Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Vaping' around Pregnant women

Options
  • 20-10-2014 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I think it's unreasonable for a pregnant woman to expect people not to smoke around them. When I was pregnant I wouldn't have had the cheek to expect anyone to change their behaviour around me just because I was pregnant. If someone did light up next to me I moved just like I would do now or would have done before I was pregnant. Why should anyone be expected to change their habits in a public place around you just because you are pregnant? Obviously if it were in your house you would have the right to dictate as to whether or not they could smoke but anywhere else it is your responsibility not theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

That's a funny one. My mum replaced cigarettes with these about a year ago, and I was delighted. I have to say I never noticed any smell or anything else off them. I thought it was supposed to be just water vapour released? Her cough went away and she looks a million times better (no teeth staining, finger staining etc).

That being said, she treats them like cigarettes still. So she goes outside into smoking areas to smoke them, only does it once or twice a day etc.

I wasn't able for smokers when I was pregnant. The smell of it set off my morning sickness something rotten. I nearly puked on someone's jacket once when they asked me to hand it to them, because it smelled of cigarettes.

I think trust your instincts in pregnancy a bit. I couldn't abide the smell or taste of booze until I was about 6 months in, cigarettes I couldn't handle at all. If the vapour smell was making you feel unwell, it's probably a sign to avoid alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I think you were making a mountain out of a molehill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

As an ex smoker I can't abide the smell of cigarette smoke, it turns my stomach, however my other half 'vapes' and there is no smell of smoke off them, there is a slight smell of whatever flavour oil is being used, and even the tobacco flavour doesn't really smell!

Think you went way over the top and yes made a mountain out of a molehill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I never noticed a smell off them either until I got pregnant and then a lady serving me in a shop blew the smoke out - I nearly puked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'll probably be lynched for saying this but I think sometimes pregnant women can be very precious. I don't know what the health implications are of being in the company of a smoker or e-cig user for a short amount of time, I would imagine its negligible. I'm, sure the unborn child won't be damaged by exposure to it for a matter of minutes. There are a lot of people around with various health conditions that shouldn't be exposed to smoke, pregnant women are well able to remove themselves if they find it so offensive.

I'm an ex smoker myself and like M'lady the smell of a cigarette really irritates me but that's my problem, its up to me to move away and respect the rights of the smoker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

I wouldn't expect people to refrain from smoking real cigarettes when around me whether pregnant or not - if it bothered me, I'd remove myself from the situation (discreetly and politely) - likewise, if I didn't like the smell of the vapour, I'd remove myself rather than expecting others to modify their behaviour. (Exception - I wouldn't be happy with anyone smoking real or vapour cigarettes in my house.)

In your case, couldn't you have gone to the bathroom, or gone out to "make a phonecall" - chances are she'd have been finished by the time you returned (especially if you had taken your time!) No need for any fuss or arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Each to their own however I wouldn't be impressed if someone lit up like that in a restaurant beside me, pregnant or not pregnant. To me they have a smell and I don't like it. Instead of making a fuss I would move or make an excuse leave for a few mins. Why should I .... IMO I shouldn't have to but to keep the peace I would. The fact that the person didn't even ask the people around him if anyone minded IMO is pure ignorant. Not everyone has the same sense of smell .... I hate the smell of smoke it turns my stomach. The vapour isn't quite as bad but I still don't like it.
    But as I said each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I imagine the stress you brought on yourself by raising this non issue would do more harm than vapping "smoke".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I don't know a single vaper who is ill informed with regards to the ingredients. The ingredient list for about 99% of e-liquid is:

Nicotine.
    Propylene glycol.
    Vegetable glycerin.
    Food flavourings.

Furthermore, the vapour exhaled contains about the same nicotine content as a spoonful of mashed potatoes.

I don't vape around pregnant women, and wouldn't have smoked around them either, but if you're in a public place, you can't expect people to accede to your wishes. You have the option of moving away.

Also, the smell from e-cigs is very slight, from the food flavourings, and doesn't hang in the air like smoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Baby4 wrote: »

I don't understand the relevance of this, because most people are are able to handle being around people vaping without any problems. It's always possible that you could have an allergy to one of the (very few) chemicals in the vapour, but more than likely it's a case of you being hypersensitive to the smell due to your pregnancy, much like pwurple and alcohol during her pregnancy:
    pwurple wrote: »
    I think trust your instincts in pregnancy a bit. I couldn't abide the smell or taste of booze until I was about 6 months in, cigarettes I couldn't handle at all.

Has your Aunt vaped around you before Baby4? I personally wouldn't vape inside with people, especially when seated right beside someone, without having first cleared it with them that it was fine to do.

If it's a case that your husbands aunt has vaped around you before without problem, and that the issue is only now arising because of the pregnancy, then I can see why she would be taken aback, but it's very silly for her to be offended by it. She should have just gotten over it. If it was her house then she can do as she likes, and I'd tell you to get over it, but to do it in a restaraunt and the complain when asked not to is just very uncooperative on her part.

(Exception - I wouldn't be happy with anyone smoking real or vapour cigarettes in my house.)

