Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vrt on minibus conversion

• 15-07-2014 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi guys, looking into a self build camper,
    Was looking at an ldv convoy minibus, 16 or 17 seater.
    Its on Irish plates,
    Am I liable for vrt on this?
    Dolmen say they wont insure anything over 8 seats so hoping to find insurance with someone else,
    Any help greatly appreciated guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

As it's a minibus VRT has been paid, so no liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Wizard

Thanks a million for your reply,
    I emailed roslare today asking about buying a minibus from the north and paying tye 200 euro vrt, and then converting to camper.
    The lady replied saying I would have to pay vrt at 13% omsp,
    Not what I expected.
    I will try to find one on Irish plates!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rosco p coltrane

hey Wizard

as aujopimur has stated. the logbook will have it stated that its a minibus, so no VRT as its been paid. I'm in the middle of converting a LDV, its been going on a while - just really busy with work. Don't worry about the insurance aspect of it as yet, when/if you get the bus - sell the seats, leave yourself some (4 seats or 2 seats)whatever suits your design, stick in your basics to get it over the hurdles and your done. you'll have no bother with insurance once all the boxes are ticked. Try to get the 2.5 transit banana engine, far more reliable of the LDV convoy models. Mines a 98 if thats of any use to you.

Thanks a million for your help, need to find a donor vehice now!
    If I bought a minibus from the north and paid 200 vrt to get onto Irish plates would it still be free of further vrt when I change to camper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

You'll only get the €200 rate if it's over 30 years old, BTW it's gone up to €250.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Your VRT liability will depend on what it was when it was brought into the country.
    You bring in a commercial and pay 250 then that will be deducted from the cost of the VRT when changing from Commercial to Camper.
    Bring one already completed and you will be paying 13.3% of the OMSP.
    I would think that even if you converted a big minibus 9+ seats you will still pay 13.3% as the larger PSV's have different VRT.
    Basically you will have to pay something if you import or convert a commercial here.
    Pretty typical for this country and a source of constant irritation for me when I think what could be a decent industry is handicapped by these ridiculous taxes.
    I am not sure but I don't think any other country taxes campervans like we do here.

Thanks a million for your help guys,
    Thats me looking for an Irish one then!
    Will let you know how I get on

Save yourself all the hassle and try to get an irish one. Your going to be looking for a high top one, as the rev has updated its criteria with regards to the 1.8metre height ( i don't have the link but i'll get it and add it to this)

Lots of people saying a renault master is the one, re: comfort, the LDV are rattler's.

Mine was wax oiled underneath from new- so rust is, more or less not an issue. The LDV's are prone to rust. I do have to stress the "banana" engine 2.5 ford transit, is the one to go for. Avoid the ford duratec 2.4 or the Peugeot engine. Have a good root about. Pull up the mats around the driver seat and the opposite side and look for rust. The area around the windscreen (not necessarily the windscreen seal/rubber) is prone for leaks (if you can put a hose on it to test it - do it, or ask for it to be done in your presence)

This site has been brilliant for me, with regards for advice, so come back and ask questions - and help will be at hand.

Hi again rosco, got my bus and in the process of stripping it out, got the 2.5 engine also, how are you getting on with yours ? Any tips you can pass on to me

nice one. where in the country are you? Maybe PM me your number for a natter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Mikesound

Hi Rosco and Wizard,
    I'm looking for some guidance please.
    I'm on my third conversion, fecking love paying vrt I dohehehehe
    I've done an factory built import.
    I've done a commercial to camper self build.
    Now I'm looking at doing a minibus to camper conversion.
    Any tips or potential pitfalls?
    Thanks in ad-van-ce
    Mike

Hi there,

Well, seems like you've been round the block and back again with all your conversions - i take my capeen off to you sir !!

Any pitfalls - yes, once you start don't stop. I'm going to be putting mine up for sale as i don't have the time to finish it.

Did you have anything in particular you needed answered - i'll help if i can.

R P C

Advertisement