Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to park?

• 10-07-2014 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

So theres pay parking in front of the house and the council provided a car park for us. Dont get me wrong its a great spot you could fit 10 cars in it handy and its divided between the 4 neighbours. The car park is enclosed by a 15 foot wall and the only way in is to go down an alley beside the house and there are big wooden gates on the alley and only the 4 of us have the key for gates.

Anyway, my car is wide yoke and its a real tight drive down. Could be looking at an inch or two either side for an 11 meter drive. Shes a new enough car and I just dont want to be getting it scratched.

Council reckon Im not entitled to park on the street seeing as they basically gave us a private car park for nothing. If the car wouldnt phsycially fit it would be a different story but apparantly Im just being awkward. Blah blah blah if you drive carefully like your supposed to be driving you wont have anything to worry about yada yada yada...

Where do I stand now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I'd be delighted with private, gated parking for free. Take your time or fit parking sensors to the car.

How big is the car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

yep that sounds actually lovely, might just takes a few seconds more a day to park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

h.bolla wrote: »
    So theres pay parking in front of the house and the council provided a car park for us. Dont get me wrong its a great spot you could fit 10 cars in it handy and its divided between the 4 neighbours. The car park is enclosed by a 15 foot wall and the only way in is to go down an alley beside the house and there are big wooden gates on the alley and only the 4 of us have the key for gates.

Anyway, my car is wide yoke and its a real tight drive down. Could be looking at an inch or two either side for an 11 meter drive. Shes a new enough car and I just dont want to be getting it scratched.

Council reckon Im not entitled to park on the street seeing as they basically gave us a private car park for nothing. If the car wouldnt phsycially fit it would be a different story but apparantly Im just being awkward. Blah blah blah if you drive carefully like your supposed to be driving you wont have anything to worry about yada yada yada...

Where do I stand now?

Look up their own guidelines for access roads and aisle ways in carparks that they would hold developers to when granting planning for residential or commercial developments. If they don't meet these guidelines, let them know ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Look up their own guidelines for access roads and aisle ways in carparks that they would hold developers to when granting planning for residential or commercial developments. If they don't meet these guidelines, let them know ;).

I'm sure they'd happily comply and take 3 feet off the ops house to widen it.:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm sure they'd happily comply and take 3 feet off the ops house to widen it.:-)

Or just close it altogether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Or just close it altogether

Wouldn't be making too much of a wave about free parking or this could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭h.bolla

ironclaw wrote: »
    Wouldn't be making too much of a wave about free parking or this could happen.

Well Im paying for tickets outside the house.... so doesnt make a whole big bunch of odds if they did close it. Come to think about it, if they did close it then they would be obligated to let us park on the street.

Look up their own guidelines for access roads and aisle ways in carparks that they would hold developers to when granting planning for residential or commercial developments. If they don't meet these guidelines, let them know.

Thats not a bad idea. I'll check that out tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

What type of car is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

This is the best advice here....

Before you bought the car, how long have you been living with this free parking situation. What kind of car did you buy, did you realise that there might be a tight squeeze when you bought the car..?

This is the best advice here....

Before you bought the car, how long have you been living with this free parking situation. What kind of car did you buy, did you realise that there might be a tight squeeze when you bought the car..?

Its a BM. We have had the house for a while but weren't actually living in it. It was only in the past few weeks that I've "moved in" and me moving in wasn't on the agenda when I bought house or car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I was expecting you to say its a Cadillac or something :pac:

Would a BMW be much bigger than other cars? How do your neighbours manage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Have you tried collapsing your side mirrors before driving in?

djimi wrote: »
    I was expecting you to say its a Cadillac or something :pac:

Would a BMW be much bigger than other cars? How do your neighbours manage?

No the BM is only just slightly bigger than the other cars, but the neighbours think its a tight fit too but they have an extra inch or two to play with.

Like I said I only have about an inch or so either side and its 11 meters of a drive. I have used the car park the odd time, but sooner or later I will end up scratching it.

I dont want to lose the car park on the neighbours either. But at same time its no good to me.

Im half thinking if I got someone to sign me over a van or jeep or something that definitely wont fit, get my clearence for street parking (I think its just a little disc isnt it?) and then sign the van back and then happy days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

h.bolla wrote: »
    Im half thinking if I got someone to sign me over a van or jeep or something that definitely wont fit, get my clearence for street parking (I think its just a little disc isnt it?) and then sign the van back and then happy days.

The disc has the reg on it, and you have to provide, VLC, insurance cert and utility bill to get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I think you'll get used to it a lot quicker than you realise.

Plus I'd be more sure of ending up with scratches and damage from on street parking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

will get use dto it. I have an a6 and its wide too, pita for city carparks especially college of surgeons, but its doable just keep it slow and take care. Before you know it you will do it in your sleep!

will get use dto it. I have an a6 and its wide too, pita for city carparks especially college of surgeons, but its doable just keep it slow and take care. Before you know it you will do it in your sleep!

Thanks for the advice. I hope you're right, Im thinking now I might just try it and see how it goes. Gonna pick up one of these first though

w ww . halfords .i e /motoring/car-styling/exterior-protection/halfords-bodywork-protectors-black

Advertisement