Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McCourt to join WBA

• 15-06-2008 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭

McCourt set for West Brom switch

Derry City winger Pat McCourt is set to complete a move to West Bromwich Albion after the clubs agreed a transfer fee.

The deal is subject to the player passing a medical which is likely to take place next week.

McCourt, 24, is understood to have agreed personal terms with the newly promoted Premier League club.

Derry have refused to disclose the fee involved but it is believed to be substantially better than the initial offer which the club said was derisory.

Kenny had partially blamed the long, drawn out negotiation with West Brom for City's poor form in the Eircom League.

It is thought that the Midlands club's initial offer for McCourt was in the region of £50,000.

The former Northern Ireland U21 international had also been linked with other clubs in England and Scotland.

Big move for the guy. Probably one of the most exciting players in the eL and hopefully he can get a bigt of game time in the Premiership this coming year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Good luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

yep best of luck to him, I defo think he has the talent to make it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Hope he does well. Would hate to see him fade into the wilderness. Would be great if he could secure a regular place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Good luck to Derry now, reckon they won't get near the league after selling him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

They have a guy called McGinn that came from Dungannon.

Looks very exciting.

McCourt was a special player though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

mccourt's an infuriating player to watch. for every 3 players he beats, theres four or five times you'd see him standing with his hands on his hips not arsed with what's going on.

he needs to pick up his work rate 100% if he's to succeed in the premiership. and while i wish the guy luck, i don't think he will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Big move for the guy. Probably one of the most exciting players in the eL and hopefully he can get a bigt of game time in the Premiership this coming year.

i thought Derry told WBA to f off with their 50g's, saying that price was an "insult to the league"??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

i thought Derry told WBA to f off with their 50g's, saying that price was an "insult to the league"??

Did you read the article?
    Derry have refused to disclose the fee involved but it is believed to be substantially better than the initial offer which the club said was derisory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Did you read the article?

ffs, how'd i miss that. thought it was an admirable comment from City all the same.

good to see pat getting a second chance at the big time anyway
    Wikipedia wrote:
    He attracted the attention of several English Premiership clubs during 2002-03, including Blackburn Rovers. A formal bid of £1.5m was made by Manchester City F.C., however, this was rejected by Rochdale A.F.C. and the deal fell through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Good luck to him.
    Does that mean he can play for Ireland (either one) now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Once he has used WBA world class training facilities for a week or so he will be ready for international football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭mormank

this guy already played in the english leagues but no where near the top division and he couldnt make it then. what makes west brom think he is good enough for the premiership?? crazy imo..i hope im wrong tho cos he is my favourite eL player...at least he should get a nice pay day out of it, take em for all they're worth paddy!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,268 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

SectionF wrote: »
    Good luck to him.
    Does that mean he can play for Ireland (either one) now?

He has a cap for Northern Ireland already so he can only play for them.

I hope he does well over there good luck to him.

He is a good player when he wants to be, but he is lazy and needs a good manager to get him to work better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Style of football West Brom play will definitely suit him as well. Hard to see him making a break through and becoming a first team player though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

mormank wrote: »
    this guy already played in the english leagues but no where near the top division and he couldnt make it then. what makes west brom think he is good enough for the premiership?? crazy imo..i hope im wrong tho cos he is my favourite eL player...at least he should get a nice pay day out of it, take em for all they're worth paddy!!!!

The theory is a player like him would get kicked around the English lower divisions but can be better deployed as an impact sub in the English Premier Division.

Look at these two goals in the same game when his career to date peaked at Rovers....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8b6SPt5ak

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dcyz0BlxXwM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Great player at EL level... Exciting to watch. I hope he makes it in the premier league. At most i think he will be an impact sub as someone else mentioned, but you never know...

Good luck to him..

Celtic have now stepped in to sign him

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/7462901.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

How will he get on at Sellik?

I must confess to not knowing much about him really, but from what ive read here people are saying his workrate would be an issue in England...will the glasgow goldfish bowl get to him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Eirebear wrote: »

If he can do well in the eL he can do well in the SPL. ;)

He is good when he has the ball but can be very lazy too same as his brother he was fast but only when he wanted to be.

