Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Controversial Opinion

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭KahBoom

Why are you skipping over the point, that the current economic/monetary system, requires the absurdity of endless growth to be true, in order to avoid collapse?

That makes this completely incomparable to population control - who says that the population must increase forever? Nobody. Our current economic/monetary system does require that growth occurs forever, unless a steady-state system is adopted.

Can you address this please, and show me where you start to disagree:
    KahBoom wrote: »
    At what point do you have a disagreement here:
    1: Current economic system requires GDP growth to avoid collapse?
    2: Economic growth requires at least some increase in energy use (even if you make power generation ultra-efficient)?
    3: Increased power generation leaks (by the second law of thermodynamics) some amount of heat into the atmosphere?
    4: Eventually, if this would be allowed to continue forever, this heat would run up against Earth's environmental constraints?

Remember: I'm not saying it's possible for the above to happen, I'm saying it's absurd that this is what the current economic/monetary system requires, in order to keep on functioning - and that it's collapse is inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I wish I could say I have a clue of what either of ye are talking about. :o

Um, love the sig sponsored, and um, I may have to move yer discussion to a separate thread. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Thanks man, no need - no point to, and no time for, this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The build-up of heat on the planet due to human activity is actually a result of entropy, or the second law of thermodynamics. But this "global warming gone mad" they were talking about is not going to happen, nor is it going to be a brake on future economic activity, because the planet is not a closed system. Massive amounts of energy are input from the sun every day, and massive amounts are radiated back out into space.

I agree with the basic point that the monetary system is based on the notion of neverending economic growth. Which is why we have inflation as a thing, and why the USA has a national debt so large that it can never be repaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The planet is not a closed system but the threshold required for humanity can in many senses be approximated as one. Simply put if the planet deviates just that little bit too much humanity's way of life is in trouble. Not referring to global warming or anything here just pointing out the frailty of the conditions for our existence on this planet. No environmentalism is really about saving the planet, that's always going to be here it's more about saving the planet so it's still favourable to humans.

• Advertisement
Advertisement