Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibly a new dog owner?

Options
  • 02-01-2009 5:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this has been done a dozen times too many but here goes.
    I've been strongly considering the last few months getting a dog from the local rescue. Heres the main problem for me is that I live in a full time working house ie; 9-6.
    The positive side to myself is that I regularly look after my brothers dog when he goes away on holidays, a Cavalier king charles. He's very old . He lives elsewhere and his dog never has problems and we get on great, further backing myself up. Not just that but I work near where I live so i'd see the dog on my break too. My friend has a 1 year old border collie so the lucky dog would also have a friend to play with. The household is just myself and my mother.

Do you think i'm the sort who they would allow to adopt a dog? especially considering i've experience with looking after dogs before. I've thoroughly thought this through and now that xmas is over it'll be a little easier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I think you will have a good chance of getting an adult dog to adopt. :) Very few rescues will give you a puppy with your schedule.

I don't know your situation, it may be your house and your mother lives with you but if you are still living at home, I would not recommend getting yourself a dog. What if you end up moving to rented accom that doesn't allow animals, when you decide to move out. It's not a year or two of a commitment, it's at least 12 years, so if you're not settled, maybe you should wait until you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

hi helena.ryan thanks for the advice. Might go for an older dog (save toilet training too :) ) anyways i'm sure if i do move out it'll be to a house with the dog in mind. In other words dog comes too. I'm only 18 so thats a few years down the road.

Just be sure, I did the same with my cats and found it very hard to get a place which accepted them. :)

I used to have a cat they dont seem that troublesome to landlords?
    anyways I'll be heading up to the rescue on Saturday morning to see whats up. I'm so excited about it all! Is there anything I should be looking out for? My friend got his dog there and they sorted his dog out with all the vaccinations on some sort of grant?

Just noticed there's a thread based on what I get from a dog rescue there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jammi

Congo,

I'm considering the exact same thing as you.

I have my own house, I live on my own, I'm 29, and I work close by (sometimes working from home also).

We had a family dog for years (cross breed labrador - retriever), when I lived at home, so I'm well aware of how to look after a dog.

My question I suppose is, how much do dogs cost these days, per month?

Also, my garden isn't huge, so I'm concious of not getting a big dog (not a huge amount of space to run around in, but can certainly move around....want to be fair to it) ?

At the same time, I'm not particularly keen on small dogs. Is there an in between choice? I love Huskies and Labradors, but they could be a bit big for my own house and garden?

All thoughts and suggestions welcome.

• Advertisement

Jammi wrote: »
    Congo,

I have my own house, I live on my own, I'm 29, and I work close by (sometimes working from home also).

We had a family dog for years (cross breed labrador - retriever), when I lived at home, so I'm well aware of how to look after a dog.

Also, my garden isn't huge, so I'm concious of not getting a big dog (not a huge amount of space to run around in, but can certainly move around....want to be fair to it) ?

At the same time, I'm not particularly keen on small dogs. Is there an in between choice? I love Huskies and Labradors, but they could be a bit big for my own house and garden?

Jammi,
    Im my personal opinion there are small border collies available out there that are great companions. Many of my friends of have them . there are pics in my sig. They're playful and the most intelligent breed (by opinion).

Unfortunately my mother has taken ill so adopting a dog has now become a distant idea. Perhaps in the summer hopefully.
    Also Jammi, I too have a fairly small garden but provided you're able to love and walk your dog then your sorted imo but im sure others here would less than agree with me even though i've been around dogs longer than i care to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Congo,

We were in a similar situation to you. Own house, smallish garden, liked golden retrievers, but felt they were a bit big for our garden.
    Ended up deciding on a Cocker Spaniel, and got our pup back in July when he was 8 weeks.
    He's great, loves rummaging round the garden, which isn't too small for him, and loves his walks in the park. :)
    Having said all that, our neighbours have a gorgeous golden lab, same size garden, they take him walking regularly or have one of the kids in the estate do it. He's a lovely friendly dog with no problems in the small garden.
    I suppose if you're willing to put the time into exercising the dog, he will be fine, so you could get yourself a lab if you were committed to giving it the required exercise.

Cost really depends on what you are willing to put into it TBH. A large bag of good quality food costs about €50 and will last a good long time. After that, pet insurance, between 10 & 20 a month depending on breed. Vets bills shouldn't be too much if you have insurance, just the general vax etc.

As for space, a dog will be happier in a small garden with regular walks and time with you, than they would be with acres to run around but no structured walks or interaction. :)
    congo_90 wrote: »

Unfortunately my mother has taken ill so adopting a dog has now become a distant idea. Perhaps in the summer hopefully.
    Also Jammi, I too have a fairly small garden but provided you're able to love and walk your dog then your sorted imo but im sure others here would less than agree with me even though i've been around dogs longer than i care to remember.
    Sorry to hear that about your mother.

:) I don't think anybody who knows anything about dogs would disagree with the above sentiment.
    He's a lovely friendly dog with no problems in the small garden.
    I suppose if you're willing to put the time into exercising the dog, he will be fine, so you could get yourself a lab if you were committed to giving it the required exercise.
    We have a decent garden for a housing estate, our neighbours one is even bigger, being a corner house, their lab never gets out and is going mad. :( so it's definately more important to walk your dog than it is to have a big garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Dogs will not be rehomed to houses unless they have a secure garden, if it is an indoor type dog they are offering he/she will not be rehomed to you if you are intending on keeping him/her outside as they do request that you keep the dog indoors.

Outside dogs will not be rehomed unless they have the secure garden and suitable out door shelter.

Sometimes small children may be an issue

Also if their is no one in the house through out the day and your working full time, then that is an automatic no no from most ppl

Rescue Adoptions require a Home Check and an Adoption form to be filled out, where by you declare that you agree to what they say and that the dog is never fully yours meanin - if you feel you have not got the time for the dog, or he/she is not adjusting to you, your home, your family, you then must notify the rescue and return the dog to their care.

Most ppl are put off by the adoption process so by pass that be going to the pound, booking a dog and on its release day payin the release fee and then having their own dog.

Cost wise per wk depends on the size of dog and it's diet

Advertisement