Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great Penalty Takers.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Fowler did not miss too many either as I recall and the always used to be right into the side netting too when he hit them. Well he did miss that one for Man City but aside form that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

The Zidane peno in the final of WC06 took some balls....Owen Hargreaves has scored two cracking penos in shootouts for engurland and united.....and the worst performance has to go to Irelands pathetic efforts against Spain in the shootout in korea

Yeah it was awful.

But man Robbie Keane...some nerve for a 21 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭The G Child

kryogen wrote: »
    in certain situations i can understand them, maybe i was a bit harsh earlier, its like changing your side in a way, as in when RVN went to the goalies right for about 15 penos in a row, then went left v spurs (?) for the first time

in the ZZ situation he had a way that he normally went, he knew Buffon would expect that yes, so he did the opposite, its very clever in those situations yes, but you have history and knowledge, that young man was 99% surely just guessing as to what the keeper would be expecting and the keeper was just guessing at what way he would be shooting as they cant have had that much prior knowledge (if any) about each other

different situations imo!

I agree totally with what your saying. I was just saying that when Zidane done it, it was a moment of magic from a football genius, In the biggest game of all against the worlds best keeper.

The Italian lad, while it worked out ok for him, could have gone pear shaped. I agree that it was probably a guess. In that situation I wouldn't be trying that!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Kevin Sheedy was handy enough, left foot hammered down the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Drogheda man Killian Brennans 93rd minute winner penalty for Bohs against Drogheda at 3:15, wouldve been lynched if hed missed, (his free kick at 40seconds isnt bad either)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Isn't Lauren a great peno taker? always remember him sticking a couple away for Arsenal when Henry wasn't playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Ballack has only ever missed 1 penalty in his career. For me he is the best around at the moment.

I remember him being interviewed after taking his first pen for Chelsea after Lampard had missed two in a row. He hammered it into the top corner and afterwards said this:

"I know how Frank feels, I once missed a penalty earlier in my career so I know what it feels like." Class...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

The Harry Kewell one in training isn't bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXx1cCb3AGo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

And totti backheel one wasnt bad
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLrxVPlZLMg&NR=1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

He probably got injured taken it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Dub13 wrote: »
    He probably got injured taken it.

you're right he did, twice, but as luck would have it he regianed full fitness at 7.44pm on the last Wednesday in May once in 2005 and also in 2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm surprised Robbie Keane hasn't been mentioned more. Sure last season was bad as he missed two, but before that I can only remember him missing one in his whole career, including internationals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

He's Irish so he couldn't be worthy.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

anyone who is german.

germans are born to take penaltys

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Fowler did not miss too many either as I recall and the always used to be right into the side netting too when he hit them. Well he did miss that one for Man City but aside form that :)

Fowler definitely. Against Tranmere in 2001, I remember him running up straight at the ball, so you wouldn't know which foot he'd use. :cool:

I think he missed one at Goodison though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Gerrard seems to be a good penalty taker.

Ballack and Lampard seems good aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

IrishMike wrote: »
    David O Leary
    1 from 1, 100% record.
    Cant really argue with that ;)

If memory serves me correctly that peno was important too :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

dc69 wrote: »
    Gerrard seems to be a good penalty taker.

Ballack and Lampard seems good aswell.

Disagree on Gerrard. He has missed a few for us. Everytime i see him taking one I'm nervous.
    Never the case with Fowler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

ibh wrote: »
    Disagree on Gerrard. He has missed a few for us. Everytime i see him taking one I'm nervous.
    Same as that.

Advertisement