Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Late Late Show 08/04/11

191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 the scorpion

macjohn wrote: »
    Ah at last - Lar Corbett was doing loads of talking cause he wanted to push his new pub, fair enough but a standard man on the dole wouldnot hav got the businessman he mentioned to back him. IE being a gaa player has helped him.
    I do wish him the best with new venture (or anyone that trys a new venture) - but would have done more so if he had not tried to suggest earlier that gaa players should get extra breaks

Could all be very short lived if Tipp fail to regain the All Ireland title

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Jayob10 wrote: »
    I think he has lost the drive considering the dross he has as guests every week. He looks bored and you cannot successfully fake interest in things you have no interest in.

I thought he looked incredibly bored and disinterested when reading out the list of guests at the start.. Even more so than normal..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

Jayob10 wrote: »
    He is probably seething with the quality of guests delivered up and feels he is better than this. The snob in him doesn't want to be interviewing Biddy from Glenroe.

I totally agree. Problem is, he's not better than this but just doesn't realise. He fancies himself as an intellectual, a heavyweight, but he's pure lightweight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Waterford lad defending Keith Barry last week
    Tipp lad defending Lar Corbett this week
    Meath lad defending Hector next week?????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭starryeye

Well, I think you should just take all views as just individual views and leave it at that. It would be impossible to agree with everyone all the time. It has not changed my personal view on the guest I liked last week.
    That is all I can say.

I also believe that if an occasion does arise and a post is extremely offensive about a guest on the LLS. This is in extreme circumstances. It should be just deleted by the moderator. This is only my opinion of course.

Don't worry. I am finished expressing my view on this topic now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

absolutely

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Fraher91

I see all people as equal.

I don't see a hurler as deserving any more attention then a "joe soap" on the street.

"Hoty" means nothing to me.

Well at least he is doing something productive with his life, unlike some of the keyboard warriors on here who begrudge him any success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

mulner92 wrote: »
    Interesting to look at some of the attitudes of the posters on here, judging by what they say you get the sense that Lar and the lads should turn down jobs and be almost apologetic about talking about their troubles.

"Judging by what they say"
    :confused:

Eh sorry, could you maybe quote someone who gave you the impression they want Lar and the lads to "turn down jobs"
    :confused:
    Yes i have logged on often and i have contributed posts to it. i admit it. But i find there are posters here who log on every week habitually to complain before, during, and after the show about the presenter, the guests, the topics etc. its as if they have an evoked set and are programmed to moan and bitch. seriously why watch a show and write a review every week it happens? im not having a go at you personally but i seems to be the running theme every week no matter if its Nelson Mandela on the show or Biddy from Glenroe

Yeah, does this not seem to you that there is a serious problem with the show, the host, the producers and the research team??

A guest like Nelson Mandela, I could only dream of! I seriously wonder what the LLS staff do at their production meetings at all.

Week after week:
    We are presented with guests of the standard of "Biddy from Glenroe shilling her book", we give out about this and we are the bad people :confused:
    We are presented with guests of the standard of Samuel L and Juliette Binoche, the host makes a mess of the interview, we give out about it and again we are he bad people :confused:

Week after week we give out because of the above...and we get criticized...come on folks, let's get to the root of the problem here: the show itself! The host! The producers! The researchers!
    Fraher91 wrote: »
    Well at least he is doing something productive with his life, unlike some of the keyboard warriors on here who begrudge him any success.

So you know what he is doing every second of the day do you?

Plus you know what what we are doing every second of the day do you? One of us "keyboard warriors" on the LLS thread could be FOTY for all you know..... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Gave up watching the LLS months ago, and that was only to partake in this humourous thread.

But I no longer can sit through the boring, depressing dross that is meant to be some sort of 'light' entertainment. DLB is out of his depth, very poor presenter indeed. Even slagging him off has lost some of its appeal.

Still sh*t as ever is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Please take note "late late" thread knockers.
    The ease with which Tubridy dismisses online critics of the Late Late as though they were hate-filled begru-dgers brings us to another curious trademark: his black-and-white view of the world and apparent desire to be seen as a Pollyanna figure from whom never is heard a discouraging word.

Today, for many, it's online platforms like Twitter where the most straight-talking, freewheeling public conversations take place. Tubridy would be wise to heed the word on the street before he discovers that the writing's on the wall.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/how-tubridy-turned-the-late-late-into-the-lite-lite-2614552.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The condemnation reached critical mass a fortnight ago, following Tubridy's failure to probe Ronan Keating about his reported philandering when the Boyzone smarm-merchant graced the Late Late to publicise a new album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

The condemnation reached critical mass a fortnight ago, following Tubridy's failure to probe Ronan Keating about his reported philandering when the Boyzone smarm-merchant graced the Late Late to publicise a new album.

If only Ronan had failed to probe that dancer!

telekon wrote: »
    Gave up watching the LLS months ago, and that was only to partake in this humourous thread.

But I no longer can sit through the boring, depressing dross that is meant to be some sort of 'light' entertainment. DLB is out of his depth, very poor presenter indeed. Even slagging him off has lost some of its appeal.

