Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting started

Options
  • 23-11-2014 8:26pm

So I want to get into detailing. At the moment I just give my car an occaisonal wash with a sponge and hose. I've been creeping around on this forum and have realised this is not the right way to clean a car. So from what I've read I think I have the process okay but I need a little clarification. Firstly I have a black BMW E46 which I believe is a hard paint. So I start with a pre wash with a foam lance, would I be able to skip this step for now just to keep the cost down? I have a power washer so could I rinse it with the power washer and then clean it with the 2BM and microfiber mitt? Do I nedd a scratch shield in both buckets or would one do? Next step de-tar, rinse, de-iron with fallout remover, rinse again and then clay. Wash with 2BM again dry it with a microfiber drying towel and then polish. I want to get a machine polisher so I was thinking of a DA 700 watt or more and heavy cutting polish and pad since its a BMW. I'd also get a finishing pad and polish. Can someone recommend me a polisher, pads and polish? After this a wax is better for dark colours right? So any other tips? I'm on the right track? Also how long should I spend polishing. The car has some small scrapes and swirl marks. I know it all depends but lets say a ten year old car that hasn't been polished since God only knows when.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

You essentially have everything right!

Instead of the snow foam lance, perhaps consider a pump sprayer to apply something pre-rinse, to soften the dirt. You could go straight to rinsing though.

Choosing a DA with 700+ Watt is the right choice too. Anything less will bog down amd progress will be quite slow. BMW paint is hard as you know and how long to spend polishing is asking how long is a piece of string. You could do a light 2 stage enhancement polish which will take 6-8 hours. First pass with a heavy pad and polish and a 2nd pass with a finishing pad and polish. It wont remove all the defects but the appearance will be vastly improved.

Yes, wax, as a rule of thumb, is better on darker colours, but there are some sealants that will look equally well. Depends what you want to get out of the protection, which will affect your choice....durability, appearance, application, removal, and of course, budget.

Thaks for the reply. So if I was to spend 8 hours polishing would I spend 6 of those with the heavy cut polish and about 2 with the light polish?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

No; for a 2 stage polish, it would be 4 with the heavy combo, going around all the panels once. Then another 4 hours refining the finish with the light combo. If you wanted to do more correction, then you'd spend more with the heavy combo. Certain panels will have more swirling that others. The roof, for example, will have less than the sides of the car - the passengers side will have more than the drivers side, due to being driven along ditches and getting light scrapes from bushes, etc. So certain panels will need more time spent on them. You might need to do 2 passes of heavy polishing on the sides and bonnet, one on the roof, etc and then once all over with the finishing combo.
    Really depends on what level of correction you want to achieve, and how well the heavy combo is correcting the defects. With a DA, you might have to do 3 or 4 sets to achieve 100% correction....which is pointless chasing on a daily driver. 70-80% correction will be a massive improvement, and from 4-5ft away it will look very well.

Right that makes sense. So if you were going to buy a DA polisher tomorrow which one would you buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr Detail

MAXFANTANA wrote: »
    Right that makes sense. So if you were going to buy a DA polisher tomorrow which one would you buy?

I ways recommend the das6 pro machine. It's a little dearer than the standard but it's worth it for sure and especially for tackling German paint.

Check out the "junkman" videos on YouTube, he does excellent guides and has some on polishing with a DA

• Advertisement
Advertisement