Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its no wonder we are in the gutter

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dazco

I don't know the ins or outs of how he came out... if it was media pushing him out, he still would of had to make a statement about it and accept it out in public. you also have to take into account, the media were quick to blame what's taken as being the "stereotypical" view of hards drugs and unsafe sex that's meant to be rife in the gay commuinity as a cause leading to his death.

Saying yer gay with the possiblity of a backlash like that... is almost as if yer admiting to being guilty regardless of the circumstances you get ousted...

In all fairness though I think Wilde makes a far better gay icon than Gately, he went through a lot more than a few articles getting printed about him, no disrespect. Also Wilde is incredibly more talented. Yet Gately just made the list, once again no disrespect to him, 'cause he died last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,316 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Apples and oranges, putting historical figures, musicians and writers in the same category will never work. They can't be compared, there aren't even any criteria set down as to what makes someone 'great'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

kowloon wrote: »
    Apples and oranges...

I wondered where you were going with that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

kowloon wrote: »
    Apples and oranges, putting historical figures, musicians and writers in the same category will never work. They can't be compared, there aren't even any criteria set down as to what makes someone 'great'.

I suppose it's probably just that people who voted for it were uneducated and didn't know who a lot of the historical people on the list were.

I don't see dummies knowing who Oscar Wilde or Yeats are either.

Sad really.

Advertisement