Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom ZyXEL F1000 - router config & speeds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

PatDee wrote: »
    Hi damojag, I've figured it out, here is the fix: when you get to the WAN Interface field it can be one of tree settings, ETHWAN, VDSL or pppo3G. Most likely settings will be either ETHWAN or VDSL depending on your package. See which one doesn't give the error message, Then just populate the rest of the fields with the desired ports. WAN IP field is optional & can be left blank. Best of Luck.

enjoying port forward for security cams....

Trying to set up port forwarding for my Xbox 360. Does anyone know what IP address should be entered for the Server IP Address?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

mrqpr wrote: »
    I posted on a previous thread, to no avail, about trying to get the file sharing/media access option working. If I'm reading your post correctly, it seems that you have at least been able to see the drive/share appear on the file sharing tab? When you say that the media access works, does that refer to using the device as a DIY NAS for media streaming using DLNA? That was my intended purpose for the router. When I enable the file sharing option I cannot see anything that indicates that the software on the router can talk to any of the hard drives/memory keys I have tested out. I'm not sure if you had seen the manual that Eircom have created for the device, but I didn't have any joy with using it as there was very little troubleshooting information on it.

Did you check to see that you were using the correct file system on the attached hard drive? I think they mentioned FAT and FAT32, if memory serves..

Cheers!

Having the same issue. My media player is connected via USB to the F1000 and is showing up on my network but with an IP address of 192.168.1.254. If anyone has this working then please share.

I found it \\192.168.1.254\usbkey\usb1_1 - for some reason the address is different to what is set up by default when you enable the file sharing settings

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mrqpr

manster wrote: »
    Having the same issue. My media player is connected via USB to the F1000 and is showing up on my network but with an IP address of 192.168.1.254. If anyone has this working then please share.

I found it \\192.168.1.254\usbkey\usb1_1 - for some reason the address is different to what is set up by default when you enable the file sharing settings

Hi Manster,
    Just seeing your reply now. Just wondering if you could help clarify the steps please?

When you log into the router admin tool and click to enable file sharing does your hard drive show up as share within the admin tool? I couldn't get any of the drives I tried to work, no errors are reported but nothing happens. Are you using usb 3.0 drive perhaps? I used the correct file system on my drive but that didn't get it working either. Good work there in getting it working..

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

anyone else getting static IPs? i keep trying to renew in the zyxel interface but DHCP keeps giving me the same IP. which i don't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

anyone else getting static IPs? i keep trying to renew in the zyxel interface but DHCP keeps giving me the same IP. which i don't want.
    Is there a lease time option on the router?

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

jmcc wrote: »

Regards...jmcc

All the info for the F1000 (aka ZyXEL VGM8324-10A) is available here -
    http://www.zyxel.com/uk/en/products_services/vmg8324_b10a.shtml?t=p&tabOrder=1

Manual is here - ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/VMG8324-B10A/user_guide/VMG8324-B10A_.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

jmcc wrote: »

Regards...jmcc

yeah, i set it to 1 minute. but i'm pretty sure that's for the IPs the router hands out my devices. i think i'm stuck with whatever IP the eircom DHCP servers send back. anyway, no harm, not really that important. just like to login to certain accounts from different IPs. I just used a VPN instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

yeah, i set it to 1 minute. but i'm pretty sure that's for the IPs the router hands out my devices. i think i'm stuck with whatever IP the eircom DHCP servers send back. anyway, no harm, not really that important. just like to login to certain accounts from different IPs. I just used a VPN instead.
    Ah. :) I thought that you meant an IP from the router's DHCP pool. Most of the ISPs set their own lease time from what i've seen and it can vary. UPC has a three day lease around here. The alternative is to get a set of static IPs from Eircom and do it that way. The router DHCP lease time might only affect the local/private pool of IPs on your side of the link so it might have been an unnecessary change.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Anyone have any stability issues with their F1000?

We have ours installed a little over a month. In that time, we have had to reboot it three times as connectivity drops. It's definitely the box and not the connection. It seems like the box has crashed, or at least some of it's services.

While internet connectivity goes down, DHCP fails to work too. A quick reboot gets us right back up. This is obviously not a good condition when you have the likes of VPN etc running over the line.

RangeR wrote: »

Just off the phone from business support. It, as well as others, are known issues.

One of the other known issues is the box gets into a "state" that for "safety reasons" it turns off and on again [reboot ish].

I also asked about the bridge boot loop bug. It is being actively worked on but no ETA.

Looks like there are some serious issues that should have been ironed out before launch. Bridge Boot Loop is unforgivable in a business enviorn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just off the phone from business support. It, as well as others, are known issues.

One of the other known issues is the box gets into a "state" that for "safety reasons" it turns off and on again [reboot ish].

I also asked about the bridge boot loop bug. It is being actively worked on but no ETA.

Looks like there are some serious issues that should have been ironed out before launch. Bridge Boot Loop is unforgivable in a business enviorn.

They tested with the Thompson but launched with the Zyxel so it was never properly tested, thus all the bugs cropping up now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

We have ours installed a little over a month. In that time, we have had to reboot it three times as connectivity drops. It's definitely the box and not the connection. It seems like the box has crashed, or at least some of it's services.

While internet connectivity goes down, DHCP fails to work too. A quick reboot gets us right back up. This is obviously not a good condition when you have the likes of VPN etc running over the line.

this happens to us every 3 weeks or so, i have to turn it off and back on again, and it works perfectly,

is there any alternative on the market we can buy to replace it?

hoodwinked wrote: »
    this happens to us every 3 weeks or so, i have to turn it off and back on again, and it works perfectly,

is there any alternative on the market we can buy to replace it?

