Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

question on solar

• 23-07-2014 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭

I am slating soon and will be installing in-roof panels.

Obviously the panels will not be connected to anything as first fix plumbing is not done and probably will not be done till next year. Are the panels ok sitting on the roof but not not connected to anything for an extended period of time or is there any precaution that needs to be taken?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

who is providing the guarantee for the panels? would you not be best to ask them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭893bet

BryanF wrote: »
    who is providing the guarantee for the panels? would you not be best to ask them?

I will be but seek other opinion first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

893bet wrote: »
    Are the panels ok sitting on the roof but not not connected to anything for an extended period of time or is there any precaution that needs to be taken?

they will be fine assuming they are not removed by the wind or for a number of other reasons and crash to the ground...........secure them, why would you not?

kkelliher wrote: »
    they will be fine assuming they are not removed by the wind or for a number of other reasons and crash to the ground...........secure them, why would you not?

They will be fully fixed. I am more wondering will the high heat on them without being connected to the hotwater system cause damage over the next 10 months.

Anyone with an opinion?

• Advertisement

Anyone with an opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

If they are flat panels cover them , if they are evacuated tubes , leave the tubes out
    l

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭baby fish

I have flat panels and they were covered while on the roof until they were fully working, I asked the plumber to do it, he already had the covers, they were made by the panel manufacturer , they have elastic around the edges and simply fit over the panels, like a bed sheet over a bed. it is supposed to stop the panels from being damaged by overheating -because the glycol isn't being pumped around it can get too hot and damage the panel - its called stagnation if I remember correctly. I think there is no need for them to be covered if the glycol isn't in the system yet (as its the glycol over heating that damages the panel) . even though there was no glycol in mine I just asked him to cover them to be sure they were safe, so as far as I know If the glycol isn't in it yet you are ok, it would be best to check with manufacture to be sure though. Good luck!

baby fish wrote: »
    I have flat panels and they were covered while on the roof until they were fully working, I asked the plumber to do it, he already had the covers, they were made by the panel manufacturer , they have elastic around the edges and simply fit over the panels, like a bed sheet over a bed. it is supposed to stop the panels from being damaged by overheating -because the glycol isn't being pumped around it can get too hot and damage the panel - its called stagnation if I remember correctly. I think there is no need for them to be covered if the glycol isn't in the system yet (as its the glycol over heating that damages the panel) . even though there was no glycol in mine I just asked him to cover them to be sure they were safe, so as far as I know If the glycol isn't in it yet you are ok, it would be best to check with manufacture to be sure though. Good luck!

That is a superb answer. Thank you very much for taking the time!

That is a superb answer. Thank you very much for taking the time!

No problem, that's my understanding of panels overheating and the reason for covering them, but please check with manufacturer, I'm not an expert !

• Advertisement

baby fish wrote: »
    No problem, that's my understanding of panels overheating and the reason for covering them, but please check with manufacturer, I'm not an expert !

I intend too. Just like to be armed with asmuch info as possible. The fact that your manufact had an actual product designed for the protection sounds great. What brand did you use?

I think this was the cover but Im not 100% sure though as it nearly 4 years ago
    http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog/Grant_Reflective_Solar_Collector_Cover.html
    . The plumber had the covers, I didn't buy them and they weren't supplied as part of the panels I bought. But they were definitely made for the job of covering the panels

I first bought in roof panels but sent them back and bought on roof panels. I did this because I said to myself if a panel ever needs to be changed it might be easier to change the on roof panels. I cant remember who manufactured the second panels I bought. The first were grant, and as far as I can remember the covers were made by grant too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If the panels aren't plumbed in and the flow and return pipes are open (or covered with gauze ) will they heat up much more than the slates around it ?
    That said put the mounting rails and brackets up but leave the panels off and put them back in their boxes ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    If the panels aren't plumbed in and the flow and return pipes are open (or covered with gauze ) will they heat up much more than the slates around it ?
    That said put the mounting rails and brackets up but leave the panels off and put them back in their boxes ?

I don't know. The fact that I am going in roof is the issue. Lots to think about before I approach the solar supplier.

Markcheese wrote: »

Id say there is very little diff between the temp inside a fully connected solar panel and one not connected. there could only be a small amount of heat loss through the unconnected pipes. It might actually be hotter inside the panel since there is no glycol flowing through to take away any captured heat . On a very sunny day natural slates will get so hot it can be hard to hold/touch them for more than a few seconds.

I don't know. The fact that I am going in roof is the issue. Lots to think about before I approach the solar supplier.

Im not sure how well the covers will stay on in roof panels for 10 months, they kind of grip a little around and under all 4 corners of the on roof panels making them very secure. Sure the in roof panels look nicer, but I reckon my panels wont last forever or maybe solar technology will get better, I might need/want to change/replace them in a number of years time, maybe panels will be smaller and neater then. I think it will be easier to make changes with on roof panels in the future

Have you tried looking up some user manuals from diff manufacturers online? it might mention something about if/when they need to be covered.

Advertisement