Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replace door seal on a washing machine.

Options
  • 28-02-2014 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

If anyone could tell me how to do this I would really appreciate it. There is a very small leak coming from the front door of my washing machine ( beko eco care wma1512m) . I purchased a new door seal and want to replace the door seal but don't have a notion what I'm doing.

Is this something I could do myself or should I get someone in?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

I think there are a few videos on YouTube, but it's a tricky/frustrating job, you kind of need 3 hands!
    You could spend an hour at it and still be at the start. You'll need a decent array of tools too.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭ccull123

GopErthike wrote: »
    I think there are a few videos on YouTube, but it's a tricky/frustrating job, you kind of need 3 hands!
    You could spend an hour at it and still be at the start. You'll need a decent array of tools too.

Ya that's what I'm thinking myself. If anyone knows of anybody who does this kind of working in the Lucan area of Dublin could they let me know please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

The seal has 2 securing bands, one outside around the seal/case and one inside around the seal/drum, free the outer one first and push into the drum to allow you to get to the inner band, a small smear of washing up liquid will help get the new one on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

ccull123 wrote: »
    Hi all,

If anyone could tell me how to do this I would really appreciate it. There is a very small leak coming from the front door of my washing machine ( beko eco care wma1512m) . I purchased a new door seal and want to replace the door seal but don't have a notion what I'm doing.

Is this something I could do myself or should I get someone in?

Thanks

As a neighbour of mine might say, "It's a hoor of a job".
    Loosening and retightening the two metal bands is the most difficult part.
    Over the years I have built up a wide selection of screwdrivers:flexible shaft, stubbies, angle headed, ratcheted, etc.
    When my youngest son turned seven and became interested in mechanical things, his small hands and arms proved a real boon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

as an extra to the advice already recd with the washer plugged out tilt it roughly at an angle of 45 back against the wall, this allows more hand room inside the cabinet, with old gasket removed position the new one with the drain hole at 6oc position and start fitting at the top of the tub and work downwards at both sides until it all fits into position, then turn the outer edge back into the the s/s drum and fit the spring loaded retainer the same way but you will need a third hand/finger to hold this from jumping off unless you are a really good diyer

• Advertisement

you will need a third hand/finger to hold this from jumping off unless you are a really good diyer

I have a few small wooden wedges I use as the finger, works a treat. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Good videos at www.espares.co.uk. And their price, albeit in sterling, are way better than Irish retailers.

that would depend on the retailer, I buy Irish and don't pay the postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭ccull123

First of all thanks everyone for all the advice. I saw a video on YouTube where they take the front off of the Washing machine to make ot easier. Is this really the case?

Also does anyone know of any other fix to stop the leak without having to replace the door seal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

if the machine has a removable front like a Siemens/Bosch etc I remove the panel otherwise I do it the way I explained, have a go at fitting it and let us know you get on any more advice and you will be only all confuuused

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I think I saw the same video as you OP,
    What kind of retaining clips/springs are there?

You will probably need to correctly align the seal, could be some marks on the seal/frame to guide where it should be, but look at how the old seal was fitted.

Also compare the new and old seal to ensure they are the same, preferably before paying, so if you can see the seal in a bricks and mortar shop. Theres a place in town (north frederick st or frederick st), do appliance spares. (edit, I realise you said you have seal, just make sure they are the same).

Also, it's likely the seal will need to be turned inside out for fitting, instal the inner retaining clip or spring, care using tools not to pinch the seal, extra hands help.
    The fold it out into its normal position and fit the outer clip, probably dont need to take off the top cover or front of machine.

It also helps if you swear baxtard a lot, especially if the spring has come off three times and you're back to square one after an hour.

In my opinion, is look at it first, then have an extra set of hands available, just to hold the inner spring (assuming its a spring) in place.

I doubt the leak can be stopped, if its by abrasion wear or damage, unless repositioning the door seal slightly helps, but as you have a new seal, might be just worth fitting.

Advertisement