Still sh*t as ever is it?

Well there's been no change from when you used post...

Hey, come on back, you were great craic :)

Gave up watching the LLS months ago, and that was only to partake in this humourous thread. Still sh*t as ever is it?

It's been particularly bad for the past month.. The show about "The Irish - A great bunch of lads" was nauseating and cringey.. The show with Keating was always gonna be judged on that interview and whether Tubridy asked the question, which he didnt... And last night's show had effectively no real guests aside from Jessie J, who Tubrity felt obliged to ask about her illness (i.e. she had a stroke when she was 18) and her Irish connections..

RTE are gonna have to have a sit down with Tuberity when this season is finished.. The Ronan Keating interview was a real lowpoint for Tubridy, it needs to be put to him that if he is not prepared to ask the hard questions, then he is not the right man for the job.. A new host who is a bit risqué, is what the show needs.. With Pat and now Tubridy, the show is too much interview by numbers and not enough spontaneity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

To those of you who say you dont like Tubridy like you claim you do then why watch the f*cking show? every bloody week moaning here on boards. pathetic!

theres no middle ground whatsoever. i dont like tubridy but there is times he has good guests and other times it is woeful and yes he is overpaid but every week pages upon pages of how crap the show is. seriously?
    But it is every single week no matter who is on the show still the same criticisms yet he still registers your Nielsen Ratings or whatever the system we have here. If Gaddafi was on the show tonight or if he talked to the dead it would be the same ****e. Ill talk if i like btw as we live in the Republic of Ireland 2011, not Nazi Germany 1939 so if you dont like it you know what you can do.
    Yes i have logged on often and i have contributed posts to it. i admit it. But i find there are posters here who log on every week habitually to complain before, during, and after the show about the presenter, the guests, the topics etc. its as if they have an evoked set and are programmed to moan and bitch. seriously why watch a show and write a review every week it happens? im not having a go at you personally but i seems to be the running theme every week no matter if its Nelson Mandela on the show or Biddy from Glenroe

The people who come on to this thread to give out at us for critiquing Tubs and his guests amaze me.

What we are doing on this thread is being replicated in sitting rooms all over the country.

I think most of us on here, at the very least, hope that this thread is being monitored and that we may affect some change in the LLS - which I think we as the viewing public are all deserving of.

We deserve quality guests interviewed by an able host.

Unfortunately the guests for the past while have been sub-par (basically the majority of them have been RTE staff who are hawking books or CDs, etc) or when there have been quality guests DLB manages to drain the life out of the interview. There are numerous instances of this happening, too many to mention, however I will note some that I thought were particularly bad:
    Take That, Juliette Binoche, Ronan Keating, Samuel L Jackson and my fave Rhys Ifans.

However personally I also think the GAA Hurlers interview last night was also a low in this season's LLS.

Who would be a really good host for the LLS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

starryeye wrote: »

Hector :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

miriam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Moncreiff would be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

Vincent Browne!

I'm not so sure about his political views but after watching bits of the first couple of his Friday night shows (which are meant to be more "light entertainment"), I think he might be just what the LLS needs.

He would certainly ask the "difficult questions". And he doesn't have the same smugness and sense of being totally out of touch that we've seen Tubridy display.

He's an experienced journalist who, in the past has put his neck on the line for the sake of his work.

I've just noticed on his Friday night shows (when he's not banging on about politics!) that he seems to be a likeable sort, down to earth.

Of course though, it'll never happen!

Paul Stokes :D

Flimbos wrote: »
    Vincent Browne!

I'm not so sure about his political views but after watching bits of the first couple of his Friday night shows (which are meant to be more "light entertainment"), I think he might be just what the LLS needs.

He would certainly ask the "difficult questions". And he doesn't have the same smugness and sense of being totally out of touch that we've seen Tubridy display.

He's an experienced journalist who, in the past has put his neck on the line for the sake of his work.

I've just noticed on his Friday night shows (when he's not banging on about politics!) that he seems to be a likeable sort, down to earth.

Of course though, it'll never happen!

Omg Vincent would be brilliant!!!! And hilarious!!!

Love it!!!!

Seriously, my vote is for Vincent.

• Advertisement

I know we joked about bringing back Gay, truth is stranger than fiction:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1375361/Roll-Colette--Gaybo-light-Friday-night.html?ITO=1490

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

He's dead!
    Poly wrote:
    I know we joked about bringing back Gay, truth is stranger than fiction:

He's not dead?!

Rather than devising a whole new show for the summer, surely it would make more sense to run the Late Late all year round, with guest presenters whenever Tubridy goes on his holidays. This would make it easier to eventually find a new permanent presenter. Because Tubridy is clearly unsuited to the genre.

RayM wrote: »
    He's dead!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055889359&page=3

Oh Jesus, you're right. I did not know.

No laughing matter.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Sean Moncreif and vincent brown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It'll be great to see Gay back in a chat show again. If they can get some good acts in (not stuff Crystal Swing and Jedward), it could be a great show.

Yeah,it would be great to see Gaybo back, even at 76 he could still inject a bit of youthful exuberance, controversy and energy back into the LL show.

