Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DIY motorhome

Options
  • 27-05-2012 7:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭

Any ideas on DIY motorhomes v's 'proper' motorhomes.
    Don't want/need much space, basics for a couple - bed/shower/TV/cook/washup/awning/generator(solar panel)/heat (insulation/ventilation).
    Hi-roof Transit / Sprinter ? (too much weight/drag on 'proper MH ?):confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Capri wrote: »
    Don't want/need much space, basics for a couple - bed/shower/TV/cook/washup/awning/generator(solar panel)/heat (insulation/ventilation).

Hi Capri,

What do you want from the camper ?

I've spent months looking at different ones(and reading on here) on several websites.

Your budget and your abilities will play the biggest part in your decision as to what to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Caravanwise

Capri wrote: »

I'd look at professional conversions first or interior kits to do your own campervan conversion. There's a few firms that do kits for VW T4 and T5 vans. That way you can make the ideal campervan for you in a relatively short space of time and the finish will be less dependant on your skills.

Take a look at these.

http://www.convertyourvan.co.uk/
    http://www.rainbowconversions.co.uk/Furniture/VW_T4_furn.htm
    http://www.camperconversions.com/convert-your-van/
    http://www.northwestcampervanconversions.co.uk/

Cheers

Phil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Thats a good start, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

#Drive a Renault master before you make up your mind... or a 2.8 JTD Ducato.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    #Drive a Renault master before you make up your mind... or a 2.8 JTD Ducato.

Noted, good for touring in France ,Spain, and Italy due to their patriotic buying patterns = good supply of spares/mechanics knowledge;)!

• Advertisement

No , just nicer to drive and more economical (in my experience) than the Merc or ford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

No , just nicer to drive and more economical (in my experience) than the Merc or ford.

Good to hear that on the economy side though I must nearly be eligible for shares in one of the fuel companies by now with the amount of fuel that goes into the Ducato 2.8!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

You can also get a panelvan converted to your liking.

http://www.happycampers.ie/ is the job there.

I'd also look at the likes of a high-roof or pop-top VW Transporter. Just make sure it's a TDI, as the non-turbo or small TD engines are dog slow.

A pop-top has the advantage, that the camper is cheaper on ferries and fits into multistories. Also is cheaper on fuel and quicker due to it's smaller size. A high-roof camper does not.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

People forget that panel vans are much narrower than the original campers. The sides are steel so in order to put proper insulation one is going to lose space. The cost of conversion is quite expensive unless you can do it yourself. I researched this and found that the original vans are a much better buy and generally more spacious with that extra few feet width ;)Good value to be had at present

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

shawnee wrote: »
    People forget that panel vans are much narrower than the original campers. The sides are steel so in order to put proper insulation one is going to lose space. The cost of conversion is quite expensive unless you can do it yourself. I researched this and found that the original vans are a much better buy and generally more spacious with that extra few feet width ;)Good value to be had at present

It's all down to what you want. And sure, coach-build campervans tend to be wider. As for vans, if you want the width, the biggers ones, like Mercedes Sprinter or VW LT/Crafter are more the job.

The Op was looking for a basic setup though, so a van might be just right there.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 HymerSwingG

Hi all,
    New to this forum, just bought my first motorhome and trying to get my head around all the bits I need to remember in understanding how everything works! (bought a 99 Hymer Swing on Fiat Ducato 2.8)

The motorhome doesn't come with a reverse camera and I have been advised that rather than trying to chase a load of wires all over the camper - that it would be better to go for a wireless reverse camera.

Anyone got any good suggestions on a model that works well for campers?

Cheers.

Whoever suggested that obviously hasn't fitted (m)any! They are rubbish . I tried them . "wireless" is a fallacy too . The camera still needs a power source , so you still have to run wires to it , as does the monitor . So the only wire you are doing away with is the link cable , and tbh , that's not hard to install . I have probably done a hundred or more , so luckily I know what wires to splice into , rather than needing to go to the engine bay .

Edit : Apologies for the thread hijack!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 HymerSwingG

Thanks Aidan M M, great to hear that they are not at all as good as some of the adverts imply. Do you have a suggestion for a wired one so and an installer? I just outside Drogheda.

+1 on wireless technology being unreliable.
    No experience in the reversing camera department but loads in data and I prefer good auld copper for the job. Faster refresh rate, doesn't change it's characteristics with atmospheric conditions, radio interference, line of sight, density of nearby objects, induced magnetic fields, etc.
    Easier to troubleshoot wiring too.

@ Aidan ...not sure you need to apologise for hi-jacking a 2yo thread :P

so luckily I know what wires to splice into , rather than needing to go to the engine bay .

Can you still splice wires on modern multiplexed autoelectrics?

yes , not all of them but a surprising amount. Fiat only went multiplex with the 250 chassis anyways. You're more likely to do harm with a test lamp than by splicing . That said , I don't cut the cables to splice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

My father has a reversing camera on his yoke. It's more commonly known as a towbar though.

yes , not all of them but a surprising amount. Fiat only went multiplex with the 250 chassis anyways..

Interesting.
    Is it because the camera is such a low load you get away with it or what's your secret?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

There is an auto electricain that works on campervans in Dunshauglin ROOSKE AUTO ELECT FRANK 0872426622

Interesting.
    Is it because the camera is such a low load you get away with it or what's your secret?

no secret at all , just spent a while studying and testing wires in the looms , and taking notes!

• Advertisement

Feel free correct me if I'm wrong here (cos this is mostly hearsay and I probably am) but multiplexing as I understand it measures the voltage drop of the load so can identify lost bulbs etc.
    Splicing circuits I thought would throw up a fault.
    Plenty a machine goes apesh1te these days if you try to add trailer lighting or HIDs without a demultiplexer.

I cynically suspect it's all due to the fact that electronics are getting cheaper than copper and what's sold as diagnostic aid is a preventative measure to stop setting fire to too thin, too elaborate and fragile cable and secure dealer servicing?

You're right Liam , but not every single wire in the van is MP , there still has to be "strong" signal wires to and from relays etc .

Ah, gotcha.

Advertisement