Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

21,part-time,JA or JB??

Options
  • 16-06-2011 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys just looking for some information.

I have earned a total of under 3000 euro since the start of the year. I work part time and have left college this summer and will not be returning since I cannot afford the fees.

As soon as I finished college I applied for JB since I was working. I was asked to bring in proof of ID and address and fill in the forms obviously... I thought this was strange as they didn't ask for financial info.

Low and behold I didn't get my first cheque on the Tuesday so I waited another week hoping it was a backlog. The next week(this week) I received a letter asking for information on my job and for gross pay and hours worked since the start of the year.

So I got all this info and was in with them today. After waiting at the hatch for a while the person I was dealing with came back with his supervisor. They proceeded to ask such questions as
    *What I was doing last year
    *How many hours I worked per week avg last year
    *asked about my college

I explained that I'm flat broke, renting and need some support. He explained that they understand that but they were looking as to "what is the best direction for me to take" as in JB or JA.
    I was given more forms and asked to bring them back when the job and myself fill them in.

Now I don't understand why this arose as I was under the impression that if a person is working they receive JB and not JA?
    Why would they be looking into giving me JA when I work part time?
    I asked what was the difference, he replied that I would receive more on Jobseekers Allowance as opposed to the Jobseekers Benefits.

Now I must add that I am 21 and no matter what I am on (JB or JA), I was also under the impression that the most I can receive is €100 p/w?

Can someone clarify anything here for me.?
    For some reason I feel they are investigating my claim beyond what it merits.
    It is plain and simple the way I see it. I am broke, on course to earn a whole €6000 over the full year without Social Welfare, my stamps from previous years should cover me, I am finished with college, there is no grey area.

<<< snip>>>>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Now I don't understand why this arose as I was under the impression that if a person is working they receive JB and not JA?
    If you qualify for JB you can opt for JA instead.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

If you have been working casually/part-time in the same job, working the same hours, earning the same money, you won't qualify for Benefit. To qualify for Benefit, there need to be what they call sub-loss - so a substantial loss in your hours and pay over the past 13-26 weeks. For this time period if you have been working the same hours etc. you won't qualify for Benefit, even if you have the stamps.
    Your rate for payment for benefit, if you have the stamps, depends on your earnings in 2009. If your average weekly earnings in 2009 were less than €150, you would only be entitled to €84.50. The full rate you would receive on Allowance would be €100, depending on your earnings, you may be better off on Allowance.
    So it can be complicated, and needs to be investigated thoroughly for them to be sure you are receiving your correct entitlement so they do need all the information they are asking for.

Advertisement