Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downgrading UPC

Options
  • 30-07-2013 11:24am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does this enter you into a new contract? I'm well past the 12 months but don't want to be stuck in another 12 months if I downgrade.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

You will be. You're getting a new product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Nothing wrong with being stuck on 12-month contract with the best broadband company in Ireland. There are no cheaper alternatives, so you might as well sign a new contract with them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Nothing wrong with being stuck on 12-month contract with the best broadband company in Ireland. There are no cheaper alternatives, so you might as well sign a new contract with them.

Of course there is as it restricts your flexibility. What happens if a person loses their job, has to move, financial circumstances change etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

dub45 wrote: »
    Of course there is as it restricts your flexibility. What happens if a person loses their job, has to move, financial circumstances change etc etc.

Get real, man, you say that as if UPC are the only company that lock people down with contracts, they all do it.

Who do you want him to subscribe to, Magnet, with their shítty customer service and their annoying 4GB download caps during the day? If you want decent broadband, with no download caps, you're stuck with a 12-month contract.

If you lose your job or have succumbed to financial difficulties, tough shít - you signed the contract and have pay them, or you could cut off your direct debit payments in your bank.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I will have to move half way through so that is pointless, it's cheaper to stay as I am.

Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Get real, man, you say that as if UPC are the only company that lock people down with contracts, they all do it.

Who do you want him to subscribe to, Magnet, with their shítty customer service and their annoying 4GB download caps during the day? If you want decent broadband, with no download caps, you're stuck with a 12-month contract.

If you lose your job or have succumbed to financial difficulties, tough shít - you signed the contract and have pay them, or you could cut off your direct debit payments in your bank.

If you bother to read my post I make no reference to UPC being the only ones to attempt to tie people into lengthy contracts.

After the initial contract where a fixed period is necessary to recoup initial set up costs etc etc there is no justification for tying people into further lengthy contracts other than to restrict their choices. Lengthy contracts are anti competitive and thats why companies use them.

Up to relatively recently most isps did not require a further lengthy contract to change product - if you wanted to upgrade most companies did it for nothing and if you wanted to downgrade there was a once off charge.

We should be resisting these unnecessary contracts not condoning them. And the argument that they all do it is pathetic as is your attitude to people who find themselves in unfortunate circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

"Our services represent excellent value, however you do have the right to cancel or downgrade your service within 30 days of receipt of this notice without penalty if you choose not to accept these changes."

We downgraded. Does this mean we entered into a new contract?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Afraid so.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭collier

"Our services represent excellent value, however you do have the right to cancel or downgrade your service within 30 days of receipt of this notice without penalty if you choose not to accept these changes."

We downgraded. Does this mean we entered into a new contract?

Not exactly if you did so within the 30day grace period your existing contract remains the active one. Doing so outside of these 30days would incur a new contract.

collier wrote: »
    Not exactly if you did so within the 30day grace period your existing contract remains the active one. Doing so outside of these 30days would incur a new contract.

I asked them and they said it would be a new contract, I wanted to downgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

collier wrote: »

Without penalty in that case means with no €10 downgrade fee. It'd still be a new contract though.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭collier

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Without penalty in that case means with no €10 downgrade fee. It'd still be a new contract though.
    Ouch I believe the extended contract could also be seen as a penalty.

yes it is, if I see an alternative with sky or whoever I'll take it. UPC treat current customers pretty badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

yes it is, if I see an alternative with sky or whoever I'll take it. UPC treat current customers pretty badly.

How so?

Not allowed change your package without a fee and being locked into a 12 month contract. Not giving any incentive to current customers to stay, all deals are for new customers.
    Even at full price, if I jsut signed up again my package would be cheaper, they rely on inertia of moving services rather than customer care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Not allowed change your package without a fee and being locked into a 12 month contract. Not giving any incentive to current customers to stay, all deals are for new customers.
    Even at full price, if I jsut signed up again my package would be cheaper, they rely on inertia of moving services rather than customer care.

I suppose the only thing you can say is that all operators are like that. A bloody merry-go-round. I left 02 because of it. Then they offered me €240 credit to come back. When it was too late.

Advertisement