They are working on a fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

That is happening to me as well maybe once or twice a week. Very annoying. When it happens the network goes down as well so you can't login to the router therefore you have to power cycle it to get it back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Langer

no NAT Loopback support either. very annoying. Does anyone know if bridging the unit would solve this ? had a Netgear DGN3300 , worked perfectly for it.

You can't bridge it yet. Doing so will cause a boot loop.

nuts. Eircom really didnt think this one through at all. is there a firmware update anywhere for this piece of ****** 'Gateway'

Have you read this thread?
    Or one post before your first?

They are working on fixing the issues. There is no fix yet other than using a different, unsupported, router. If you use an unsupported router, there is no guarantee it will work as expected until eircom bed in their vectoring.

blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭redron74

manster wrote: »

I don't see the drive, either as a media drive of network drive, in Networks, but I can map a network drive in Computer using the network address you give above. Thanks. I'm using Windows Vista Business 32-bit, btw.
    (When I connected it for the first time (this morning) it showed up as a media drive in Networks, but tonight it doesn't show up there.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

redron74 wrote: »
    I don't see the drive, either as a media drive of network drive, in Networks, but I can map a network drive in Computer using the network address you give above. Thanks. I'm using Windows Vista Business 32-bit, btw.
    (When I connected it for the first time (this morning) it showed up as a media drive in Networks, but tonight it doesn't show up there.)

I can only get it to show up as a mapped network drive on my PC also so when I power on it connects. Have yet to connect to it via iPad though - very frustrating.

Can anyone with the new firmware confirm if it fixes the intermittent lock-ups on the router?

I'm not aware of any new firmware being released.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

nuttlys wrote: »
    Just got the new Eircom F1000 router at home today as part of eFibre rollout and to my surprise nothing was left about the router or how to config.

Anyway, previous comments are right, there appears to be no manual from Eircom (yet). It seems to me that the ZyXEL F1000 is a custom job on the P-2812HNU-Fx Series http://www.zyxel.com/products_services/p_2812hnu_fx_series.shtml?t=p and the user guide for that router is ROUGHLY the same (Word of warning, after a quick look there are a number of additional tabs available on the F1000 config, many of them are advanced VDSL settings so don't go messing with anything unless you know what you are doing).

Couple of notes:

My router ip was 192.168.1.254
    Username: admin
    Password: same as Wireless Key on back of router

It automatically prompted me to change the password which was handy.

The router is saying it has a 70 Mbps down, 20 Mbps up DSL connection but so far my best result has been 47.4 Mbps down, and 17.38 Mbps :D

2758893542.png
    2758754623.png

Would be interested to see others actual speeds with eFibre are.

If you Google ZyXEL eircom F1000 modem or such, one of the things to come up is a .pdf of the user manual - all 359 pages of it.
    It seems to be mostly geared towards technical reference for the professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

I'm not aware of any new firmware being released.

the latest firmware version is 1.00(aaha.3)do_0820_2

it fixes a qos issue for iptv

previous firmware versions are

1.00(aaha.3)do

fixes some issues related to iptv

1.00(aaha.2)do_0430

not sure what it fixed

1.00(aaha.1).1 original firmware

another firmware version is currently being tested

it should fix the session timeout bug where a modem times out after 9 to 10 days causing red internet light

release date unknown as of yet

ED E wrote: »
    Enterprise customers on fibre could request the thompson if they wanted and probably get it but most would probably chose their own third party VDSL modems.

the thompson modem is crap

it needs to be reset at least once a week... avoid it.. its why eircom stopped using it.

port forwarding works fine on the f1000. disable upnp before creating rules

Freddy,

Is there anywhere I can track the progress of the new firmware that is being tested [fixing session timeouts or what not]

Rolling into my second month of not being able to use the eFiber connection. :(

the thompson modem is crap

it needs to be reset at least once a week... avoid it.. its why eircom stopped using it.

How is that different to the F1000? Hopefully the new firmware rectifies this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 robrex

Ok I played around the F1000 with Current Firmware Version: 1.00(AAHA.3)D0_0820_2
    And I found some crazy Queues setup under QoS, as far as I remember previously I only had the default one ( prior to the firmware update).
    Under class setup, there were some classifiers (A classifier groups traffic into data flows according to specific criteria. Class Setup can add, edit, or delete QoS classifiers.) All that setup had "Age of Empires" in title, I have never added anything like that on to the Router !!!!!!!
    After removing all that crap I can finally connect to my NAS via Wi-Fi also don't have any indication that internet is down when I check it with Network Diagnosis on the Mac. BTW, everything worked as it should via Ethernet.
    Please guys, verify if you also have some crazy QoS setup. Because if that's the case we have serious issue with Eircom and personal setup left over within firmware.

• Advertisement

robrex wrote: »
    Ok I played around the F1000 with Current Firmware Version: 1.00(AAHA.3)D0_0820_2
    And I found some crazy Queues setup under QoS, as far as I remember previously I only had the default one ( prior to the firmware update).
    Under class setup, there were some classifiers (A classifier groups traffic into data flows according to specific criteria. Class Setup can add, edit, or delete QoS classifiers.) All that setup had "Age of Empires" in title, I have never added anything like that on to the Router !!!!!!!
    After removing all that crap I can finally connect to my NAS via Wi-Fi also don't have any indication that internet is down when I check it with Network Diagnosis on the Mac. BTW, everything worked as it should via Ethernet.
    Please guys, verify if you also have some crazy QoS setup. Because if that's the case we have serious issue with Eircom and personal setup left over within firmware.

the qos settings are there for the iptv service being trialed by 300+ customers at the moment. they are there to improve the signal being relayed to the set top boxes

Advertisement