Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deus Ex 2 is gonna rip soo much!!

Options
  • 10-03-2003 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

just got the latest issue of pc zone and in it was a big preview of Deus Ex 2. *jaw smacks floor* i mean anyone who's seen any screen shots, and the way one can add on loads of mods to a weapon, a written about weapon was a specialized blaster for espionage that was a silenced blaster with a function meaning it could melt glass without setting off alarms. and the ai and not to mention the augmentioning (renamed bio-modifications). my god this is gonna kick sooooooo much ass. august seems soooooooooooooooooooo far away........... :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Yeah.. I really don't understand how the planned PS2 port is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

*subdued shouts of joy*

As much as I want DE2 to be GOTY...I cant help feeling a tad sceptical.

I mean, look at all the games released so far this year that have been deemed *great* and have been a let down [U2, C&C G, SC]

afaik, it used the U2 engine so foget it playink on low spec machines.

I'll admit, the preview does make it seem like DE2 WILL be something very very special...but until some playable code is released for us to see...I wont hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Yes! I really really really hope that DX2 comes out as good as the hype is going. I really do. The first one was a real breath of fresh air. Warren is a good guide and steady hand at Ion Storm. If this goes well....

... then the blackout on "Thief 3" maybe lifted and *maybe* will be out before next year! Woohoo! Thief 3 hopefully will continue it's excellent sneaky roots. DX2 will reveal (positively) a lot about that I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

I'd much prefer warren to be working on System shock 3 then thief 3 but the rights to that game are sorta up in the air. At the moment I think dues 2 is a bit over hyped but I still think they'll pull off a good game and I'm looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by Kaimera
    I mean, look at all the games released so far this year that have been deemed *great* and have been a let down [U2, C&C G, SC]
    I thought CnC was a superb game, albiet its single player life was..... short. The multi player was top notch.

back on topic: I cant see DE2 beating DE1 for playability and storyline, however graphically it will grab it by the crotch and swing it over its head anti clockwise. The main thing Im hoping for is length, the one thing that has killed U2, and hopefully DE2 will be a proper full game, which takes a week of hard gaming to finish, however thats just wishful thinking, you wont get a single player game to last more than 2days these days unless miyamoto is making it :(

• Advertisement

Yeah, length would be good... but I wouldn't mind if they keep the alternative strategies like the first one. I know what strategy I'm going to use... sneak... sneak... Blam! :D The storyline is going to be hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Harvey Smith should do good things for this game. It will do well if its only deus ex 1 with pretty graphics (though that would probably be a failure to most people given how hype works). My gut feeling is they will improve alot on deus ex, but I don't know if they will get that magical sprinkle of luck they got with the first one? Hopefully the experience of the first deus ex and the ability to recognise the good gameplay features from the poor will guide Deus ex 2 to something special.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

I dont know if its really possible to make good long games with jaw dropping gfx. Unreal2 was a very short game but still took two cd's. Companies either can make a long game and loose out on some profit for extra cd's or they can jack up price.
    Also a lot of time is spent making it look amazing that they usually forget the storyline/length.

Hopefully, Deus Ex 2 wont have the above problems :)
    Tbh i wouldnt mind paying an extra cpl euro if the game was of a decent length and a decent storyline. Thing is then, how will u know if its of decent length before buying. ( dont trust reviews ne more really)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,460 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

if u remember when deus ex first came out it brought systems to their knee's, so it's gonna be nothing new with deus ex 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    Unreal2 was a very short game but still took two cd's.
    3, actually, iirc. Its about time games came on DVDs...

A

• Advertisement

Hear, hear! Baldur's gate came out on DVD as well as the 6 CD version. Would be good if DX2 needs more than 1 CD and might get more quality rather than compressed files etc. Diablo springs to mind....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

The one game thats truely making me drool is Deus Ex2....

apart from the graphics(pfft gameplay is what ya want!)

