Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grown-ups who still refer to their parents as "mammy" and "daddy"

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Giselle wrote: »
    My family is very close and I respect my parents more than any other people in the world.

I just don't need to call them special names based on one role in their lives. I call them by their names because thats how we are in our family. It has nothing to do with whats 'right' or 'wrong'.

Giselle, while I respect your views, this is a subject we will have to agree to disagree on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

People mostly say it in a joking way,I do everyso often,

"Whos collecting you" "Me mammy :D"

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭XDivaX

What is wrong with these terms mammy and daddy??
    It is actually the Irish version compared to the British version of mum/dad or American version of mom etc.

I call them mum and daddy though because she is British :P and refer to her as mammy towards younger siblings because that is what they call her.

It is extremely unfair to judge people by how close they are.
    So what if groom's mother kissed him on lip at wedding- it is an emotional day and so on.

I still give them big tight hugs and I'm 21 even when my boyfriend or friends are around. And I say good night and love you so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

XDivaX wrote: »
    What is wrong with these terms mammy and daddy??
    It is actually the Irish version compared to the British version of mum/dad or American version of mom etc.

I call them mum and daddy though because she is British :P and refer to her as mammy towards younger siblings because that is what they call her.

It is extremely unfair to judge people by how close they are.
    So what if groom's mother kissed him on lip at wedding- it is an emotional day and so on.

I still give them big tight hugs and I'm 21 even when my boyfriend or friends are around. And I say good night and love you so.

ive always called my mum mummy and dad daddy.... i never knew it was british... but ma and da definately sound irish.. oh god.:rolleyes: i suppose it would look weird if you heard an irish person saying mummy.. it would just sound so funny!

owenc wrote: »
    ive always called my mum mummy and dad daddy.... i never knew it was british... but ma and da definately sound irish.. oh god.:rolleyes: i suppose it would look weird if you heard an irish person saying mummy.. it would just sound so funny!

So you don't think it is weird that you still call your parents mummy or daddy?
    That is what they are saying:(

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭argonaut

There are few things creepier than this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

XDivaX wrote: »
    So you don't think it is weird that you still call your parents mummy or daddy?
    That is what they are saying:(

no because everyone i know calls their mum mummy or dad daddy.. we have a different accent.. theres this wee boy in my class from sligo and he just says ma.. lol

argonaut wrote: »
    There are few things creepier than this.

Yeah like that man who declares love for 8 years old girl for example.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I call my parents bye there first name they dont call me son why should i call them mum and dad ?

• Advertisement

Calling adults grown-ups now are we?

:p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

i use mam and Da or dad. I think Ma sounds knackerish but Da doesn't for some reason.

actually there is a mate of mine (18 years old) who, when talking about his parents will call them Ma and Da, as in "its ok my Ma is making dinner" but then is they call him on the phone or he is talking to em face to face he reverts to Mummy and Daddy "hello mummy how are you". Q slaggings all round.

I think Mum and Mummy just sound plain wrong

Calling adults grown-ups now are we?

:p

I think it make sence you can be all grown up and tall and have hair in funny places but that doesnt nesscerilly mean your an adult or is it the other way around?

I think it make sence you can be all grown up and tall and have hair in funny places but that doesnt nesscerilly mean your an adult or is it the other way around?

no. I mean yes. I mean, wha?

I want my mammy :(

no. I mean yes. I mean, wha?

I want my mammy :(

You do want a sudder to ? get some adult nappies and your sorted...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

When we were younger myself and my sister noticed that we never heard Dad (or his brother) refer to their Mum (Granny) directly. Grandad was always 'the aul fella' but Granny never, ever got any direct reference until the day she died, when Dad rang to tell me he just said 'the aul lady died' (is it wrong that my first reaction was to ring my sister and tell her that Granny now had a title!!).

My own Mum and Dad are just that, or occasionally stupid nick names that have survived since we were cheeky young flippers (ie Mum is known as Dotty because she once wore spotty knickers under beige slacks - Visible Patterned Knicks!!:rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Surely someone else must have picked up on the use of grown-ups in thread title?

Has to be a pisstake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

I always say Mam.

Never heard any Irish person I know saying 'Mum' but have seen it a lot on boards, always thought of it as english. Another one which makes me wince is 'Mom' or 'Mommy' -sounds cat, so faux American!

Advertisement