Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commission free currency for a limited time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ephelan24

Just checked the Sterling Rate on Sharewatch and is .8478 at the moment. Again, not sure what banks are charging but An Post only offering .8247 which is a large difference commision or no commision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

From An Post:
    GBP 0.8247
    USD 1.3275

From XE:
    1.00 EUR = 0.847376 GBP
    1.00 EUR = 1.35895 USD

So no commission but poor rates. I would get a better rate using my debit card in a foreign ATM and that's hardly the cheapest either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

But the rate that is paid for on the markets is a good bit higher than what it is in the banks. It's how the banks make money on FX as well as commission.

Was in Ulster Bank yesterday and they were selling sterling for 0.82 and then add commission. So this offer from An Post is in fact very good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭mailforkev

XE shows mid-market rates so not comparing like for like with An Post's sell rate, you'd need to compare it with the sell rate from other banks etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Compare it with XE Trade. These are NOT mid market rates. They are the rates they will trade with you at. There are no commissions and you can haggle with their call centre to get better rates. They have EFT options that avoid wire fees. Worth your while if you're transferring a few K.

Another company with an office in Ireland is Transfermate and you can again haggle for a better rate and to get wire fees knocked off.

Both of the above require a bank account in the destination currency and aren't for getting cash.

For small amount of cash I always find credit cards are best for rates and minimal transaction fees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭derek2222_ie

groom wrote: »
    For small amount of cash I always find credit cards are best for rates and minimal transaction fees

How does this work. Do you use your credit card in an atm machine abroad to get cash?

Or is it done some other way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

How does this work. Do you use your credit card in an atm machine abroad to get cash?

Or is it done some other way

Thats what I do too.
    Load money on the card and you'll only pay the exchange rate and not a withdrawl fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Load money on the card

Very important or you will end up paying interest from the day you withdraw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

From An Post:
    GBP 0.8247
    USD 1.3275

From NIB (+commision)
    GBP 0.8295
    USD 1.3345

Relatively good rate, but I can get the same rate as AnPost in my credit union commission free as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

okidoki987 wrote: »

But.....if your card is stolen and items are purchased with it you can lose the amount you had in credit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

I used it at the weekend and the rate was 0.843454. Less than the mid-market rate but still much better than the an post rate, with the added bonus that I could get it from any ATM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭derek2222_ie

okidoki987 wrote: »

so you would need to have your credit card clear and be in credit on it or you end up paying huge interst? That rules this out for me so.

How long is the post office offer for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

But.....if your card is stolen and items are purchased with it you can lose the amount you had in credit.

Yeah, but currency notes can be stolen just as easily. You can't live in fear!!

Advertisement