Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you move your car at Filling Stations?

• 08-08-2011 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭

It's busy at a petrol station and cars are queuing to get to the pumps. You just finished filling your tank. Do you move your car before paying or leave it at the pump until after you've made your transaction.

What do you do 256 votes

Move car, then pay
    0%
    Leave car at pumps
    22%
    Dont be at yourselfTheFatiggyAntiRipDj445279.ieViper_JBMc LoveprospectTimecolm_mcmfatbhoyhiscandixieflyroad_highblack & whitethe merchantDamien360randomerDancor 58 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    77%
    YakuzaVertakillSpunog UIEDingatron_Kaiser_DunMatt SimisjoolsveerleeroybrownPaulwSesshoumaruGerardKeatingjhegartyshinobiDrag00n79geniePaddyFaganinforfunJohnDigitalCyrus 198 votes

Comments

I move it if there's space, I generally fill up at a busy and cramped forecourt so moving it isn't an option most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Atari Jaguar
    I leave it at the pump until I've paid.
    But if I want a coffee/sandwich I'll pay, move car and then go in again for the coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

leave it till i pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Atari Jaguar
    The two times Ive moved it the staff have freaked the F out. Moral of the story.. do not move your car from the pump, just get in an pay fast and get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Leave car at pumps
    Always, if there's somewhere to move it to. I wish more people would do it, though. What do they be doing in there that takes so long?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If there's room I'll move it forward so someone else can get to the pump. At my local station though there's very little room, if I were to move forward it'd obstruct people trying to get out, so I leave it at the pump then go in and pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Buffman

Atari Jaguar
    No. There's no point as the pump won't work again until you pay and the cashier clears the pump. I don't think the 1 minute it takes return to the car and leave after paying is putting anyone out.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

nahh, i have a horse outside.;)but i would leave car till i pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Atari Jaguar
    I leave it. I wouldn't move it in case the owner thinks I'm doing a legger (again)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Pay first then move. ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Leave car at pumps
    Buffman wrote: »
    No. There's no point as the pump won't work again until you pay and the cashier clears the pump. I don't think the 1 minute it takes return to the car and leave after paying is putting anyone out.

In my experience, the cashier will clear the pump once they see you moving. And if it was only a minute, fine, but it takes some people fcuking FOREVER to get in and out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Leave car at pumps
    Yes I move it and let the next in, if there is space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Leave car at pumps
    Do move the car. Diesel is cheap where I buy it and the queues can be a pain. The cashiers can pump again before I've paid. So if you're in the queue before me, move the car please!

When I worked in a service station, the next transaction could commence before the previous one was paid for. That was about 11/12 years ago now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Leave car at pumps
    No. There's no point as the pump won't work again until you pay and the cashier clears the pump.
    the station i usually go to you can use the pump straight away after someone else. its a busy spot do.

if there was someone waiting behind me i will move if i can even if its only to go in and pay. people that leave their car at the pump then go in to the deli or such should be shot!!

Atari Jaguar
    Honey-ec wrote: »
    In my experience, the cashier will clear the pump once they see you moving.

Dunno about that, most of the tills I see are linked to the pump, if they clear it before you pay, how will they know how much you've owe, especially in a busy station?
    RoverJames wrote: »
    When I worked in a service station, the next transaction could commence before the previous one was paid for. That was about 11/12 years ago now.

Fair enough, but I'm still not moving.:D

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I usually move the motorbike into a gap because it takes a while to put back on helmet and gloves etc and it's easy to push, but in the car if I have a passenger I'll move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

As stated above, the pump cannot be authorised until the last transaction is paid. Moving the car won't speed things up it'll just make the next customer feel better.

Dunno about that, most of the tills I see are linked to the pump, if they clear it before you pay, how will they know how much you've owe, especially in a busy station?

When the pump is lifted a thing buzzes in the shop, once the pump is activated the previous amount is stored on the display that the counter person is looking at.

crosstownk wrote: »
    As stated above, the pump cannot be authorised until the last transaction is paid. Moving the car won't speed things up it'll just make the next customer feel better.