I agree with that - your house, your rules. If you don't want smokers/vapers/red wine drinkers/crisp eaters in your house, that's fine, either let them stand in your garden, or warn them beforehand.

When it's not your house, you don't get to control people's behaviour, pregnant or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

A quick sniff of exhaled e-cig vapour won't damage you or your baby.

Total 100% overreaction on your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I do agree with the op here. She wasn't in someone's house: she was in a restaurant. The WHO wants them banned indoors. It's an unregulated industry at the moment too. If someone had vaped beside me on either of my pregnancies I would likely probably have puked on them: i was hypersensitive to smells.

I would honestly think good manners would stop anybody vaping at a table in a restaurant? Pregnant or not I would say it quite frankly. If I was in someone else's house I wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

cyning wrote: »
    I do agree with the op here. She wasn't in someone's house: she was in a restaurant. The WHO wants them banned indoors. It's an unregulated industry at the moment too. If someone had vaped beside me on either of my pregnancies I would likely probably have puked on them: i was hypersensitive to smells.

I would honestly think good manners would stop anybody vaping at a table in a restaurant? Pregnant or not I would say it quite frankly. If I was in someone else's house I wouldn't.

I would have probably puked at the smell too - I had terrible morning all-day sickness all through pregnancy, and any sort of smell would set it off!

But I wouldn't have expected people to change their normal behaviour because of this. If my boyfriend brought out the bins in my vicinity, I'd be sprinting for the loo - but the bins still needed to be changed. I learned to be elsewhere when he did it. If my colleague opened a tin of salmon in the staff kitchen, that would set me off too - I was hardly going to expect him not to eat salmon for the duration of my pregnancy - but, I never let him know that the salmon was what was setting it off; why make him feel uncomfortable? I simply started having lunch at a different time to him. Anyone opening a packet of crisps on the bus would have me heaving - so I'd get off the bus - they're entitled to eat crisps on the bus if they want to!

Same with vaping. It's legal and generally socially acceptable to do it in restaurants. The aunt was doing nothing wrong. It was up to the OP to remove herself from the situation, if it was bothering her.

You see I don't find or think it is socially acceptable. I know a few people who vape. I know none who would at a table in a restaurant and I have never, even once, seen it. I have seen people standing at the door vaping frequently.

You see I don't find or think it is socially acceptable. I know a few people who vape. I know none who would at a table in a restaurant and I have never, even once, seen it. I have seen people standing at the door vaping frequently.

On the other hand, I've seen people in restaurants vaping quite often. I've also seen people vaping out in the smoking areas.

People do things I don't find socially acceptable all the time, but I don't get to control their behaviour.

I guess for me if my family or friends did something they knew was making me feel sick or uncomfortable, I would be quite upset by that: and again that's pregnant or not. I wouldn't walk up to a stranger at another table and tell them they can't do that they were making me feel sick. I would say it to a member of my family: as the ops husband did.

A pregnant friend is coming over Sat night for pizza: she asked we don't get garlic sauce as a dip (which she knows I always get!!) because it turns her stomach. I don't find that rude or entitled. She's a friend and would do the same for me.

I just can't understand why family or friends wouldn't do the same.

I guess for me if my family or friends did something they knew was making me feel sick or uncomfortable, I would be quite upset by that: and again that's pregnant or not. I wouldn't walk up to a stranger at another table and tell them they can't do that they were making me feel sick. I would say it to a member of my family: as the ops husband did.

A pregnant friend is coming over Sat night for pizza: she asked we don't get garlic sauce as a dip (which she knows I always get!!) because it turns her stomach. I don't find that rude or entitled. She's a friend and would do the same for me.

I just can't understand why family or friends wouldn't do the same.

I suppose it depends on how you approach things - your friend asked about the garlic dip in advance, and presumably in a "would you mind" kind of way. If she turned up on Saturday night and demanded that the garlic dip be binned, and anyone who'd had it should go brush their teeth, that would be a different scenario.

Bear in mind the conversation seems to have started with the husband declaring a general fatwa that the aunt shouldn't have the e-cig around a pregnant woman. If it had been approached along the lines of "pregnant woman is crazily sensitive to smells at the moment, would you mind swapping seats/standing on your head/doing the cha cha" the conversation may have gone very differently. Even better : "hey pregnant woman, are smells still bothering you? Here, swap seats with me"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Yes, the simple: 'could we swap seats because vaping seems to irritate my throat or it makes me sick?', would probably work. Or asking politely whomever to stop because it makes you feel unwell, usually works. If it doesn't then the person vaping is very ignorant. But if you go on a big tirade about vaping around pregnant women without first asking politely then frankly it's nothing but attention seeking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

In fairness to the auntie she wasn't smoking, she was vaping. Big difference. When I smoked I would always take it outside, I've never vaped but I probably wouldn't be as quick to remove myself from company, not because I don't care about the people around me but because I've always thought vaping just released vapor, that if they are potentially harmful at all its to the user not the people around them.

