Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish Dish for Valentine's

Options
  • 09-02-2015 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭

All the stuff I can cook well involves meat! She's a bloody pescatarian and I'm at a total loss for what to cook, the fish dishes I do are only ever simple yokes like baked mackerel or salmon with veg. I was thinking about a fish stew of some variety or maybe a prawn green curry? Has anyone any good ideas from the repertoire??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

A seafood paella?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Giant prawns fried in garlic butter served with crusty White rolls. Never fails! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭eimsRV

I made this recently while entertaining. It was great as I made the sauce before hand, and just placed in the oven when guest arrived. It was really lovely

Cod Fish Curry

oil for cooking
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    1.5lb cod fillets (thicker ones are better)
    1 tsp garlic
    1 tsp ginger
    1 green chilli
    1/2 tsp turmeric
    1/2 tsp chilli powder
    1/2 tsp garam masala
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tin chopped tomatoes
    Chopped coriander to garnish

Blend the garlic, ginger, chilli & tomatoes in a blender to a thick paste. Heat the oil in a pan & fry the onion till soft. Add the contents of blender, turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala & salt & cook for about 10 mins. Arrange the fish fillets in a large casserole dish & cover with the spiced mixture on top of the fish.
    Cover & cook in a pre-heated oven at about 180C for about 25-30 mins. Garnish with the fresh coriander & serve with basmati rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Fish pie!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Some kind of fish en papilotte maybe? There's a recipe by Hill Bully in the cooking club which I can vouch for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hill Bully??? I'm not that mean. Am I? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Linguine with shellfish. Make up a tomato sauce with basil and garlic. Boil linguine until al dente. Flash fry butterflied prawns and scallops, adding a few mussels or clams once the prawns are well coloured. Tip over the pasta and dress with sauce.

Cooking the shellfish takes minutes, so have everything ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Locatelli cod with lentils

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Get a whole (gutted and scaled) sea bass or sea bream from a fishmonger (should cost about a fiver). Stuff the cavity with fresh herbs and lemon slices and drizzle the fish with oil. Roast until the eyes turn white (15 - 20 minutes). Serve with whatever you want! Looks impressive despite being easy. Filleting it after cooking is also quite easy.

Alternatively, and even easier, you could do the following Cooking Club recipe which is really good (and easy):
    Sea Bass with lime chilli and ginger.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

One of my favourite, easy fish dishes is adapted from a Jamie Oliver one. I can't find it online but this is the gist. (My version usually includes bacon lardons but not in this case for your gf.)

Throw some baby potatoes into a preheated oven, drizzled with oil, sea salt, pepper and fresh thyme sprigs, for 20 minutes.

Remove from the oven and lay some white fish fillets on top of the baby potatoes, and season again with salt and pepper, squeezing some lemon juice over. Pop back in the oven for 15 minutes.

I also like to fill a small dish with cherry tomatoes on the vine and add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and garlic, and roast them alongside the fish and potatoes for the final 15 minutes.

Serve with a dressed salad and some tartare sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,135 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Cod (or monkfish cheeks) with Butter beans and sherry.

6 large cod cheeks (skin off)

1 Medium onion diced

3 Cloves of garlic diced

2 Tomatoes (deseeded) diced

1 400g tin of butter beans

A glass of amontillado sherry

Handful of chopped Parsley

Salt

Pepper

Smoked paprika

Serves Two

Sweat down the onion and garlic over a low heat in a saucepan with a good sized glug of extra virgin olive oil until translucent. Throw in the tomato and continue cooking. turn up the heat and pour in your glass of sherry and cook it down for a couple of minutes. Pour in a drained can of butter beans and turn down the heat until warmed through. Stir in the parsley and season to taste.

Get a frying pan on a high heat. Rub the cod cheeks with a little olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of smoked paprika.

When the pan is smoking hot, place the cod cheeks gently into the pan and fry on each side for about 2 minutes. Careful not to overload the pan or else the cheeks will boil in the oil and not fry.

Serve by placing a couple of spoonfuls of the butterbeans on each plate and place the cod cheeks on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

This is fairly handy to make:

Smoochy music
    2 x cod (or other white fish) fillets
    2 x tins tomatoes
    4 x garlic cloves, whole but peeled
    1 x good pinch of Herbs de Provence
    1 x small jar pitted (preferably sliced) black olives, drained
    1 x generous glass of cheap white wine (don't waste the good stuff :pac:)
    half teaspoon of fennel seeds (be very sparing with these - they can overpower the dish)

Method:

Start the smoochy music on a low volume.

Horse all ingredients into an ovenproof dish, cover, and bake for about 1.5 - 2 hours.

Serve with wine (the good stuff) and baby potatoes garnished with rosemary. Crusty bread goes well with this to mop up the juices.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Horse all ingredients into an ovenproof dish, cover, and bake for about 1.5 - 2 hours.

I like your recipe (especially the smoochy music tips :pac:) but wouldn't cooking white fish for this long completely ruin it? 15 mins in the oven is plenty for most white fish fillets!

If I was making this I'd let the sauce simmer away and add the fish at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I like your recipe (especially the smoochy music tips :pac:) but wouldn't cooking white fish for this long completely ruin it? 15 mins in the oven is plenty for most white fish fillets!

If I was making this I'd let the sauce simmer away and add the fish at the end.

You know what, myself and herself always have this discussion about overcooking things. We think we do, and we think it is a very Irish thing.

Personally, I'd be a bit paranoid about cooking fish for only 15 mins, but I take your point.

The fish does not dry out, thanks to all the liquid ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Stir-fry of mixed fish with cous-cous.

Slice and fry your selection of vegetables, in order of tenderness, as usual with any stir-fry dish. Then push the veg to one side and quickly sear some cubed mixed fish and a handful of prawns. Let all cook together a few minutes, then add mashed ginger, garlic, and a shake of chilli powder. Fry a minute, then 100ml stock. soy sauce if wished.
    Garnish with chopped scallions

Serve over couscous or rice or with Indian breads.

Advertisement