Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France V Italy (This would be frackin hilarious)

• 17-06-2008 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭

Italy and France face the unprecedented prospect of a penalty shoot-out to determine who finishes third in Group C if the two sides crash out on Tuesday.

World champions Italy and France face each other in the final Group C match with both almost certainly needing a win if they are to make the last eight.

But if Romania beat Holland, ending the pair's progress hopes, a draw would not separate the teams in the standings.

Therefore, a shoot-out would be played even though both sides would be out.

It would be the first time in tournament history two teams who have been eliminated from a competition would have to play out a penalty shoot-out for the purposes of determing future co-efficient points.

The co-efficient can affect a team's seeding for future international tournaments.

However, it is just one potential scenario in a whole host of permutations from the final round of matches in Group C.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Come on Italy. I've given up on Grance winning it so if they get hockeyed they might finish last and get me some dosh.
    Posted via Mobile Device

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Come on Italy. I've given up on Grance winning it so if they get hockeyed they might finish last and get me some dosh.
    Posted via Mobile Device

LOL, look at the sweepstake thread. I need the draw in this game to keep my hopes of Poland taking the wooden spoon prize

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Should be a great game and I would love to see Italy do it as they appear to have more of an interest in the tournament than France.

Any thoughts on the possible shenanigans from Holland, i.e. lose to Romanina thereby knocking out France and Italy while still toping the group and in doing so remove two potentially tricky teams from the last eight???

More likely in the World cup I would have thought and also I reckon Holland are afraid of no one at this stage so there might not be anything to be gained by it (apart from Spain who would get Romania)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

A shoot out to decide which team finishes third? FFS, this is officialdom gone absolutely loo-laa crazy.

Who the fúck cares?

I'm sure the Italians and the Grench wouldn't want to be a part of this.

Everyone miss every penalty ftw, or the keepers to let them all in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I love penalties, bring it on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Hope Italy can do the business tonight.Think a lot of clowns (im looking at you dunphy) have written them off as no hopers on the strength of two games even though they are one of the best teams in the world still.FFS they are the world champions.Prob will be out of there hands mind you as i cant see Holland putting out a strong team against Romania.Hope grosso starts for Italy as IMO he is class and could make the difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

DesF wrote: »
    A shoot out to decide which team finishes third? FFS, this is officialdom gone absolutely loo-laa crazy.

Who the fúck cares?

I'm sure the Italians and the Grench wouldn't want to be a part of this.

Everyone miss every penalty ftw, or the keepers to let them all in.

You're a very angry young lad Des.

Need a hug?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Romania will beat the Dutch, imo. France and Italy are done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I can see Holland resting a lot of players and playing a complete B team.

Romania will be well up for this and will get the win.

Bye bye Italy and France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

It just goes to show you how much harder it is to qualify out of the EC group than it is to qualify out of the WC group. All the teams are competitive in the EC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

By 2016, that will be ruined if they bring in 24 teams as they said they were going to.

SantryRed wrote: »
    By 2016, that will be ruined if they bring in 24 teams as they said they were going to.

I agree, it will become an absolute farce- teams like the North, Wales and maybe even Cyprus might actually qualify. Only, when they get there they'll lose all 3 games.

I agree, it will become an absolute farce- teams like the North, Wales and maybe even Cyprus might actually qualify. Only, when they get there they'll lose all 3 games.

LOL no danger of us qualifying, even with 24 teams :p

boo-urns from C4

UEFA have stated that Italy and France will not be required to take penalties to decide third place this evening should they draw and Romania win.

It had been suggested that a penalty shoot-out could be required to ascertain which side finishes third in Group C should the game finish level.

However, that eventuality has been ruled out by European football’s governing body, who insist that penalty shoot-outs are only used to decide qualification in the event of a tie between second and third place.

“There is no way that France-Italy can result in a penalty shoot-out,” a spokesman told BBC Sport.

Holland are guaranteed top spot, but everything else is still to be decided by this evening’s games.

Should Romania beat Holland then they will clinch second place, but if the Dutch prevail then Italy will qualify with a win or even a draw.

In the event of a draw and a Romanian defeat, Romania, Italy and France would all be level on two points.

The head-to-head records would be completely even, but Italy will have a better goals scored column in these clashes if they manage to score against the French.

If thers no penalty shootout, then how do I fill in the table on my wallchart?..... alphabetical order I guess?:confused:

Advertisement