Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working Class and Lack of Success

• 10-12-2011 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

why do working class people leave school early? why do working class women have children at a younger age than the middle classes and mostly outside of wedlock? Why do working class women get pregnant if they can't afford to support the child? Why do you see a lot a burnt down houses in working class areas, along with higher rates of anti-social behaviour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

This will go well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

These will have to be generalised answers to generalised questions.
    why do working class people leave school early?
    Often it is the case that they do not see prospects in staying in school. Many in in the "working class" do not see third level education as an option and are not encouraged to go for it for a number of reasons. It could be that their parents never went and dont see the point of it. It could be that their brothers/sisters never went either. It is often that there is a cost associated with going. i.e. there are many reasons why they often dont go to third level education thus dont always see the point in the leaving certificate nor do they have the encouragement and support (inc financial) that the "middle class"+ receive.
    why do working class women have children at a younger age than the middle classes and mostly outside of wedlock?
    I believe a lot of that is due to lack of education/prospects and also because that is what they see around them often from within their own family/parents. Your upbringing has a massive affect on what you perceive as normal.

I would also say there is nothing wrong with having children out of wedlock - you should have the same rights out of wedlock that you do being married and being married or not has no affect on the quality of your childs upbringing or the happiness of the child's parents.

Fertility peaks between 20-25 normally thus you could ask why the "middle class"+ have children later which is normally as a result of careers etc.
    Why do working class women get pregnant if they can't afford to support the child?
    Many women of in all "classes" get pregnant by accident. It could be as high as 50% of pregancies in adults and upto 80/90% of pregnancies in teens being unplanned.
    Why do you see a lot a burnt down houses in working class areas, along with higher rates of anti-social behaviour?
    This is often due to lack of prospects in those areas for young teens. Many are brought up in broken home where they watch abuse and drugs-use daily or where they are on the receiving end of abuse. You would have a good chance of becoming an angry person if you saw your mother being beaten up every day or if you were beaten up every day. You would also have more chance of being angry when you see others that dont have to go through what you have to not to mention the bad influence in those areas with drugs and "easy money" etc.

There is no simply answer to any of the above but this should give you possible answers to your questions but everybody's reasons for their circumstances are different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

How does OP define success, given thread title?

Interested to hear.

I know miserable wealthy people who live in 'nice areas' with 2.4 kids in university and a beemer in the drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

why do working class people leave school early? why do working class women have children at a younger age than the middle classes and mostly outside of wedlock? Why do working class women get pregnant if they can't afford to support the child? Why do you see a lot a burnt down houses in working class areas, along with higher rates of anti-social behaviour?

I haven't heard generalisations like this in years. Not that I've ever thought about it too much, but I would probably fall into what you call 'working class'.
    I have a degree. I am not a single mother, and have never burnt down a house.
    I know plenty of 'upper class' people for whom your biased and generalised statements are true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Go troll somewhere else.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement