Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Climote a total rip off or am I missing something

• 10-02-2014 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

http://www.climote.ie/products/#climote-remote-control

Was trying to get my head around what it does and as far as I can work out it is a digital interface for a heating system that you can interact with from an app or a PC as opposed to standing up walking over and programming it.

Is that it, am I missing something that justifies the magical price of €399?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Grawns wrote: »
    http://www.climote.ie/products/#climote-remote-control

Was trying to get my head around what it does and as far as I can work out it is a digital interface for a heating system that you can interact with from an app or a PC as opposed to standing up walking over and programming it.

Is that it, am I missing something that justifies the magical price of €399?

its €249.

It also allows for remote operation. Say your running home from work and you want the water on so its hot by the time you get home, do it from the phone. Say you have timers set for it coming on everyday for 60 mins at 6pm, and your out and about, no point heating an empty house, so switch the timer from your phone etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

kceire wrote: »
    its €249.

It also allows for remote operation. Say your running home from work and you want the water on so its hot by the time you get home, do it from the phone. Say you have timers set for it coming on everyday for 60 mins at 6pm, and your out and about, no point heating an empty house, so switch the timer from your phone etc etc

I get the point of remote access and the so-called convienience ( that is optional so hardly the biggest selling point as you pay extra for that after the 1st year ) Also €249 -The RRP is both €299 and €399 on electric Ireland site!

I can't see the savings or convienience paying or compensating for the cost. Still seems a pointless gadget ( masquarading as a green efficiency) that can't turn the heat up or down, only on or off and has no thermostatic link in. Still seems a waste of money and this is from someone who is obsessed with her fuel bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Grawns wrote: »
    I can't see the savings or convienience paying or compensating for the cost. Still seems a pointless gadget ( masquarading as a green efficiency) that can't turn the heat up or down, only on or off and has no thermostatic link in. Still seems a waste of money and this is from someone who is obsessed with her fuel bills.

You can set a temp on the climote to cut of the boiler, you can wire in your existing room stat also so that will cut it off if it has reached temp before the climote does.

New additional stats are being trialled for extra rooms around the house to feed back to the climote hub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

FFS! If you want to save money on your heating, put up with the inconvenience of a cold house for ten minutes when you get home. What are you, a cold-blooded reptile? :pac:

And there's plenty do while you wait 30 minutes for some hot water.

Climote is for Wimps!

And I'd object to paying an annual fee.

There are wifi-based alternatives now with no recurring charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

deandean wrote: »
    FFS! If you want to save money on your heating, put up with the inconvenience of a cold house for ten minutes when you get home. What are you, a cold-blooded reptile? :pac:

Climote is for Wimps!

sure jog home instead and you’ll be grand and warm for the rest of the night and no need for heating at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭ted1

kceire wrote: »
    its €249.

When in a family house or a house share it makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭ted1

deandean wrote: »

Climote is for Wimps!

Tado, nest, hive etc are much more advanced they tie in with forecasts and adjust accordingly.

E.g tell them
    You need to to be 18 deg at 9.they'll see its a cold morning and turn the heating on at 7 or its a warm day and turn it in at 8:45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

good article in the sunday times today. it compared four wifi / smartphone central beating control systems:
    Tado 'best for small houses'
    Neo 'best for ufh'
    Hive 'best for price'
    Evohome 'best for big houses'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

I use z-wave gear I bought from vesternet.com to do the same thing, with no recurring charge.

Advertisement