Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the RDF training carry any certification?

Options
  • 21-10-2014 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭

I was in the RDF for a number of years and I'm wondering if any of the training, particularly the firearms training, carries any certification.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

No but the very fact you were in the military implies you had weapons training.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

Define certification, please.

Internally in the military you will be certified by the military process to safely carry and operate firearms you have been trained on. This is a legal certification but only applies to your military service and is not translatable to the outside world.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Naval Reservists do gain certifications. These can be used to qualify for civilian employment.

1. Damage Control and Fire fighting.
    2. Personal Survival training.
    3. First Aid.
    4. PSR.
    5. GMDSS (radio).

These are the one's off the top of my head. All awarded or supervised by Department of Marine and all in accordance with STCW standards. Anyone seeking employment on an oil rig, ferry or generally at sea in any professional capacity needs the first four. These are recognised internationally. If you go into a job interview it's definitely an advantage, even if your certifications are out of date - your ability to pass them is a plus.

Advertisement