That's not correct from my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭scoobymunster

Atari Jaguar
    Matt Simis wrote: »
    The two times Ive moved it the staff have freaked the F out. Moral of the story.. do not move your car from the pump, just get in an pay fast and get out.
    Because of too many people driving off without paying, most forecourts around me would go mental if you tried to get back into the car before paying. Luckily the places I normally use usually have an attendant, so if you've the correct money just hand it to them as soon as your done, back on the road within 30 seconds of closing the fuel cap:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Atari Jaguar
    nah I leave it at the pumps, stroll on in, check out what magazines are available, read the news headlines, pay for diesel and then order the euromillions etc and then stroll on out.....if they in such a hurry they can find another petrol station;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    nah I leave it at the pumps, stroll on in, check out what magazines are available, read the news headlines, pay for diesel and then order the euromillions etc and then stroll on out.....if they in such a hurry they can find another petrol station;)

You sir, are a true gent :D

Atari Jaguar
    Sc@recrow wrote: »
    nah I leave it at on the pumps, stroll on in, check out what magazines are available, read the news headlines, pay for diesel and then order the euromillions etc and then stroll on out.....if they in such a hurry they can find another petrol station;)
    :D
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvSa1Up2XEAu-UJwHbiYbxSXvyX0Zf1Bg2QE8Ce-P3kf5Q6rLmPQ:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Atari Jaguar
    Used to work in a petrol station. Leave the car where it is and pay. Yes the pump can be authorised for the next car and the previous amount stored on a 'recall' button, but if it's busy it's hard keeping track of which cars were at which pump and who owns the different recalls, especially with 8+ pumps on the console. It only takes a minute to go in and pay and if the person behind you is impatient, fupp them, they should get fuel when it's quieter.

one thing that really pisses me off is someone parking at the pumps just to go to the shop, last friday i was on the m7 soutbound, a girl in a mini was in the outside lane the whole way from the curragh exit to the monasterevin exit behind me, into the new service station and parked at the pumps and into the deli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Atari Jaguar
    Matt Simis wrote: »

Can't see why they adopt that attitude. Even if they won't let the other guy start to fill up until you have paid, I don't see why they got so upset, it's not like you were doing a runner.

It will if the guy behind the counter resets the pump before the previous person has paid.
    RoverJames wrote: »
    crosstownk wrote: »
    As stated above, the pump cannot be authorised until the last transaction is paid.

Not true, see RoverJames above and my comment below.

I normally leave the car where it is and nip in and pay but last week there was a guy queuing behind me so I moved forward to a parking spot when I was finished at the pump and while I was inside queuing to pay I could see that the guy in my lane was filling up so there are intelligent people working in filling stations and you do not have to pay before the pump is reset for the next guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Atari Jaguar
    :D Pappyodaniel, did my comments really annoy you enough to start a thread with a poll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

Atari Jaguar
    I always leave the car at the pump until I've paid, but I'm mindful of the queue behind and try to be as quick as possible. Busy or quiet it takes me the same amount of time to pay unless theres a large queue at the counter.

Hardly ever takes me more than 1 min to finish pumping, pay and return.

• Advertisement

Atari Jaguar
    guil wrote: »
    one thing that really pisses me off is someone parking at the pumps just to go to the shop, last friday i was on the m7 soutbound, a girl in a mini was in the outside lane the whole way from the curragh exit to the monasterevin exit behind me, into the new service station and parked at the pumps and into the deli

If she was in the fast lane behind you, why didn't you pull over and let her pass?

Leave car at pumps
    If its busy I will always move its common sense and good manners imo, I dont bother if its quite though.

It actually drives me mad when people wont move when your obviously waiting behind them I have almost gone up giving out to people on a few occasions who have spent 5 minutes in paying while I have been waiting outside.

i was in the driving lane the whole way down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Atari Jaguar
    There are signs in the forecourt of the filling station in my local village that request customers to move after filling before entering the shop to pay. But since the place is always packed the car stays at the pump most of the time. (unless someone is waiting and there is a nearby space).

Besides (this will sound obnoxious) but if I'm handing over around €85 to €95 for a fill I think 2 mins worth of "free parking" is o.k... right? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Leave car at pumps
    :D Pappyodaniel, did my comments really annoy you enough to start a thread with a poll?

Haha, na I just wanted to see what the motors forum thought about the subject. You know what my opinion is on the subject ;)

I just wish more people were as perfect as me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,507 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Atari Jaguar
    I never move from the pump, any time in the past where I did there was always hassle finding out how much I owed and it just got messy especially when your at a busy station with loads of pumps running at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

Atari Jaguar
    Leave it at the pump but be as quick as possible, unless at my own regular local place where I move it if there's a queue then go in, they know me there so don't call cops when I move it.

Not like some numpty did once when I moved over to park beside the air line once, less than a minute from I stop pumping until I'm in at the till and the cops were already notified so never doing that again. In fairness to him I had just pumped over €100 of diesel and he can't see the place I parked from inside so he was probably worried.

Leave car at pumps
    If its busy I will always move its common sense and good manners imo, I dont bother if its quite though.

It actually drives me mad when people wont move when your obviously waiting behind them I have almost gone up giving out to people on a few occasions who have spent 5 minutes in paying while I have been waiting outside.

