Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new square for limerick

Options
  • 24-08-2006 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

whats all these rumours about there being a new square or park in the center of town? is there anymore talks on this on a website or r these just rumours?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

What rumours.. where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

What rumours.. where?
    i was looking at an artical on the post that a few blocks were been torn down, the roches block, pennies/burger king block and the whole of the arthurs key and they said that an "Eyre square" type park was to be put into the area of the arthers key place??? anyone else hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Ah I seem to remember that. I think some developer had grand plans to redevelop that whole area, including some sort of underground express road going under the quays. Can't seem to find any links though..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

To be honest i dont think it will ever happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

To be honest i dont think it will ever happen.

It just might as the developer who owns Arthurs quay will have to make a decision anyways on the entire block (which is a monster) when the Opera centre comes on, as AQ will be rightly fooked..

It would make sense to build an underpass to carry the one way traffic once the pedestrianisation goes ahead. So despite the project being ambitious, I think it's a grand plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭sioda

The proposal was put forward by the guy who owns or developed (can't remember) Arthurs quay

mysterious wrote:
    when the Opera centre comes onQUOTE]

I'm really starting to doubt this development, they are really taken they're time with the site and construction etc

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

mysterious wrote:
    when the Opera centre comes onQUOTE]

I'm really starting to doubt this development, they are really taken they're time with the site and construction etc

yeah, you'd think that they wouldve wanted to get started on it straight away..but if past projects have anything to do with it (like the dual carriageway out castletroy way..) it will be delayed no matter when they start!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Centra down there was supposedly given an extra million to close ahead of schedule, should be closed this week or next i think, dunno if there's anything in that

I think it's the guy who developed Arthurs Quay with "the plan", but that's not there all that long. Roches is now about the only clean building in the city centre so it would be a shame to tear it down, though the interior layout probably demands a gutting, but the shell looks classy.

Brown Thomas on the other hand. There's a bul=ilding I'd like to get some sandstone cladding on and BOI. Dear God, are there any nice buildings at that end of town!!

Brown Thomas Limerick is not compared to the Others BT's, Cork is gorgeous as is Dublin and Galway. But Limerick's Building is really horrible and ugly looking. The other BT's also get nice red fabric canopys and limerick gets a glass one, which doesnt suit the building at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The other BT's also get nice red fabric canopys and limerick gets a glass one, which doesnt suit the building at all!

The only thing that would suit the outside of that building is a wrecking ball or a complete recladding

Advertisement