Probably the way it was handled didn't help either. If you have an issue with someone's behaviour in company maybe take them aside and be discreet about it - telling them at a dinner table in front of everyone probably embarrassed the woman, she might not have thought there was any harm in what she was doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

This isn't a Parenting discussion - it's a Vaping one. So I'm moving it to the Vaping forum. Please check the charter of that forum before posting after this post. Bear in mind that I mod there too so feel free to PM me if this is a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

In my experience people who don't vape are completely uninformed about what exactly is in them. as green-screen said it's nicotine, glycerin and food flavourings. That's why it's classed as a food product not a tobacco product.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

While I don't think it should be socially unacceptable to vape in a restaurant I generally wouldn't do it simply because I would fully expect someone to have a problem with it. It's amusing that the OP talked about vapers not knowing what is in them when I normally find the people who complain about them are the ones that haven't a clue whats in them. What looks like smoke is coming out of them, therefore bad.

In pubs/restaurants I might sneak an invisible puff (since it's water vapour essentially keeping it in for a few seconds means it's invisible on exhale) every now and again. Psychologically I think people are less likely to have a problem if they see me using it but don't see anything being exhaled so to make life easier and so on why not. I have seen vapers in pubs completely lording huge plumes of vapour all over the place and wonder how they can be so brazen about it. Inviting trouble if you ask me.

The Joe Duffy audience either has or will proclaim e-cigs evil one way or another sadly. No knowledge/research required.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Soooo... Pregnancy eh? Sounds fun.

There's nothing being exhaled in the quantities needed to be harmful to you or your baby. You might be sensitive to a particular ingredient or as cyning hinted at above, to the scent of it - but there was definitely no need for the "shouldn't have that thing around a pregnant woman" horsesh!t based on his or your misconception of what's exhaled (presumably thanks to PR-shill propaganda being reprinted by lazy journalists, e.g. "The WHO wants them banned indoors. It's an unregulated industry at the moment too." :rolleyes: That says it all.).

You didn't like the look or smell of something, and/or one of the ingredients tickled your throat.
    No big deal in real terms, very big deal in fantasy "My whims are too easily indulged and every chemical will kill me and my child!!!" terms.

grindle wrote: »
    Soooo... Pregnancy eh? Sounds fun.

There's nothing being exhaled in the quantities needed to be harmful to you or your baby. You might be sensitive to a particular ingredient or as cyning hinted at above, to the scent of it - but there was definitely no need for the "shouldn't have that thing around a pregnant woman" horsesh!t based on his or your misconception of what's exhaled (presumably thanks to PR-shill propaganda being reprinted by lazy journalists, e.g. "The WHO wants them banned indoors. It's an unregulated industry at the moment too." :rolleyes: That says it all.).

You didn't like the look or smell of something, and/or one of the ingredients tickled your throat.
    No big deal in real terms, very big deal in fantasy "My whims are too easily indulged and every chemical will kill me and my child!!!" terms.

Well no. I've read the WHO report after listening to a piece on the radio. I don't pretend to be an expert on e cigs or vaping. Is it regulated? I thought it wasn't so I'm sorry if I was wrong. I actually do think they have a place. They are infinitely better than cigarettes.

I just don't think if I'm sitting down to a meal in a restaurant that I should have someone beside me using one. As I've said I wouldn't ask someone at a different table not to use one. But my family? I would. Especially if I was pregnant. Although honestly when I was pregnant I doubt any of my family would have been that inconsiderate considering how sick I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Well no. I've read the WHO report after listening to a piece on the radio. I don't pretend to be an expert on e cigs or vaping. Is it regulated?

It is self regulated atm by the majority of Irish vendors but government regulation will have to come in , that would be a bigger worry depending on who is bending their ear .

As for The WHO , that was the biggest surprise for me , you would do well to look into how they are making their decisions and who is lobbying them .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Well no. I've read the WHO report after listening to a piece on the radio. I don't pretend to be an expert on e cigs or vaping. Is it regulated? I thought it wasn't so I'm sorry if I was wrong. I actually do think they have a place. They are infinitely better than cigarettes.

The W.H.O. have trumpeted so much crap over the last few years they're the boy who cried wolf in my eyes. They're knowingly committed to and publicising views on behalf of the pharmaceutical industry which can only help in harming health & I think in decades to come more and more people will look back on this as a seriously dark period for them.

E-liquids are currently meant to be regulated by the FSAI but they couldn't be bothered or don't want to take ownership of the mess (understandable but unethical) - they should be regulated by a new body, one with no ties to any of the pharmaceutical or tobacco lobbying factions, based on data as opposed to money or faux moral panic. As it is, as jonski said the ecig industry is currently haphazardly attempting to regulate itself to keep at bay the risk of being mutilated by industries with competing interests.
    Especially if I was pregnant.
    Whatever about the rudeness of people vaping in restaurants because of the scent or aesthetic of vaping, this bit is just irrational.
    Pregnancy doesn't actually grant women some strange hormonal mix of dictatorial superpowers, although the condition does get wielded that way quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

My opinion is that you're one of these people who actively goes looking for things to be put out by.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

My opinion is that you're one of these people who actively goes looking for things to be put out by.

Try posting an opinion on the post not the poster. That goes for everyone else too please. Warnings/Infractions on hold assuming people behave.

Advertisement