Warren has previously claimed that you can complete the game without shooting anything.../me drools

so some good innovation & plotlines and this little beauty will have me failing 4th year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Originally posted by SearrarD
    Warren has previously claimed that you can complete the game without shooting anything.../me drools
    Um... while this is indeed an interesting concept, i think it would make the game INCREDIBLY boring if you actually tried to do it...

Having said that, Im currently replaying my way through Max Payne without shooting anything... but thats just because the kung fu mod is sooooo cool :)

A

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Originally posted by Asuka
    3, actually, iirc. Its about time games came on DVDs...

A

I frequently complain about this too... Anyone with a PC fast enough to play these modern games has a dvd drive. It will take one of the big boys...like ID to change things. If Doom 3 came out on DVD...others would follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The biggest improvenment to make on DE1 would be the AI, at times it was too simple.

P.s whats iirc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

If I Recall Correctly

Its not that iwould be boring Asuka, its the fact that you have the option....i really love it when games allow you to do what you want to do to achieve your goals/objectives....and hopefully they can do it a little more seamlessly than last time...

as for the AI....its a computer game so i'm not holding my breath!...but seriously in some action senarios it could have been better in DE1 if not for dodgy AI decisions....

Finishing the game without killing is nothing new, you could damn near do that in BOTH thief games, and their prehistoric these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

I dont have a DVD drive. (well i do but its in old machine and i cant get it out without breaking a load of plastic. Use dvd player to watch dvds..)

So maybe a choice of a dvd or cd's to try and give people the choice at the start and then eventually phase out cd's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

CDs are dirt cheap to produce so game publishers aren't really in that much of a rush to go out and start giving games out on dvd format. They also would have to invest in new dvd burning facilities. Personally I wouldn't buy a game on dvd format if I had the option. On my current machine my DVD player runs at 16x speed while CD player goes at 48x. For getting rid of the small bother of lashing on a few cds into the tray the odd time thats a huge speed reduction. And most games you can install almost completely onto your harddrive and just need the play cd in the drive to run the game so its a moot point really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Now, I got the PC Zone magazine, pretty much just to see Deus Ex 2, and I'm right bloody impressed! It looks very interesting indeed, and I can hardly guess what the plot is going to be like, but I dont think it'll be a duffer after reading the feature.

I think though, the biggest fault of Deus Ex, and something I hope they do change in the sequel, is the the game world itself. The game had 'Levels' where it would have benifited hugely from a big sprawling city where you could just wander about doing anything for ages, maybe taking up a few side missions to get some extra cash/mods/whatever in more RPG style. The levels were very bound to the story, and even in the 'City' levels like New York, Paris, or Hong Kong... They still felt like 'levels', which made the game feel very On-Rails in the structure of it, especially as you just took a Helicopter from location to location.

I can only hope that DE2 works out better on the structure of actual cities.

• Advertisement

The downside of an open ended game is that its easy to get lost and lose the plot completely, and I think they aimed DE1 at a very broad audience. However I will agree it played a little linear, a full open ended game wouldnt suit an FPS RPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

On my current machine my DVD player runs at 16x speed while CD player goes at 48x.

Yes but 16x DVD drive speed is VERY different to 16x CD speed.

(anyone know the actual transfer rates?)

So the 16x DVD drive is probably a lot faster than your 48x CD-ROM drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,460 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

well 1x dvd is equal to about 8x cd, so u do the math :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

16 x 8 = ..................128 Speed wow

Yeah, Deus Ex really destroyed PC's at the time. Brutal Frame Rates, Q3 engine would have been better all-round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Originally posted by Ryo Hazuki
    16 x 8 = ..................128 Speed wow

Yea was just going to say that. 16x DVD is FAR quicker than any cdrom drive will ever be. 1XDVD speed is the speed a movie plays at...1XCD-Rom is the speed an audio cd plays at. DVD = Far more data.

AFAIK, DVD's cost only 2 to 3 times as much as cd's to press (not burn). I work for Sonopress indirectly...I was told that their cost price per CD (pressed and all) is about 11 Cent. The CD case would probably cost more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

well if you've seen the vid of deus ex 2 , the pictures look lame in comparison,, mm might get an xbox :D

Advertisement