Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Napoli V Chelsea UEFA Champions League Round of 16, 21st February K/O 7:45PM SS1

• 20-02-2012 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭

Under-fire Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas may start injury-hit captain John Terry in their Champions League tie with Napoli on Tuesday.

Despite insisting he has the unconditional support of owner Roman Abramovich ahead of the first leg of the round-of-16 clash, an embarrassing home draw with Championship side Birmingham in their FA Cup fifth-round tie on Saturday, after three games without a win in the Premier League, would suggest otherwise.

The London outfit have slipped to fifth in England’s top flight and with leadership question marks plaguing the inexperienced Villas-Boas, his decision to select the stricken Terry could prove to be the defining moment of a darkening season on Tuesday.

“I will leave it as late as possible and make a decision on him after training in Naples,” Villas-Boas said.

“(Terry) is a great leader, gives you an extra emotional push. He’s a player of great importance.”

“They have a strong front three with (Marek) Hamsik, (Edinson) Cavani and (Ezequiel) Lavezzi.”

Of interest, too, will be Villas-Boas’ use of Frank Lampard, who looked less than impressed coming on as a second-half substitute against Birmingham.
    All this will be music to the ears of Napoli manager Walter Mazzarri and after advancing from the competitions toughest group, which included the likes of Manchester City and Bayern Munich, he admitted Napoli ‘are in better shape’ than their beleaguered opponents.

Napoli have arrested a lean run with back-to-back victories in Serie A, the latest a clinical 3-0 dismissal away to Fiorentina.

A confident Mazzarri, who will not be on the bench due to a two-game touchline ban after he pushed Nilmar during their qualification-clinching 2-0 win over Villarreal, knows his side are facing Chelsea with the odds stacked in their favour.

“We are in better shape than Chelsea going into this game, but they have champions who are accustomed to playing a certain level of game,” Mazzarri said.

“On Tuesday they know that they cannot make a mistake, so will become unified and I doubt we’ll be facing a team in crisis.”

Doubts remain over defender Hugo Campagnaro, who limped off during the win in Florence, while Ashley Cole remains sidelined for Chelsea with a calf strain.

The tie may come down to Napoli’s vaunted front trio with the uncertainty in Chelsea’s defence.

Cavani bagged a brace against Fiorentina and Villas-Boas knows only too well the damage either of the three could do to his hopes of remaining at Stamford Bridge.

“Cavani is an amazing player. They are a danger. Their strength is in the collective spirit. They have an inner belief in each other. It will be a massive challenge. Everyone saw what Napoli did in a group which put Manchester City out,” Villas-Boas warned.

Hoping we can at least get a draw out of this game, even if we lose 2-1 it wouldnt be the end of the world as the away goal could be critical here.

given our recent performances you dont know whats going to happen or how we'll perform in what is certainly a huge test for AVB.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I fancy Napoli to knock Chelsea out. Really looking forward to this tie. Should be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Really looking forward to this. Napoli are picking up form again and the thought of Cavani and Lavezzi getting a go at Chelsea's centre-backs fills me with hope. However, if as indications suggest, Drogba starts up front he too could have a field day, especially if Camapgnaro doesn't make it and Aronica does.

Ultimately, I think if Napoli play without fear they can, and arguably should, win this. They have a very impressive record against the other top sides in Serie A and the City game shows that they are no longer daunted by the big fixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Napoli are such a dangerous attacking side, i can definitely see the chelsea defense struggling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I love watching Napoli. Such a great attacking side to watch. Don't think either team's defence are particularly great so I'm expecting goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Napoli at 13/10 to win this is very tempting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Really depends the way Chelsea approach the game. They should go with a similar tactic as they did in their home game against Valencia where they sat quite deep and countered, Drogba will get chances against this Napoli defence. If they play a high line that they've used a lot this season there's few better sides in Europe with a more ruthless counter attacking abilities than Napoli and they could get done for a few goals if they set up that way. But Napoli really are quite poor at breaking down teams who defend with numbers and rarely have a plan B, and often resort to Inler long range efforts. Hamsik imo is one of the most over-rated players in Serie A, if they had a more effective player in that creative role they'd be a genuine top class team, but they've struggled this season in Italy as teams have become far wiser to their formation and style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

On recent performances, Chelsea dont fill me with confidence at all at all. I'm hoping we can get the job done over 2 legs but Napoli will definetly fancy their chances if JT doesnt make it for us and we deploy Luiz and Ivanovic or Cahill at CB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

3-1 to Napoli then 1-1 next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Aquila wrote: »
    Chelsea to win 6-0 and Fernando Torres to score a hatrick and AVB to recieve a kiss from Roman on the pitch

Aaahhhh I see you've found Mutu's secret stash ya? :pac:

I dont think Torres will even start. Although of his 5 Chelsea goals, 2 have come in the UCL.

So ya never know :o

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Would like to see Torres start but will be happy enough with Drog's either..

As bad as Torres was on Saturday, Drogba had less touches than him :O

For counter attacking purposes, I'd stick with Torres.

The problem is at the moment Torres is doing well up until the point of scoring and with Dorgba he can be as effective as a plank of wood at times, and on Saturday Drogba was actually worse then Torres when he was given the whole of the 2nd half.

Actually thinking about, this is what I'd like to see.

