Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kevin Myers: "arsehole agus "gobshíte" extraordinaire

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

lugha wrote: »
    I am always amazed at the number of people who spout their guff about how much they are repulsed by all things Myers
    Except he didn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Dudess wrote: »
    Except he didn't?
    You don't think "arsehole agus gob****e" doesn't convey the message that the Rebel is less than impressed with the musings of Kevin? :)

Sorry, thought you meant stovelid as you quoted him. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Sorry, thought you meant stovelid as you quoted him. :)
    Get back in your box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

I am always amazed at the number of people who spout their guff about how much they are repulsed by all things Myers, and yet seem to be practically a walking encyclopedia of everything he ever writes or says. :pac:
    The term "sneaking regarders" comes to mind, if the curiser hadn't already used it for something else. ;)

Well, if someone is going to 'spout guff' about someone they are 'repulsed' by, the least they could do is have their homework done; they don't want to be like Myers, after all.
    I occassionally, when the subject arises, will proclaim my dislike for Myers; but i'm far from a walking encyclopedia on him.
    If you live in Ireland and are remotely interested in current affairs then you will come across the 'work' of Myers now and again; unless you are studiously avoiding it.
    His modus operandi is so well established at this stage, you wouldn't even have to keep abreast of him to know his take on any given subject.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

I am always amazed at the number of people who spout their guff about how much they are repulsed by all things Myers, and yet seem to be practically a walking encyclopedia of everything he ever writes or says. :pac:
    The term "sneaking regarders" comes to mind, if the curiser hadn't already used it for something else. ;)

Lugha, this should be basic. The only reason I can say without equivocation that Myers (or anybody else) is a gobshíte is if I've read/listened to his musings. The same sort of informed thinking underlies the views of most thinking people. It would be a bit silly to hold somebody in contempt if you don't know what it is he or she stands for etc. Know your enemy, and all that.

Next time, please do some remedial thinking before in effect glorifying ignorance as the basis of opinion forming.

ascanbe wrote: »
    Well, if someone is going to 'spout guff' about someone they are 'repulsed' by, the least they could do is have their homework done; they don't want to be like Myers, after all.
    They could just ignore him, that's pretty much what I do with someone whose opinions I don't respect. It's not as if he matters, he doesn't have any power and I would think negligible or no influence.

No, Kevin is a clever boy. He has mastered the trick of managing to rile people left, right and center (though mostly left :P) but does it in such a way that his victims cannot help themselves and keep talking the bait. Eamon Dunphy managed to do the same thing in the past.

They could just ignore him, that's pretty much what I do with someone whose opinions I don't respect. It's not as if he matters, he doesn't have any power and I would think negligible or no influence.

No, Kevin is a clever boy. He has mastered the trick of managing to rile people left, right and center (though mostly left :P) but does it in such a way that his victims cannot help themselves and keep talking the bait. Eamon Dunphy managed to do the same thing in the past.

Why ignore him when we now live in a pluralist society and we can appreciate him for what he really is, not what we want him to be....

Pissing people off is his aim though, so threads like this: mission accomplished.

He also hasn't added to the net worth of Irish literature, political discourse or, well, anything else. At least people like Fintan O'Toole, while often annoying, have made contributions to this society - e.g. his Beef Tribunal and public policy researches. Myers has added nothing. And that's the one significant context for all his ramblings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I like Kevin Myers. So nah, nah, nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Rebelheart wrote: »
    He also hasn't added to the net worth of Irish literature, political discourse or, well, anything else.

Rebel,

Which one is it in the archive, What date in march. It's not in the march 18th segment.

pirelli

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Its Myers being Myers.

Can we get back to Jordans boobies? :D

Pissing people off is his aim though, so threads like this: mission accomplished.
    Exactly. This is his talent. The obvious course of action to take if you think someone is perpetually talking scutter is to ignore them. I don't know how he does it, but he manages to hold his detractors captive.
    I'm sure many of them would have similar disdain for the considered musings of say the Healy-Rae dynasty (a much more potent and important force) but they largely ignore that they say. But Jackie and the boys don't have the KM factor. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

jiltloop wrote: »
    he can be quite astute

...if by "stute" you mean "cúnt".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Biggins wrote: »
    Its Myers being Myers.

Can we get back to Jordans boobies? :D

What have Kevin Myers & Jordans boobies got in common?

They are both self inflated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

See - everything is related! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Both torturous to Reid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

I wrote that 'if' someone is going to continually write about him, they may as well be well-informed.
    I agree, though, that people like him thrive off attention and if someone hates what he stands for they'd be better off ignoring him.

Ah, but everyone want to talk about Kevin's big one and not Katie's two big ones, despite the best efforts of Biggins :pac:.
    Again I say, this is the man's talent :cool:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If he was on AH, he'd be perma banned, but he'd get loads of thanks.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

controversy for the sake of controversy..

pirelli wrote: »
    Rebel,

Which one is it in the archive, What date in march. It's not in the march 18th segment.

pirelli

No, it's March 19th. Don't click on the 'The Right Hook' page, just click under his name. Then go to part 2 at the time mentioned above. It's a badly designed website for listening back.

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I don't like Kevin Myers, but i agree with pretty much everything he said in that interview.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    I don't like Kevin Myers, but i agree with pretty much everything he said in that interview.

Well, as they say, 'even a stopped clock is correct twice a day'.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Myers is irelands newspaper troll.

Quite good at it too, altho his writing and opinions are full of ****e and made up to get a reaction.

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Well, as they say, 'even a stopped clock is correct twice a day'.

Careful Rebel, I think KM is starting to turn you :pac:.

I don't think anybody can seriously doubt that KM is both highly intelligent and pretty well educated on a wide variety of subjects. Nevertheless, if you read the criticisms directed at him (which are often more entertaining that his writings) one accusation frequently made is that he is simply factually wrong in something he wrote, not that his opinions are objectionable, but that he is wrong. It is hard not to suspect that he is doing this deliberately, otherwise he would surely resolve to try no to repeat his errors.

Anyway, why get to riled about someone with whom you disagree? Despite the frequent citations of Voltaire, few people if any would go so far to defend free speech, but it isn't unhealthy to hear a differing view point. Free country and all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Yet again controversy for the sake of controversy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Kevin Myers is the biggest gobshíte in the irish papers - and thats saying something when you think of the sh!te in the tabloids . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Bodhisopha wrote: »

It wasn't that bad and it was an unusual topic. At least we know if we see Kevin Myers we can scare the crap out of him and he will run away, that's provided he hasn't engaged a busy armed squad to protect him exclusively for the ****e he writes.

That said he sounds smart enough and except for his tirade at the end it went ok. I think he sounds a bit like the chap from withnail and I and not like his photo.

Advertisement