Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel lock cap for Focus Style

Options
  • 29-03-2008 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get a suitable fuel locking cap for a Focus Style?
    Mine doesn't have one, in fact the flap opens even when the car is locked!
    A friend of mine has a Focus as well ('08 like mine) and the flap doesn't open if the car is locked. He also has a fuel cap. His car is petrol, mine is diesel, don't know why that would matter.
    I am surprised as there is nothing to prevent someone opening the flap and vandalising or worse still setting fire to my fuel tank.
    The hole will only open if the correct nozzle size is inserted but someone could easily get a pipe to fit it I'd imagine and then it's Guy Fawkes time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have a Focus TDCi and the fuel flap locks when the car is locked. The inside fuel cap doesn't have a lock though.

If your fuel flap is opening even when the car is locked then it sounds like it is broken. Either get the flap fixed under the manufacturer's warranty (assuming the car is still covered under the Ford warranty) or you could pick up a locking fuel cap in a motor factors like Halfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

So does mine. If you open the flap and peer into the space where the hinge goes into when it closes there's a plastic pin that comes up from below that stops the flap opening. Flick the remote on the keyfob to open/close the doors and you should see it popping up and down. Maybe someone got a bit heavy with it and tried to open the flap without unlcoking the car and broke it off (it doesn't look too sturdy).

So this is a brand new car that also doesn't have a spare tyre (see your other thread)? Sounds like a vsist back to the dealer is required here!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I've seen quite a few Foci with the fuel flap broken off or missing, mostly rental cars though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭lukin

Alun wrote: »
    So does mine. If you open the flap and peer into the space where the hinge goes into when it closes there's a plastic pin that comes up from below that stops the flap opening. Flick the remote on the keyfob to open/close the doors and you should see it popping up and down. Maybe someone got a bit heavy with it and tried to open the flap without unlcoking the car and broke it off (it doesn't look too sturdy).

Yeah there is no locking pin in the flap, that's the problem. It wasn't broken by me so I'd say it was like that when I bought it.
    I'm not surprised it broke because as it's only made of plastic.
    Alun wrote: »
    So this is a brand new car that also doesn't have a spare tyre (see your other thread)? Sounds like a vsist back to the dealer is required here!

They don't come with a spare as someone else who works for my company got a Focus at the same time and there wasn't a spare with his either.
    As I said in the other thread there's no point in me buying one for it as the well in the boot for the wheel is not deep enough anyway.
    I'll have to use that tyre sealant kit if I get a flat. Don't really know how it works

Advertisement