Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying an engagement ring in cork

• 13-02-2015 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have finally decided that I am going to pop the question to my girlfriend on a weekend away we have planned. I am at a complete loss as to where to buy the ring and I may also have left it too late....the weekend away is in 3 weeks. my budget is between 1k-1.5k. Any help would be appreciated. I do know that she likes 3 stone designs. I also know that she would appreciate the ring no matter what. Is it possible to have the ring in 3 weeks?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Keanes Jewellers on Oliver Plunketts street have a good range of rings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Keanes will have something, might be tricky to get 3 stone for that budget in there. Try Blue Nile online as well. They deliver very quickly.

Here ya go... those prices are for the setting only... add diamonds afterwards. Cheapest I can get on there for 3 stone diamond is about 3k.
    http://www.bluenile.com/ie/build-your-own-ring/settings?track=NavEngThreeStone

I'd advise getting a dummy ring, and going ring shopping together. That's fun that girls like too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Congrats to you!! Well done I hope it all goes great now.. Whooppp

Himself was telling me all the places he went to in town, and he said he was a little disappointed with places in town. One place kept watching the cameras while showing him the rings as if he was going to run out the door with them... But of all the places there is a jeweller in Ballincollig called Turquoise Jewellery. A Turkish man very nice, he is down the side street of the main road. I can give you details if you like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭crebel81

hey agaian

thanks for all the replies. From looking at bluenile, the ring could take between 4 -6/8 weeks so that's out of the question. I will check out the Ballincollig jeweller...can you pass on the details please? I do know she is set on white gold, a 3 stone design....I also have a ring belong to her so should have no problems with the size :)

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

crebel81 wrote: »
    hey agaian

thanks for all the replies. From looking at bluenile, the ring could take between 4 -6/8 weeks so that's out of the question. I will check out the Ballincollig jeweller...can you pass on the details please? I do know she is set on white gold, a 3 stone design....I also have a ring belong to her so should have no problems with the size :)

Hiya,

My fiancé ordered my engagement ring online from .diamondsfactory.ie and it's a three-stone white gold ring. It took just under 3 weeks to arrive from the day it was ordered and was perfect! I know he was a bit worried about not seeing before buying but it turned out
    Great for us.

Hth

• Advertisement

Yep well just looking actually there isn't much detail to pass on
    This is his number 4810690

Lets say if you went down the main street heading towards Dunnes and it is the last left turn. It is the only jewellers down there. His wife runs the flower shop next to the shop so if he isn't there ask her. It is best to maybe give him a call first to make sure he has time to talk to you and show you everything

Hiya,

My fiancé ordered my engagement ring online from .diamondsfactory.ie and it's a three-stone white gold ring. It took just under 3 weeks to arrive from the day it was ordered and was perfect! I know he was a bit worried about not seeing before buying but it turned out
    Great for us.

Hth

Looked at this and its a great website, plenty of choices and great value! My only concern is that it wont arrive on time

Milly33 wrote: »
    Yep well just looking actually there isn't much detail to pass on
    This is his number 4810690

Lets say if you went down the main street heading towards Dunnes and it is the last left turn. It is the only jewellers down there. His wife runs the flower shop next to the shop so if he isn't there ask her. It is best to maybe give him a call first to make sure he has time to talk to you and show you everything

Thanks a mill Milly!! I will be sure to give this guy a call

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

crebel81 wrote: »
    Looked at this and its a great website, plenty of choices and great value! My only concern is that it wont arrive on time

Does your girlfriend like charms? My boyfriend got me a gorgeous charm
    For when he proposed as he wasn't sure of my ring size and I absolutely love it. If you've your heart set on having a ring before proposing then it might be cutting it a bit short alright but I'm sure your fiancée wouldn't mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,491 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I would recommend Michel on Patricks Street. Bought one there today (proposed last week, guess it's good news if we were going for a ring). Good range of rings and prices. We paid today, it'll be ready for collection after re-sizing tomorrow. Person in there gave us/her advice and on looking around, no pressure to buy. All-round positive experience (and had that before when buying something else in there).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My husband got mine in Askoy jewellers in Ballincollig. He found them great and they will make rings as well. With my ring he saw one he kind of liked but wanted to make some changes to it and they did that no problem. We got our wedding rings there as well and found them very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Congrats to you!

Unfortunately, I can't help you out as I am based in Dublin, but as I also recently popped the question, maybe can give you some tips!

One piece of advice I might give you though, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, maybe propose with a token ring?

I popped the question on Christmas morning with a token ring, and was glad I did. I picked up a solitaire ring in Swarovski for about 50 euro (looked like a traditional engagement ring to me!) I was debating on whether to buy the real thing beforehand, but decided it would be better to get my fiancée's input, for the fear of choosing something she didn't like for the real ring. Turns out she loves the token ring and will wear it as a dress ring but she was never really mad on that style for an engagement ring.

We were able to do great research when looking around and were able to enjoy the experience. Hopefully whatever you decide goes well for you, best of luck!

Congrats Musy

• Registered Users Posts: 47 summer_chic

Double post in error !

• Registered Users Posts: 47 summer_chic

I recommend platinum works on Oliver plunkett street - he knows his stock inside out , and had my ring ready for collection within the week. I also agree with the others in relation to a "token" ring and then you can both go shopping together , but to each their own ! Enjoy !

Thanks for all the input. I checked out platinum works....Way over my budget! I will try Turquoise Jewellery in Ballincollig.

In relation to the token ring idea, this would suit me better, but I think she likes the idea of me getting the ring :)

Oh if you think she likes the idea then go for it. Himself had me sussed beforehand to see if I would like a token ring or the ring and I always said I would prefer if he picked it, and me thinks I like it more because he did...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23 MadelineX

Hi OP
    I second the recommendation for Aksoy jewellers. As well as a location in the city, they also have a shop in Ballincollig. we got all 3 rings from them ( ER and both wedding bands) and are delighted with them.
    Good luck!

Hey all

I have decided to opt for a token ring and then to go engagement shopping together (assuming she says yes) :)

Any advice on where to get one? One that looks like an engagement ring. I have heard of folk buying them in argos, claire's accessories etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

There is a shop called Alfa S&A silver on Oliver Plunkett street on the GPO end that are very good value. You'd probably get a nice ring for around 30e. Neville Jewellers in Wilton also have nice, reasonable rings.

• Advertisement

Is that they silver shop up closer to lets say they fountain Daisy..They do have some pretty rings in there.. Or the silver shop in, thinking it is still there. the one in the Savoy they have some really nice bits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

Milly33 wrote: »
    Is that they silver shop up closer to lets say they fountain Daisy..They do have some pretty rings in there.. Or the silver shop in, thinking it is still there. the one in the Savoy they have some really nice bits

The one I am talking about is on the other end of the street. I think you may be thinking of Silverwood? They do have some lovely stuff.

Is the shop in the Savoy still there. I used to love it but thought it closed?

it could have now I haven't really gone in there is years. no 19or 15 was it called it was a gem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

We got engaged secretly then found my ring here - http://www.oreillysfineart.com/.

If she likes vintage at all you will save massively at the auctions and get something really unique. We paid 1800 for a ring worth 6500 and they valued for it. They can't legally value it wrong or the insurance would sue them.

It's not for everyone but good to know about as we had no clue til someone mentioned it in passing to us :)

Best of luck

Advertisement