Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pre NCT Advice/Questions

• 16-12-2013 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what I should check on my car before I run it through the NCT, it is getting tested Saturday.
    It's a 00D Opel Corsa 1.2 petrol, it's been serviced not so long ago.
    I looked up the NCT site pre checks
    Any others I should look at?
    Like are my CV joint boots cracked, are my tires legal, etc etc?
    It's booked in for Saturday at 9am but now I'm working, I could ask someone to bring it for me, but I'm off every weekday this week, any chance I could ring and put on a cancelation list or something? I only live 5 mins from the test centre.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just check that all bulbs are working, if not get a new one and fit.
    Check tyres thread depth and pressure them to appropriate PSI.
    Remove crap from boot and tidy the car generally.
    If you have plastic wheel trims remove them so wheel nuts can be seen.

The rest is now up to god and the tester :D

You can try asking someone to bring it for you, if you can't find anyone ring NCT to reschedule.
    Or drop it down in the morning and tell them you'll be back for it before closing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

biko wrote: »
    Just check that all bulbs are working, if not get a new one and fit.
    Check tyres thread depth and pressure them to appropriate PSI.
    Remove crap from boot and tidy the car generally.
    If you have plastic wheel trims remove them so wheel nuts can be seen.
    Good advice.

You can go a little further and check your seat belts (any wear on the belts, latches engaging, etc.), check the CV joint boots for grease leaks, etc. The tyre pressure will be checked by the Tester anyway.
    Do not bother going to a garage to carry out "pre-NCT test". The NCT Centre is paid for to do that job for you.
    biko wrote: »
    Or drop it down in the morning and tell them you'll be back for it before closing?
    I would rather avoid leaving my car for hours before they test it, as the engine needs to be warmed up prior to the emissions test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aye, OP said the test is at 9am so I was thinking if she drops it down at 8.55 and hands keys over (after making sure engine temp is at operating temp) then they will test it when they get to it as per usual.
    Afterwards it can sit in NCT parking until she comes for it.
    Best ring and ask if this is an option for you OP, or even drop in beforehand and chat to them. Sometimes I've seen people drop in and ask about test times at the centre itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 Gairdin nua

Folks,
    A brief query. I have moved from UK and re registered my car here in the republic, got a Reg Cert number plate, the lot, have discovered I lost the original UK log book since then which will be £25 to have it re issued by Swansea.
    Q When my car comes up for the NCT will they require the original UK log book or is the Irish Registration Certificate the equivalent? In other words can I save myself the £25?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

For the NCT they are only interested in the Irish registration document.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 Gairdin nua

Thank you, feel £25 beter off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

I was never asked to show my logbook, only showing the driving license. It might be different if you go for a retest but then you have 1 month again to get the car retested.

Advertisement