Cech

Ivan----Luiz---Cahill---Bos

Romeu

----Lamps---Essien

Ramies---Sturridge---Mata

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

chelsea have far too much experience for them at this level and will win this tie with something to spare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Think Napoli will win by 2 clear goals

rossie1977 wrote: »
    chelsea have far too much experience for them at this level and will win this tie with something to spare

Wish I could share your belief. Napoli showed at homes their no pushovers and they know if they push us in Naple and get a victory they'll have something to hold onto in London.

I think we'll fair better then City and I think we'll get the job done but it wont be convincing, we're not playing well enough at the moment and Napoli pose a real threat to knock us out.
    nuxxx wrote: »
    Think Napoli will win by 2 clear goals

I dont think so, however even a 2-1 lose isnt a disaster for us.

Its so hard to predict with Chelsea this year and it all depends, if we dont start well, whcih we havent in our last handful of games, Napoli could impose themselves on us and take us by the juglar and punish us.

One things for certain they wont fear us over 2 legas anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

gavredking wrote: »
    Wish I could share your belief. Napoli showed at homes their no pushovers and they know if they push us in Naple and get a victory they'll have something to hold onto in London.

I think we'll fair better then City and I think we'll get the job done but it wont be convincing, we're not playing well enough at the moment and Napoli pose a real threat to knock us out.

everyone is basing napoli on that city game, napoli have won like 8 or 9 of the 25 league games this season so they don't win that often, this liverpool side were able to get a 0-0 draw against napoli last season in naples so i expect chelsea to at least match that http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/9109871.stm

My main concern is their attack against our defence, flip side of that is they've conceeded something like an average of a goal a game so far in Serie A.

Most of the Chelsea fans concerns are that we're playing fairly poorly recently and tis been a slum that we ahvent got out of, any otehr season and I'd say this was a foregone conclusion, bt thos season and at this moment its very tough to call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

My main concern is their attack against our defence, flip side of that is they've conceeded something like an average of a goal a game so far in Serie A.

Most of the Chelsea fans concerns are that we're playing fairly poorly recently and tis been a slum that we ahvent got out of, any otehr season and I'd say this was a foregone conclusion, bt thos season and at this moment its very tough to call.

I'm banking on the slower pace of european football, especially italian sides
    Its more about possession than the 90 mph and physical type of EPL.
    Like with Valenica, we let them have most of the possession and than WHAM BAM! the old one-two! :D
    In fact I expect the same side and tactics as the Valenica game pretty much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Unless things change dramatically i can see us really struggling.

We offered very little in our last two games, especially the game against Everton. Lack of fight and spirit.

I think Napoli will be well up for this but unfortunately you cant say the same about us. If Napoli are up for it and we're not we will get turned over IMO.

All depends whether we show up or not really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Going over for this one, and will be disappointed if Napoli don't win by two clear goals. Defence is always a liability with them, although Britos returning from injury had steadied the ship. That and Mazzarri dropping the error prone Aronica made a huge difference in the last two games with Chievo and Fiorentina. I just cannot see Chelsea scoring though, in their present form. Torres confidence has dissapitated, Drogba seems thoroughly unhappy. Sturridge is so so. Only Mata provides a real threat, although Ramirez did play well at the weekend.

If Napoli win by any margin and keep Chelsea scoreles, then I believe the Partnopei are as good as through to the quarters. The Napolitans are set up to play counter attack football, whether away or home, Dossena and Maggio love to bomb forward in support of the three musketeers - Hamsik, Lavezzi and Cavani. When these guys run at Terry and Luiz, it's hard not to see the home side creating numerous opportunities. Added to this is the San Paolo factor, the 12th man, and definitely the most intimidating football arena in Western Europe.

2-0 to Napoli.

Forza Azzurri!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

everyone is basing napoli on that city game, napoli have won like 8 or 9 of the 25 league games this season so they don't win that often, this liverpool side were able to get a 0-0 draw against napoli last season in naples so i expect chelsea to at least match that http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/9109871.stm
    League form counts for nothing in Europe. We've seen that with Inter. Napoli will treat this as a cup game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Interesting offer from SetantaBet:

We're offering best price of 4/1 for Cavani to score and Napoli to beat #CFC

All AVB has to do is promise to resign only IF they beat them over 2 legs and win the FA Cup - GAME ON - the ultimate motivational tactics!
    Super Frank hat trick coming up :D

yermandan wrote: »
    Interesting offer from SetantaBet:

We're offering best price of 4/1 for Cavani to score and Napoli to beat #CFC

Arghhhhh

If I wasn't a Chelsea fan!

thebison wrote: »
    Arghhhhh

If I wasn't a Chelsea fan!

Jump on it, might aswell make money if we do get knocked out.

:p:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'm banking on the slower pace of european football, especially italian sides

You obviously haven't watched Napoli play in the last 3 seasons...

What a lazy, uneducated, brainless stereotype.

Seaneh wrote: »

Ouch.... :pac:

Seaneh wrote: »

Ooh suits you sir - prickly much? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Yea, even that City game that Napoli won, I thought City were easily the better side and should have at least got a draw.

Napoli can be dangerous at times but they are definitely overrated by most EPL fans, they aren't half as good as what people think they are. I'd fancy Chelsea to go through myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Blatter wrote: »
    Yea, even that City game that Napoli won, I thought City were easily the better side and should have at least got a draw.

Napoli can be dangerous at times but they are definitely overrated by most EPL fans, they aren't half as good as what people think they are. I'd fancy Chelsea to go through myself.

True. But i reckon Napoli will be up for this one. Chelsea on the other hand may or may not turn up, we're in a terrible run of form at the moment and this is a dangerous game to be going into for us.

Advertisement