Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

kerosene evaporation

• 20-01-2014 2:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭

If I fill my homeheating oil tank during the summer months (when it should generally be cheaper), should I be concerned about evaporation of kerosene ?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

pa990 wrote: »
    If I fill my homeheating oil tank during the summer months (when it should generally be cheaper), should I be concerned about evaporation of kerosene ?

No.

The old seasonal ups and downs in prices don't seem to happen anymore and it is a bit of pot luck about buying at the cheapest time. The biggest pricing factors now seem to be world crude prices and dollar exchange rates.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

It has virtually no evaporation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The lesser spotted VannusTransitus can sometimes be seen to feed on it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

gctest50 wrote: »
    The lesser spotted VannusTransitus can sometimes be seen to feed on it though

and they usually have a major appetite when your away on summer hols:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Was stung once with oil going missing, (i suspect a local person), since then i put a tanklok and a flood light on it, and never a problem since, although the neighbour has since been hit 2 more times.

Good to know that natural evaporation wont be a big problem.

as for the seasonal changes in price, I keep an eye on prices, and generally a june fill will either be the same or a little cheaper than october.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

on a slightly different note,
    are kero additives of any use?

Dipetane or x01479ho (boilermax / exocet)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

pa990 wrote: »
    on a slightly different note,
    are kero additives of any use?

Dipetane or x01479ho (boilermax / exocet)

It would be interesting to see an independent report on their value.
    My gut feeling is that they would serve very little use on a well maintained boiler.

Years ago there was an additive recommended for the old vaporising Aga's. it was short lived for some reason.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

Hi all,

I need to get some Kerosene. I use the oil all through the summer months, to heat water only. In order to get the best value for money I am better buying 1000 ltrs. This will keep us going until November/December this year. My question is this: Is it bad for the Kerosene to be stored in the tank for this period of time (9 months approx by the time it's empty again)?

I did read that it's better if the tank is full during the summer months as this helps prevent condensate building up inside the plastic tank walls, creating a fungus which eventually falls back into the tank and over time creates a sludge which causes problems. I'm not sure how true this is. I'd imagine I would my loss due to evaporation would be minimul due to tank location and summer temperatures in this county!

Advice much appreciated, Tks.

Advertisement