Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFiber Router settings?

Options
  • 24-06-2013 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of taking the free efiber speed upgrade but I have a question? Since the upgrade requires a new router I'm assuming it requires new router settings. Right now I have the Eircom router running in bridge mode with my Asus Dark Knight doing all the actual work.

Is setting up a third party router with eFiber still as simple as "PPPoE, eircom@eircom.net, broadband1?"

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Password is the same as your wpa key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Thanks!

Just to be clear, that's the password you need to access the efibre router that eircom supply.

I don't think broadband1 password and/or how you would need to input that into your own router, still applies. I don't see it in the efibre router settings anyways.

If that makes any sense :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭allen175

I don't know why you would need the pppoe settings for the router since the modem already has the settings, but the efibre uses IPoE, username and password are unknown. but you will be able to bridge the efibre modem to the asus router and use the router to supply wireless and other things, but leave the modem to do its modem things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

allen175 wrote: »
    I don't know why you would need the pppoe settings for the router since the modem already has the settings, but the efibre uses IPoE, username and password are unknown. but you will be able to bridge the efibre modem to the asus router and use the router to supply wireless and other things, but leave the modem to do its modem things.

Well then I suppose the next question is, how do you put the new the router into bridge mode?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭allen175

Well then I suppose the next question is, how do you put the new the router into bridge mode?

Log into the config page, go to network settings > broadband > modify and the option to bridge and routing will be at the top of the page, easily done.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

you wont need to use bridge mode
    You can use your own modem. I have replaced both the Eircom & Vodafone modem so far.

Customer support for both wikll give you all the settings, but they neglect to tell you to set the WAN VLAN ID to 10. This is essential.

Use the eircom@eircom.net & broadband1 as usual but you must set the wan vlan id also.

Now you wont have to use bridge mode any longer. I used the DrayTek Vigor 2850 VDSL Modem which has excellent customer support i might add.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tcase

Hi Platinums,

I'm trying to setup a Draytek 2860 on Vodafone fibre VDSL. Would there be any chance of you posting the settings used, it would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

platinums wrote: »
    you wont need to use bridge mode
    You can use your own modem. I have replaced both the Eircom & Vodafone modem so far.

Customer support for both wikll give you all the settings, but they neglect to tell you to set the WAN VLAN ID to 10. This is essential.

Use the eircom@eircom.net & broadband1 as usual but you must set the wan vlan id also.

Now you wont have to use bridge mode any longer. I used the DrayTek Vigor 2850 VDSL Modem which has excellent customer support i might add.

That Draytek is £230 sterling on Amazon! Is it that much better than free?

allen175 wrote: »
    Question for you @allen175 - do you have eVision as part of your package or maybe a fixed IP address?
    It's curiosity on my part as I have Vodafone fibre and it uses PPPoE and I would have thought that the eircom eFibre package would be the same. But if you were enabled for eVision, then maybe IPoE would be the encapsulation method.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

Hi,

I'm thinking of taking the free efiber speed upgrade but I have a question? Since the upgrade requires a new router I'm assuming it requires new router settings. Right now I have the Eircom router running in bridge mode with my Asus Dark Knight doing all the actual work.

Is setting up a third party router with eFiber still as simple as "PPPoE, eircom@eircom.net, broadband1?"

Thanks.

make sure you set mtu to 1484 on both the modem and your asus wan settings and you'll be good

fat-tony wrote: »
    That Draytek is £230 sterling on Amazon! Is it that much better than free?

No - without a doubt free is always better, but you cant create the VPN connections the client wants with *free*.

tcase wrote: »
    Hi Platinums,

I'm trying to setup a Draytek 2860 on Vodafone fibre VDSL. Would there be any chance of you posting the settings used, it would be much appreciated.

The changes i made regarding VLAN ID:

s3HdN80.png

ELIlIpp.png

gq9NQ5u.png

@platinums - I understand the expenditure if you have very specific requirements which can't be met by the ISP supplied product, but I would have thought the majority of home users wouldn't need VPN.
    Is the Draytek compliant with the vectoring which will be rolled out by eircom/Vodafone, possibly later this year.

fat-tony wrote: »
    @platinums - I understand the expenditure if you have very specific requirements which can't be met by the ISP supplied product, but I would have thought the majority of home users wouldn't need VPN.
    Is the Draytek compliant with the vectoring which will be rolled out by eircom/Vodafone, possibly later this year.

I dont think it supports vectoring, something i wold have opted for had I been doing the purchasing.

Home users could get by with one of the many software vpn solutions that are on offer. Business would just be slightly more demanding of security.

platinums wrote: »
    I dont think it supports vectoring, something i wold have opted for had I been doing the purchasing.

Home users could get by with one of the many software vpn solutions that are on offer. Business would just be slightly more demanding of security.
    If it doesn't support vectoring, how is it going to continue to work when (if) eircom/Vodafone introduce the feature on the DSLAMs in the cabinets? My understanding of vectoring technology is that the modem and DSLAM need to cooperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if someone can help me with setting up my own netgear wndr3800 to do all my routing. I have the standard eircom e vision router and I thought it would be as simple as disabling shop and feeding it into my netgear.

Has anyone any info on what settings to change?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭swoofer

Log into the config page, go to network settings > broadband > modify and the option to bridge and routing will be at the top of the page, easily done.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭martin gillespie

I will be getting efibre , I have a Asus DSL N55U at present can I bridge this to the efibre modem , is anyone here running ps3/4 on the efibre modem I will be running 3x ps3 1x ps4 , 2x sky hd in wifi , etc
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

if you have evision you must use ipoe

evision will not work with pppoe

if you have evision you must use ipoe

evision will not work with pppoe
    NO EVISION

• Advertisement

I am new to this bridging stuff , I am getting efibre on tue , I would idealy like the new router in the sitting room , @the moment I am running 20ft ethernet cables to the room .
    Can I bridge my AsusN55U in the hallway for wifi otherwise the rest of the house will be dead.Any ideas on the bridging process efibre to the Asus n55 .Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I've not had any luck with bridging on the F1000 eircom modem. After reboot it seems to forget bridging has been set, the Firewall unit behind the F1000 would lose connectivity.. We've had this happen in multiple installs for customers. The solution was to Double NAT the Firewall behind the router, by placing it in the DMZ of the F1000.

Nate

I've not had any luck with bridging on the F1000 eircom modem. After reboot it seems to forget bridging has been set, the Firewall unit behind the F1000 would lose connectivity.. We've had this happen in multiple installs for customers. The solution was to Double NAT the Firewall behind the router, by placing it in the DMZ of the F1000.

Nate
    will this affect the nat for ps3/4 at the moment I have open nat and hope to keep it that way.ill give eircom the 10 day customer satisfaction time if it dont work out it goes

Did you manage to bridge your asus router to efibre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

will this affect the nat for ps3/4 at the moment I have open nat and hope to keep it that way.ill give eircom the 10 day customer satisfaction time if it dont work out it goes

I honestly couldn't say, I'm not sure what open NAT is.

Nate

I honestly couldn't say, I'm not sure what open NAT is.

Nate
    Also known as nat 1 the best for gaming, ps what settings should I change to make the router run better.
    any ideas on wireless bridgeing

Advertisement