I am sure if he does that at Celtic it will be knocked out of him, might be better to go there as Celtic would be able to afford throwing him on in games that they are leading to see how he is getting on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Players like him tend to be lazy like Le Tissier, Ginola etc. Now, i'm obviously not saying he's anywhere near their quality, just that when you have the skill they have, laziness comes into. They do something brilliant once or twice in a game, and can be quiet for the rest of it. Great to watch though.
    If he goes to West Brom, people may mistake him with Jonathan Greening. Both scruffy looking hobo's. They look like they should be lying on a park bench somewhere drinking Dutch Gold (or in McCourt's case, Harp) and shouting at kids.
    Hope McCourt does well over there though. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on.

DesF wrote: »
    If he can do well in the eL he can do well in the SPL. ;)

Were not that bad....yet.....

The gap is getting smaller in many ways though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I must confess to not knowing much about him really, but from what ive read here people are saying his workrate would be an issue in England...will the glasgow goldfish bowl get to him?

He will either be the new Lubo or will dismally fail. He has the talent, but it will be interesting to see if he keeps up his social habits and disdain for training at a club of Celtc's size.

Good move for Celtic. £100k for a phenominal talent. If he cant apply himself enough they will easily recoup the money selling him onto another SPL team or English minnows like WBA. Win Win.

Dont forget the shirt sales in Derry with McCourt on the back from the local Celtic shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Roy Keane is probably preparing a counter offer as we speak....

West Brom have now ended their interest in McCourt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I bet he ends up being class.

Its good to see players in the EL taking natural progressions....O'Donavon playing with Cork for a few seasons...Doyle with Cork. Hoolihan with Shels, and now McCourt.

Hopefully young players use them as an example and stay playing in Eircom League at the start of their career.

I wonder will JP Kelly and Fahey make moves in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

McCourt had been approached by Norwich too. We have a bid accepted and the player knows a lot about the area since we had him on trial when he was 19. Peter Grant then moved in last year with an offer but he was sacked before we could even sign McCourt. Now it's up to Glenn Roeder to persuade McCourt to join the club, and I believe he will have more opportunities of first team appearances since the departure of 13 players during the summer.

I bet he ends up being class.

Its good to see players in the EL taking natural progressions....O'Donavon playing with Cork for a few seasons...Doyle with Cork. Hoolihan with Shels, and now McCourt.

Hopefully young players use them as an example and stay playing in Eircom League at the start of their career.

I wonder will JP Kelly and Fahey make moves in the future.

Keith Fahey is absolute quality. I'd hate to see him leave Pats, but it's inevitable i fear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I dont think Joxer has what it takes, drifts in and out, bit lightweight and becoming a one trick pony - cutting inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

McCourt has signed a three year deal with Celtic

;)Never liked him anyway......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i can think of one pretty big thing wrong with this thread title

Yeah, i was actually thinking of starting a new thread of McCourt signs for Celtic, but i thought '**** it, it'll be gone by Monday.
    Anyway, that's it. Close thread!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Considering Noel Hunt was a player with potential 5 years ago when the EL was only beginning to blosson, one of our "STAR" players NOW ought to be a big hit in Scotland.

And I'm sure he will.

Paddy McCourt in full flight is why I love this stupid game!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Considering Noel Hunt was a player with potential 5 years ago when the EL was only beginning to blosson, one of our "STAR" players NOW ought to be a big hit in Scotland.

Sean Dillon is doing pretty good at Dundee Utd, he's started most games for them and scored a few goals aswell.

Best of the Irish contingent at Dundee Utd last season was Willo Flood IMO.

Im not sure if he was only on loan though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

bohsman wrote: »
    I dont think Joxer has what it takes, drifts in and out, bit lightweight and becoming a one trick pony - cutting inside.

Waaaaaaay too light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Sean Dillon is doing pretty good at Dundee Utd, he's started most games for them and scored a few goals aswell.

He's Ireland's second best centre half after Dunne, imo.

Dillon me softly with his song, Dillon me soflteeeeee, with his song, Dillon me Soft-lee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Best of the Irish contingent at Dundee Utd last season was Willo Flood IMO.

Im not sure if he was only on loan though?
    On loan from Cardiff I think, I remember seeing him get a man of the match against Norwich in the Prem

Advertisement