 turn

You are a pure legend dtp worked like a charm if I could buy you a pint I would . I just want to say thank you so much for taking the time and effort to help with my problem and you saved me a sh*t load of money and time with such a simple fix. Thanks to everyone else as well who tried to help it was all very much appreciated .

You are a pure legend dtp worked like a charm if I could buy you a pint I would . I just want to say thank you so much for taking the time and effort to help with my problem and you saved me a sh*t load of money and time with such a simple fix. Thanks to everyone else as well who tried to help it was all very much appreciated .

Guinness. I'll pm you my address :)

Guinness. I'll pm you my address :)

Ha no bother ha. Seriously though thanks a million man you saved me the world of hassle . All the best over the Christmas and New year to you .
    Thanks
    Seamus

Advertisement