Imagine he brought all his auld cronies back on, Parkie, Billy Connelly, Lenny Herny....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

He's dead.

He'd still probably do a better job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Poly wrote: »
    Yeah,it would be great to see Gaybo back, Imagine he brought all his auld cronies back on, Parkie, Billy Connelly, Lenny Herny....
    and don't forget Sinead O'Connor. Uncle Gaybo loved her too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Sean Moncreif and vincent brown
    And Jedward could be roving reporters...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

"Ryan Tubridy has boosted Late Late popularity."

If the Late Late Show is getting more audience figures now it's because of the greatest recession since the 1921! They might as well claim that Tubridy is responsible for people not going out on Friday nights anymore.

Honestly, I would expect more reliability from The Daily Mail (seriously!).

I don't know what's going to happen to Tubridy, it's hard to imagine him doing this for the next 10+ years (and if he does then God help us all). I hope he throws in the towel soon and says he wants to go on to do "different things".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

amdublin wrote: »
    Well there's been no change from when you used post...

Hey, come on back, you were great craic :)

Why, thank you very much. :)
    It's been particularly bad for the past month.. The show about "The Irish - A great bunch of lads" was nauseating and cringey.. The show with Keating was always gonna be judged on that interview and whether Tubridy asked the question, which he didnt... And last night's show had effectively no real guests aside from Jessie J, who Tubrity felt obliged to ask about her illness (i.e. she had a stroke when she was 18) and her Irish connections..

RTE are gonna have to have a sit down with Tuberity when this season is finished.. The Ronan Keating interview was a real lowpoint for Tubridy, it needs to be put to him that if he is not prepared to ask the hard questions, then he is not the right man for the job.. A new host who is a bit risqué, is what the show needs.. With Pat and now Tubridy, the show is too much interview by numbers and not enough spontaneity.

I thought the furore over the Ronan Keating was massively overblown tbh. Tubridy's been getting away with avoiding asking the tough questions to his buddies for years. If anything, the controversy over the Keating interview was a culmination of all the times he has repeatedly wimped out and people have finally had enough of it...well, thats what I'd like to believe.

The fact that Ronan Keating is a dislikable tit had a lot to do with it too I would imagine...

He's dead!

nre.
    amdublin wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055889359&page=3

Oh Jesus, you're right. I did not know.

No laughing matter.

RIP.

Oh gosh, I didn't know this.

Didn't mean to disrespect the dead.

RIP

Why, thank you very much. :)

I wouldnt read too much in to the compliments here Tele.. given that it is the Late Late Show thread, people have a tendency to fall into the same fawning mannerisms as the host... I think you're wonderful as well, btw.. you're "just what the country needs right now".. :D
    Tubridy's been getting away with avoiding asking the tough questions to his buddies for years.

I completely agree with you on this one.. Not asking the question of Keating was the straw that broke the camel's back for a lot of people.. His prime focus in all his interviews seems to be to avoid confrontation, not to ask interesting, probing questions... After a series of soft soap interviews, people wanted Keating grilled if he was going to get air time to promote his album.. And this interview completely brought to a head his lack of courage as an interviewer....

And it's kind of ironic that he's pissed off more guests by licking their boots (like Juliette Binnoche) than he has by asking them uncomfortable questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Yes he did mention his new venture, its what business people do and especially in a recession. More power to him. A genuine good guy. the best of luck to him.

No, what business people do is pay large sums of money for 30-second TV slots. They don't get handed 20 minutes to talk about it to dlb.
    Perhaps they are just trying to give us an indication of the serious jobs crisis in this country when the hurlers cant get jobs.

Yeah, after all, sideline cuts are a much sought-after skill in the modern economy.
    daddydick wrote: »
    People here who are ridiculing the likes of Larry Corbett and Padraig Maher for going on the LLS and telling their story need to ask themselves two questions:

1) what went wrong in my life that I find myself sitting in on a Friday night watching a show I hate while moaning and complaining to strangers over the internet?

better than moaning and complaining to strangers that your amateur sport doesn't pay you a salary. Why not quit the gaa and set up a professional league, see how far they get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

http://eircomsports.eircom.net/News/news/gaa/Ewan-MacKenna-blog-The-Late-Grate-Show.aspx

It’s almost all as galling as Ryan Tubridy’s ignorance and lack of research into a sport which clearly doesn’t impact his circles. If the GAA wants to help their inter-county players financially, then that is their business, yet the players agree that they don’t want that. But if the GAA thinks inter-county players deserve to get work ahead of everyone else based purely on status, then that’s my business, it’s your business, it’s everyone’s business. Plenty of inter-county players have been looked after for years with jobs they aren’t qualified to do but that Ireland is now over and they need to compete with the rest.

I wish Lar Corbett well and hope his pub thrives. And I wish all GAA players out of work a job. But no more so than anyone else, because just like sport, getting on top in the real world should be based on skill and talent and ability. Not on a reputation some think should get them ahead of the curve.

i like lar corbetts models!!
    http://tipptatler.ie/2011/04/2010-hurler-of-the-year-lar-corbett-launches-new-business/

Advertisement