Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus and Rush Hour

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

markpb wrote: »
    If you mean Harristown, I wouldn't call it close to the airport. It's close to the west end of the runway but its a long drive from there to the coach park. Facilitiess for the drivers in the airport would be much better if they were available.
    Less than ten minutes to be exact. Rather close in comparison to Summerhill.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

LordSutch wrote: »
    I guess people congregate round the front doors because they are also the Exit doors, stay close to get off quick?
    Middle doors used as an Exit would ease this problem on DB.

You know it is an interesting question.

Some claim that by having middle doors, you would have increased fare evasion from people trying to sneak in the middle doors.

Now I doubt that would actually happen, with both passengers and drivers watching the doors. But even if it does, how much money is lost due to people not being able to get on due to the bus looking full due to everyone being near to the front.

How many of those people have walked, cycled or got a taxi instead because the bus looks full. I wonder if this lose could be equal or greater then the lose due to increased fare evasion.

I'm not sure there is any way to tell, but an interesting thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I remember bus drivers used to tell you as you got on 'plenty of seats upstairs' to warn you that the people clogging the downstairs standing area are doing so out of choice rather than need, but this seems to have stopped. :confused:

Several times in the last few months on different routes at rush hour I've gotten on, squeezed past 5 or more people standing downstairs and had a look upstairs only to find anything from maybe 4 to 20 free spaces upstairs, it's mental! :eek:

I think this often starts as people see 1 person standing and assume there's no seats and this has a knock-on effect, or else they're all worried about getting off on time

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yup that is why the new buses have a lcd screen by the stairs that shows a video feed of upstairs, so that you can see the free seats.

However I wonder if the LCD screen would not be better positioned by the front above the baggage rack facing the idiots standing there.

In future perhaps they could even put some sort of sensor on the stairs to count the number of passengers up stairs and then they could put on the LCD screen something like 10 free seats upstairs, please use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

bk wrote: »
    You know it is an interesting question.

Some claim that by having middle doors, you would have increased fare evasion from people trying to sneak in the middle doors.

Now I doubt that would actually happen, with both passengers and drivers watching the doors. But even if it does, how much money is lost due to people not being able to get on due to the bus looking full due to everyone being near to the front.

How many of those people have walked, cycled or got a taxi instead because the bus looks full. I wonder if this lose could be equal or greater then the lose due to increased fare evasion.

I'm not sure there is any way to tell, but an interesting thought.

With the amount of "customers" currently avoiding paying what would a few more add, just let the DSP pass holders use the middle doors:D

If they increased the number of ticket inspectors they could use the middle doors. Send then out in groups and block the exits till all passengers have been checked. It might help take some of the incorrectly used passes out of the system.

We aren't alone in having people not willing to pay for public transport services they are using. But we are alone in not doing anything to resolve the issue, apart from inconveniencing the people who are actually paying and have other options.

bk wrote: »
    Yup that is why the new buses have a lcd screen by the stairs that shows a video feed of upstairs, so that you can see the free seats.

However I wonder if the LCD screen would not be better positioned by the front above the baggage rack facing the idiots standing there.

In future perhaps they could even put some sort of sensor on the stairs to count the number of passengers up stairs and then they could put on the LCD screen something like 10 free seats upstairs, please use them.

Make something idiot proof and they'll make a better idiot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

pm1977x wrote: »
    Several times in the last few months on different routes at rush hour I've gotten on, squeezed past 5 or more people standing downstairs and had a look upstairs only to find anything from maybe 4 to 20 free spaces upstairs, it's mental! :eek:

It would make you wonder why people do this. Maybe it's down to:

* to keep an eye on their luggage (on Heuston, Connolly and Airport routes)
    * they're carrying bags or shopping which are awkward to carry upstairs
    * navigating stairs on a bus can be challenging for some people
    * they're worried about missing their stop when the bus is busy
    * they're worried about not knowing where their stop is
    * they're getting off after a short distance
    * there can be a lot of smoking and other anti-social behaviour upstairs on certain routes

You can blame people for being stupid/wrong all you like but sometimes there are good reasons for their behaviour. The first and firth reasons lie firmly at the foot of Dublin Bus to fix. The last is down to the Gardai and judicial system and are harder to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Up past Swords Manor? The DB timetable and reality vary greatly.
    In the morning, the 41c can take three different routes once it gets past Swords village... and sometimes it even went via the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

