Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question about database design

Options
  • 14-09-2014 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

hi just had a quick question about setting up a new database in microsoft access. hope it's ok to post here. i am finally getting round to databasing my music collection and would like to include photographs of the vinyls, cds etc. now it would be easy to just stick a field in the record and put an image in it but was wondering what would i do if i had like 10 images of the same vinyl?

some of the vinyls might be gatefolds and have interesting inserts etc so there is no way of knowing how many images i would need. should i make a table just for images and link each image to the disc? is that the norm? and what if i had an image for the band/artist could i put that information in there too or is there an easier way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I would suggest you store then on the hard drive and put links in the database. Access has 2GB limit. Afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

ok thanks for that, didn't realize there was a limit. i'll put the links in their own table and link them to an album, artist. see what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You can store them in the database. But I'm guessing who want a database their music must have quite a lot. If you are going to the both of storing all the different parts of the album cover artwork, you probably want to store a lot of graphics and in decent quality also. So you might hit the limits quick enough.

If you say a bit more about how you intending using the database, offline, online, shared or not shared, perhaps others could advise you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

oh its only offline for myself. i kinda just want it to see what records and cds i have so i don't buy them again. it should be quicker than rooting through boxes of vinyls if i see something i like on ebay or somewhere. there are so many different editions of albums etc its hard to keep track of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

There are tons of programs out there to do this already if you want to avoid a lot of hard work ;) Some free and some pay for.

Here's 2 examples but you can Google for lots more

My Music Collection (Pay for but comprehensive)

JB Music Catalogue (Free)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
Advertisement