Same here. I actually moved someone's car once and parked it around the side of the petrol station. Got back in my car, filled the tank, paid the cashier and left before the owner of the other car came back out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Atari Jaguar
    It really depends, my parents live near the Austrian border where petrol is up to 12 cents cheaper than in Germany and queues can be mental. There's a sign requesting you to fill up, move to the car park, then pay. If I'm over there, that's what I do.
    Here, the concept is virtually unknown. If the garage would put up such a sign 80% of the people won't understand and won't move, therefore it's pointless to do so. So I just run in and out.
    But people parking at the pump, not getting petrol and doing their weekly shopping?
    Death penalty on the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Atari Jaguar
    Death penalty on the spot.

death by being doused in petrol and we can all take turns flicking matches at them...we could run a pot for whoever wins :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Atari Jaguar
    coylemj wrote: »
    Can't see why they adopt that attitude. Even if they won't let the other guy start to fill up until you have paid, I don't see why they got so upset, it's not like you were doing a runner.

And how would they know that? I used to work in a petrol station and it freaked me out when people did that. It doesn't matter that it mightn't have happened too often, it'd still be on my shoulders if the person did a runner.

I even had someone talking to another person during a slow period for a few minutes, then hopping into their car and leaving without paying. He came back a few hours later with a sheepish look on his face asking if he had forgotten to pay, but I wasn't to know if he was coming back or not.

That was about 11 years ago, and each pump had the facility to allow two transactions before they had to be cleared, but I'd rather have people waiting than trying to keep an eye on someone who may or may not either do a runner or have "forgotten" to pay while I may be serving someone else.

• Advertisement

Atari Jaguar
    Dun wrote: »
    I'd rather have people waiting than trying to keep an eye on someone who may or may not either do a runner or have "forgotten" to pay while I may be serving someone else.

Either the first guy has done a runner or he hasn't, why keep the next guy waiting either way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

It's busy at a petrol station and cars are queuing to get to the pumps. You just finished filling your tank. Do you move your car before paying or leave it at the pump until after you've made your transaction.

if i knew i was to take long i would move it. if there was space free and someone looking for a space i would move it

stupid fools hogging pumps are the worst type, even sitting in cars AFTER getting back from the petrol shop assing around, counting money or what.

GTFO!!!

Atari Jaguar
    The absolute worst behaviour is where someone drives into the middle lane, blocks access to the pumps on their left and right and then runs into the shop without getting any petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

guil wrote: »

Pure ignorant, plenty of em out there tho. Some petrol stations seem to be blackspots for it tho. Anyone who has tried to get petrol in the station leaving Mallow for Limerick will see this all the time. The really special ones try to really cut down on the walk to the front door, and can take two pumps out of commission.

Worst ever was this tho:
    Went to get petrol in Newcastlewest one day. 4 pump "islands" in the forecourt.
    I'm just parked up when an old fella rolls in and parks up as if queueing, despite there being a free pump. I fill her up anyway, this guy is staring at me the whole time. I'm filling it from empty, so the staring is getting creepy well before the tank is full.

I go into pay, no move out of yer man despite several more people having left after paying. I'm intrigued at this stage, so I pull away but look back to see what he does.

He parks up smack bang in the middle of the four pumps, gets out, and heads into the shop without pumping any fuel at all, taking one side of four pumps out of action :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Same here. I actually moved someone's car once and parked it around the side of the petrol station. Got back in my car, filled the tank, paid the cashier and left before the owner of the other car came back out.

why didnt ya wait to see what the other person would say..?

Leave car at pumps
    mattjack wrote: »
    why didnt ya wait to see what the other person would say..?

I was in a hurry. Let that be her lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Why not just use the diesel pump that is out of the way of the 'busy' ones, its cheaper at those too :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Monty.

Atari Jaguar
    What's far worse is parking near the pump, or in the way of incoming cars, when you don't need fuel, and then wander into the shop. I see that all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Monty.

Atari Jaguar
    I actually moved someone's car once and parked it around the side of the petrol station. Got back in my car, filled the tank, paid the cashier and left before the owner of the other car came back out.
    I was in a hurry. Let that be her lesson.

If she called the cops, or took a civil case, you'd be the one learning the lesson. You could be some perv/sicko planting something, how would she know ? Or she could easily make up a claim that something valuable was missing from the car afterwards. You'd be on the garage CCTV and she'd could make lots of trouble for you.

Better still if it was my car, I'd enjoy whaling my wheel brace repeatedly off the back of your head, before you got time to get back out, and then ask questions later about whether you were trying to steal the car or not.

Don't ever mess with other peoples property. Let that be your lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

In the m1 service stations at lusk, both north and southbound, there is a chalk sandwhich board inside the door asking people to please move their car to the car park after paying for petrol before going in to have your lunch.
    I find it so very sad for humanity that people have to be told this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement