Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

March on the Government - Poll

• 06-04-2010 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

I'm sick of seeing all the anti-government rants in AH but nothing happening so I've created a poll and set a date.

This isn't about jobs, economy, banks, NAMA, the church, fiscal waste, the public sector, Anglo, political parties, unions or any one interest group. Its about all of them, combined and the people in one voice telling those in power that we want competent leadership....so GET OUT!

If you are want to change anything in this country the march will take place on Friday the 30th of April at 12pm starting from O'Connell street and finishing up at Leinster House.

Please vote.

*I am aware of any actual/percieved ironies in creating a thread about this in response to all the threads that annoy me on this topic. If you agree answer the poll don't comment about it.

** Any Public sector rants/rabble tuk er jerbs comments can be spared by voting.

*** Suggestions for different times to maximise impact welcome. :)

Available for a protest to kick out the government? 36 votes

Yes, I want change and am willing to do/support it.
    0%
    No, washing my hair that day/don't support this/busy emigrating.
    100%
    Spearsuper_furryloyatemuprojectmayhemHail 2 Da ChimpbikoTriangleJuliusCaesarneilk32WazdakkaTabnabsOverhealAldebaranBucklesmanDionysusSVktulu123SEPT 23 1989Mr Trade Incock robin 36 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

What poll???

Protest FAIL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

Set up that mother-ucking poll brother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

What poll???

Protest FAIL.

Give him a chance to get the poll up at least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

You're from Galway, and when i opened the thread there was a Supermacs ad running down the bottom.. therefore, i can only assume you work for Supermacs and this is indeed a marketing ploy of their behalf.

Well its worked, i'd love a Supermacs now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

What poll???

Protest FAIL.
    bazmaiden wrote: »
    Set up that mother-ucking poll brother

Patience is a virtue :P

• Advertisement

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Give him a chance to get the poll up at least!
    I've created a poll

Bloody witchcraft and their invisible voting devices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

I can't march and voice my well educated and structured arguments on what I believe the government is doing wrong while running the country I'm afraid.
    Well not when you suggest we do it anyway.

I have a job.

Wazdakka wrote: »
    I can't march and voice my well educated and structured arguments on what I believe the government is doing wrong while running the country I'm afraid.

I have a job.

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/f/2/8/f28814974d3e13516658bd48817dd0b9.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

In fairness now a few dozen people marching with placards aint gonna do much.

Wazdakka wrote: »

I have a job.

I have a job too. Lets form a club of people who have jobs. It will be fun.

To all those in the "kodute and Wazdakka job club", if you can't attend in person (no sick/holidays left?? really??) then at least support it in principle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I work on a friday - not gonna take a day off to protest (cant afford to loose the money) ...lol

why not set up a facebook page...bebo page etc .... get your campaign running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

If you turn up protesting at the Dail, then so will the unions, and they'll try to hi-jack your protest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Sure didn't the Dyslexia Association of Ireland organise a protest outside the Dail awhile back?

Heard they all ended up outside Aldi :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

You're from Galway
    Galway seems to be a hot bed of revolutionary activity these days. Between the cement truck outside Anglo, our own group, this protest, and several others most people wouldn't know of, the city is restless...
    If you turn up protesting at the Dail, then so will the unions, and they'll try to hi-jack your protest.
    Or the lunatics in the SWP...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

.. and that annoying sham from Dun Laoghaire will surely hijack it.
    You know your man from No Profit for People or Shelly to Sea or '10 weeks redundancy for Travel Agents' or Save me Pier or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭thisguy

I voted no, its pointless protesting when removing this government now is just going to lead to another bunch of useless politicans with no answers gaining power. Better off letting fianna fail get on with trying to sort their mess out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

In fairness now a few dozen people marching with placards aint gonna do much.

And sitting on your hole doing some armchair commentating is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

What do you hope to achieve by this protest?

How do you plan to get rid of a government by marching down the street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

lets face it, the government might fall if a few backbenchers desert them but otherwise a few placards and shouts of what do we want and when do we want it on kildare st isn't going to knock the government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,262 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

lets face it, the government might fall if a few backbenchers desert them but otherwise a few placards and shouts of what do we want and when do we want it on kildare st isn't going to knock the government.

So what you're saying is a full scale riot is needed?

Cool stuff.

/Grabs his crowbar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I work on a friday - not gonna take a day off to protest (cant afford to loose the money) ...lol

why not set up a facebook page...bebo page etc .... get your campaign running.

Which is why most protest marches take place on a Saturday...
    here - A bit more than a 'few people with placards'.

Trouble is the govt doesn't listen - or they'd have to call an election and risk getting thrown out :eek: - not FFs way at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

In fairness it's an excellent idea and i for one would attend any planned march but you are looking in the wrong place on boards for support.

o1s1n wrote: »
    So what you're saying is a full scale riot is needed?

Cool stuff.

/Grabs his crowbar.

How exactly did you come up with full scale riot when it wasnt mentioned in the previous post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

kodute wrote: »
    March on the Government

But, but, it's April.

Mister men wrote: »
    In fairness it's an excellent idea and i for one would attend any planned march but you are looking in the wrong place on boards for support.

What do you hope to achieve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

yeah . . .but i'm not interested the alternative government invloves a certain Mr. E.Kenny who I am not a fan of . . . .

But you can borrow my spare crowbar if you want . . .

JuniorB wrote: »
    .. and that annoying sham from Dun Laoghaire will surely hijack it.
    You know your man from No Profit for People or Shelly to Sea or '10 weeks redundancy for Travel Agents' or Save me Pier or something...

Richard Boyd Bollix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

yeah . . .but i'm not interested the alternative government invloves a certain Mr. E.Kenny who I am not a fan of . . . .

But you can borrow my spare crowbar if you want . . .

Well then stop being so two dimensional, it's the two party attitude this country has that means we only have two options, FF or FG. If you don't like Enda Kenny vote for Labour! Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,262 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

orourkeda wrote: »
    How exactly did you come up with full scale riot when it wasnt mentioned in the previous post

I just like a good riot is all :(

/puts his crowbar back into storage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

thisguy wrote: »
    I voted no, its pointless protesting when removing this government now is just going to lead to another bunch of useless politicans with no answers gaining power. Better off letting fianna fail get on with trying to sort their mess out.

thisguy has a point (ironically I was going to say this guy before spotting his username is this guy).

Instead of having a protest, why don't you set up a new political party with competent members and an actual plausible plan ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    ...Or the lunatics in the SWP...
    ...or local branches of Sinn Fein, which I have personally seen happen a few times at Crumlin Hospital protests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

orourkeda wrote: »
    What do you hope to achieve?

Change of government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Oh god no.

Disturbing amount of pessimism from the same people who will give out about banks getting €x billion but not take a day off (or even suggest another day) to enact a change. The reason I picked a weekday is there might be someone in the Dail that day...

Not pointing fingers at anyone in particular but how do the 'No' side propose to oust the government? Sit and wait for Enda and Richard to come riding in on tír na nóg in 2012 and save us all mismanagement?

I'm not content to wait, but having said that if there isn't ~100k willing people then its not a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm in if the march isn't farther than Galway city hall from Eyre Square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Mister men wrote: »
    Change of government.

To what end?

biko wrote: »
    I'm in if the march isn't farther than Galway city hall from Eyre Square.

I'll join you in that if we can turf out Catherine Connolly! :D
    To what end?

Is that a "I'm happy with the current performance of the government and will continue to vote for my local FF TD because he gets the roads done." ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Protests are futile.

Instead of protesting and moaning all the time, why dont you start up a small business, occupy the empty shop fronts, employ a few people? Be part of the solution.

Personally I prefer how things are now, more atmospheric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Seriously, every few days we have the same thread... why?

Revolutions, rebellions, marches, other similar shít.

Think about it, you're not really in a bad situation if you can sit in front of a PC and post what you post on boards... Really.

Glenster wrote: »
    Protests are futile.

Instead of protesting and moaning all the time, why dont you start up a small business, occupy the empty shop fronts, employ a few people? Be part of the solution.

Personally I prefer how things are now, more atmospheric.

I'd love to start up a headshop but it would only get blown up.
    Seriously, every few days we have the same thread... why?

Revolutions, rebellions, marches, other similar shít.

Think about it, you're not really in a bad situation if you can sit in front of a PC and post what you post on boards... Really.

Busy exploring the bright side of unemployment are we? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

... Really.

Was that,

A) an unnessessary addendum a la "they mostly come at night.........mostly" 'Really'

or

B) a camp, crossed arms offended old lady "well I never" 'Really!'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Gawd these recent revolution threads make me laugh.

Firstly do you even know what Nama is?Justto clarify cuse allot of people complain wihtout knowing.

If our government was hugley corrupt like Greece and the IMF had to come in,and it was,hell I dunno IGNORING BASIC HUMAN RIGHTS then ya I could see cause for a revolution..other than that you really should be happy with wha you havemyou live in a pretty safe country with a far more stable government than most countrys((And most countrys arent in Europe just to remind ye.((Although I can see why it dosent seem like that now but hey atleast there trying to do somthing))

btw dont say I'm with FF or anything cause Im only 18 and my father aint a TD he a farmer who has been ****ed over with grant money but atleast I can realise why thee things are happening..this is the closest a recession has been to the the one in the 1920's...you know a little thing called the "Great Depression".FF mightent be the greatest government in the worl but it certainly is the lesser of two evils...do you honestly want to vote for Edna kenny who tries to get low level celebraties in his party for votes and make promises such as expanding the school year so parents wont have to look after there kids as much and whos main argument in the election for the Dail was how Bertie didnt have a bankaccount 20 years ago :rolleyes:.

There seems to be certain people who are fanatics in hating FF,My former English teacher((Of this year)) who was recently fired as of her horrid treatment towards students once worked ina speech into her teachings of how she hates FF,Going as far to say how they were responsible for everything bad that happened to the country,I would have almost thought that she would have even gone to say that they used time machines to sink the lusitania and cause the famine :D.They are the party thats been in power more often than most so of course they will be there for the worst but they've also done allot of good.

Also just too add I think people should blame Bertie more than Cowen,Bertie jumped ship knowing that this ws going to happen not long beofre the reccession hit.Cowen was stuck with this and atleast he's trying to fix it((Not saying he's doing a perfect job but botht he IMF and Europe have stated that Ireland has indeed taken the steps to right it's self,mostly with Nama and such,if we didnt then the IMF would be in hear creating huge cut backs,raising the unemployment level and cutting gov services and in greeces case they are also selling greek islands!.))

So just to say count yerself more lucky than most and think it properly through before trying to start a laughable rebellion...this isint 1916...we dont have a great oppresor or people being beaten and killed on the streets with a national culture being supressed...Its a bit of money that will right its self...maybe not today....maybe not tomorrow or next week but it wont last forever or that many years so stop worrying,look at how much Ireland has bettered it's self since the early 90's...things may seem like i t but its nothing but an echo not a mirroring.

Now for the rant backs :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Why don't we just walk to the Dail after AH beers on the 17th. Nothing like a little drunk and disorderly abuse thrown at an empty building!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I think action is needed, but I'm in college on Fridays so wont be able to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Pah! Marching on governments is for losers. Take the train instead!

Advertisement