It would make you wonder why people do this. Maybe it's down to:

* to keep an eye on their luggage (on Heuston, Connolly and Airport routes)
    * they're carrying bags or shopping which are awkward to carry upstairs
    * navigating stairs on a bus can be challenging for some people
    * they're worried about missing their stop when the bus is busy
    * they're worried about not knowing where their stop is
    * they're getting off after a short distance
    * there can be a lot of smoking and other anti-social behaviour upstairs on certain routes

You can blame people for being stupid/wrong all you like but sometimes there are good reasons for their behaviour. The first and firth reasons lie firmly at the foot of Dublin Bus to fix. The last is down to the Gardai and judicial system and are harder to fix.

all fair points but most of the times I've seen it there's been no luggage involved, they all seemed perfectly capable of making it upstairs (and some followed me up when they realised I hadn't come back down) and very few got off before the 15-20 min mark. But obviously people use it differently, just a shame if they end up clogging up space due to fear of getting off on time or fear of what's happening upstairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

A lot of smoking upstairs on some routes!

Don't other passengers tell them off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Makes it sound as though the upstairs smoking ban never went into effect. That was instituted about two decades ago, wasn't it? I suppose the Beatles song A Day In The Life makes for bad influence..."Found my coat and grabbed my hat, made the bus in seconds flat / Found my way upstairs and had a smoke; somebody spoke and I went into a dream ..."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I even remember smoking on the London underground in the early 80s :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Smoking isn't that much of an anti-social behaviour really. I'd have loud groups of people going into town on a night out, roaring at each other, with drivers warning some people not to go upstairs as more anti-social than smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Because the people smoking are often people who have no fear of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I depend on the 42 and 42 down the Malahide Road

I'm convinced the volume of buses on the route drops between 730 and 900.. The time between buses definitely goes up and then most buses just scream on by packed with school kids and pensioners..

Would it hurt to put on extra buses during rush hour? Especially to cater for the school kids..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

lawred2 wrote: »
    I depend on the 42 and 42 down the Malahide Road

I'm convinced the volume of buses on the route drops between 730 and 900.. The time between buses definitely goes up and then most buses just scream on by packed with school kids and pensioners..

Would it hurt to put on extra buses during rush hour? Especially to cater for the school kids..

Virtually every bus in the fleet is on the road during the morning rush hour, bar maintenance cover and vehicles having maintenance exams.

I am assuming you mean the 42 and 43. There would have been issues this morning (and a couple of weeks back) when the railway was closed due to a fallen tree. This meant that the 42 and 142 would have been full leaving Malahide, which would have a knock on effect on the 43 as well.

Unfortunately it's fairly inevitable that as traffic builds, gaps between buses that leave at the same interval will grow further along the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭alentejo

No room in any buses in Terenure / Rathgar on the 15 route this morning. Recon DB lost lots of good revenue with people forced to walk into town. Either way, disgrace that this should happen

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Suzyq

Did DB reduce their fleet during the recession and should they know look at increasing their stock?

It has become crazy in the mornings over the past 3 - 4 weeks. I am on the Malahide Rd also and there simply isn't the capacity there to deal with the level of commuters. This route certainly needs more buses on it during the morning rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Suzyq wrote: »
    Did DB reduce their fleet during the recession and should they know look at increasing their stock?

It has become crazy in the mornings over the past 3 - 4 weeks. I am on the Malahide Rd also and there simply isn't the capacity there to deal with the level of commuters. This route certainly needs more buses on it during the morning rush hour.
    This time of year always has a surge in passengers. Colleges are back, kids going to school etc. It'll be quieter next week with mid-terms. It starts to level off again after Xmas when I presume a small percentage of students decide that fter the 1st semester their course isn't for them or drop out for whatever reason meaning a few less traveling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Daemonic wrote: »
    This time of year always has a surge in passengers. Colleges are back, kids going to school etc. It'll be quieter next week with mid-terms. It starts to level off again after Xmas when I presume a small percentage of students decide that fter the 1st semester their course isn't for them or drop out for whatever reason meaning a few less traveling.

Also - (I suspect)people realise that the walk from (for example as mentioned above) Rathgar is usually as quick as the bus trip into town at certain times. Combined with a lot of people trying to get fit in January it takes a lot of people off of busses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Harristown is basically on the 16 route, surely an arrangement could be made to go there?

• Advertisement
Advertisement