Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2002 Focus, worth putting back on the road?

Options
  • 10-07-2014 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi,

I bought a new car in Sept 2013. I kept my old car (02 Focus saloon) and its parked in the driveway for the past 10 months. I havent started it in that time.

The car was driving ok except that it needed some work on the power steering which would cost a few hundred euro. I had intended to fix that and sell it on but didnt have the cash to do it.

So I have a few questions:
    - Is it worth putting it back on the road at all? On CBG, a 2002 Ford Focus are approx 2k.
    - What would I need to do to get this moving? I could charge the battery but how likely is it to start?
    - If I did get it started, would it be safe to drive a few miles to a garage? (i.e. should engine oil be replaced first, brakes bled, etc.). Or should I get it towed to a garage?
    - Tax is out since last year and I never declared it off the road. Am I correct in saying that if I sell it, the new owner will not get caught for tax since Sept 2013?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

- Is it worth putting it back on the road at all? On CBG, a 2002 Ford Focus are approx 2k.

If you have the time and money, i'd say yes. They are popular enough and should be an easy enough sale if the numbers add up. How long since it's last NCT?

- What would I need to do to get this moving? I could charge the battery but how likely is it to start?

Shouldn't be too tough i'd imagine. 10 months shouldn't be too long.

- If I did get it started, would it be safe to drive a few miles to a garage? (i.e. should engine oil be replaced first, brakes bled, etc.). Or should I get it towed to a garage?

Hard to say without seeing it tbh. I'd probably just tow it.

- Tax is out since last year and I never declared it off the road. Am I correct in saying that if I sell it, the new owner will not get caught for tax since Sept 2013?

New owner would only be liable for tax from the month the car was purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Sell it as is where it sits and declare faults in advert, only thing I'd consider buying for it is a cheap battery for 50 euro assuming the old one won't take a charge, ask 1300 for it as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Bigus wrote: »
    Sell it as is where it sits and declare faults in advert, only thing I'd consider buying for it is a cheap battery for 50 euro assuming the old one won't take a charge, ask 1300 for it as is.

Highly unlikely to get anything like 1300 for it with no NCT / tax / power steering fault and whatever else that's arisen during it sitting up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

mh_cork wrote: »
    Hi,

I bought a new car in Sept 2013. I kept my old car (02 Focus saloon) and its parked in the driveway for the past 10 months. I havent started it in that time.

The car was driving ok except that it needed some work on the power steering which would cost a few hundred euro. I had intended to fix that and sell it on but didnt have the cash to do it.

So I have a few questions:

Thanks in advance!
    YOU will have to explain that in greater detail to the nice lady in the tax office;)new owner is only responsible for tax from the month he bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

YOU will have to explain that in greater detail to the nice lady in the tax office;)new owner is only responsible for tax from the month he bought it.

Why would you need to explain anything to anyone in the tax office? If the car is sold any previous arrears before date of sale will be written off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Highly unlikely to get anything like 1300 for it with no NCT / tax / power steering fault and whatever else that's arisen during it sitting up.

I didn't say he'd get 1300 for I said ask 1300.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Bigus wrote: »
    I didn't say he'd get 1300 for I said ask 1300.

He'll be lucky to get a phone call if he's asking 1300

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I'm going to try and charge the battery and start the car. Theres no doubt that any potential buyer would be wary, so I think showing that the car is running to a potential buyer would be better. But it was a good car while I had it, in 4 years it never gave me any trouble. I would have kept it on the road but I got a really good deal on a new car.

Didnt say earlier but it has just over 100,000 miles on the clock which would probably be typical for a car its age.

Advertisement