Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you move your car at Filling Stations?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭gs300

Atari Jaguar
    I normally stay where I am as I am in and out as quick as possible, alot of these garages don't have enough space to allow you to move while you pay.

What really annoys me and can take time is when someone goes in to pay and don't take the split second to look at the pump number and stand at the till of a busy garage and point saying " it's the one over there the blue one" would it not just be easy to say " pump 5 €50 thanks".

Or is that just me??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Atari Jaguar
    Nah, I just leave it. I usually only stop to fill up when I see it's not too busy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I was in a hurry. Let that be her lesson.

the Great Avenger ...............you moved a female motorists car because she delayed you all of five minutes or so.......?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Leave car at pumps
    I always move into a place if available. Staff usually have enough cop on to know what I am doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Atari Jaguar
    Very surprised at the number of people who have voted that they move before paying, only because I've never seen anyone do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Atari Jaguar
    couple years ago I was working in one of busiest PFS in north side Dublin as security. You wont believe how many times people forgot on which pump they was , and how much fuel they filled, which lead to short payments, misunderstandings and people misbehaving . ... and that's only over they move their car.... or send somebody else pay, and driver move car.....
    Also sometimes people meet their mates and start yapping , for half an hour or even longer, and two cars blocked pumps.
    My opinion... came after fuel ? Fill car, go and pay, come back and move your car, and then do whatever you want .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Atari Jaguar
    All of the stations here have the option to pay at the pump. Easy as hell.

Especially for mummies who don't want to either A) have to unbuckle X number of kids and bring them in, or B) leave them in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Atari Jaguar
    Depends on the station, if there are plenty of pumps then no, just pay as fast as I can and then go on my merry way. The one near my folks place in Clondalkin has two pumps so it would be a little selfish hogging the two pumps if I don't move my car so yes will move and pay as its just rude not to. One pump is hard to get at, if someone happens to be at the nearest one to the entrance filling up. Not impossible, but depending on how they are parked whilst filling up it can be difficult.I have been behind some oul' dear filling up at said pump and for some reason she gets back into her car, sits there for a full minute (gathering thoughts???) and then proceeds to limp over to the cashier.

Meanwhile one pump is free and two cars are behind me frustrated, daring me to scrape my paint and perhaps even knocking her over to get around her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Atari Jaguar
    Fill tank, leave car, pay and get the f... out of there.

I have the impression though that a lot of people go for a full irish breakfast first while leaving the car at the pump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,459 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Atari Jaguar
    Monty. wrote: »
    If she called the cops, or took a civil case, you'd be the one learning the lesson. You could be some perv/sicko planting something, how would she know ? Or she could easily make up a claim that something valuable was missing from the car afterwards. You'd be on the garage CCTV and she'd could make lots of trouble for you.

Better still if it was my car, I'd enjoy whaling my wheel brace repeatedly off the back of your head, before you got time to get back out, and then ask questions later about whether you were trying to steal the car or not.

Don't ever mess with other peoples property. Let that be your lesson.

Unless their car was much better than yours..in which case hop into that instead :) although you mighn't get far if they were waiting for fuel :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Leave car at pumps
    Dun wrote: »
    And how would they know that? I used to work in a petrol station and it freaked me out when people did that. It doesn't matter that it mightn't have happened too often, it'd still be on my shoulders if the person did a runner.

Can someone who worked in a service station explain to me why the teller would be responsible for someone doing a legger after filling up?

If I want to leave the forecourt without paying, there's not much you'll do to stop me from inside the shop. It's the CCTV that's the deterrent, not the teller. How could you possibly be held accountable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

I pay at the pump :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Atari Jaguar
    Pay first then move, not a fan of flash photography.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

I voted Atari Jaguar as it depends on a number of variables. Am I in a rush? How busy is the station? Am I buying something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Atari Jaguar
    I never move.

In fact just two weeks ago, at the very busy applegreen on the N7 southbound after Rathcoole, I parked at the pump, put in 25L, went into the shop, into the bathroom, ordered a Panini, browsed for a while then paid for everything, collected my panini, got in the car, and then I moved the car over to the side parking to munch my Panini.

What can I say, I'm a dick :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

Leave car at pumps
    coylemj wrote: »
    The absolute worst behaviour is where someone drives into the middle lane, blocks access to the pumps on their left and right and then runs into the shop without getting any petrol.

And it almost always women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

Leave car at pumps
    I always move out of the way; even if that means parking out on the street. There is never an issue with the car behind me, they start pumping straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

I'd say about 1 in 20 do it. Which is probably consistent with the rest of things in this kip. 95% are thick. I always move, of course ;).

Atari Jaguar
    Condatis wrote: »
    I always move out of the way; even if that means parking out on the street. There is never an issue with the car behind me, they start pumping straight away.

Not always, if there before you somebody moved and do shopping, and you moved, third car wont get any fuel, until somebody will pay (third driver acting b******s "that pump doesn't work" and other misbehaving, . I know that most garages wont give any fuel,unless one of two transactions cleared.

Imagine that - first car got 55 euro fuel, and you got 45, most of times first costumer will pay for his shopping and when operator will ask - how much did you fill ? 45 or 55 ? he will answer - 45 ... a specially if pay passenger, bud driver moved his car, and waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Leave car at pumps
    Mar4ix wrote: »
    operator will ask - how much did you fill ? 45 or 55 ?
    i have never been ave angiven the choice between two ammounts in the 9 years i have been filling up my car. the usually ask did you get fuel and if i only said yes they would ask how much or which pump

• Advertisement

Atari Jaguar
    sean1141 wrote: »
    i have never been ave angiven the choice between two ammounts in the 9 years i have been filling up my car. the usually ask did you get fuel and if i only said yes they would ask how much or which pump
    You lucky, never been in very busy petrol station.
    Ive seen this a lot, as security. A specially when ask which car, costumer point finger towards 12 pumps and say "silver one" (some people thinks their grey car is silver ... ), while there is at least 3 or 4 silver/grey at pumps. (but his car is moved). I know you wont believe me, but that's reality....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Atari Jaguar
    I'll leave it at the pumps usually. If the garage is very busy and theres a queue for till and for pumps, then I'll move it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

sean1141 wrote: »
    the usually ask did you get fuel and if i only said yes they would ask how much or which pump

Agree with this, I never leave the pump without knowing the value and pump number especially if I move the vehicle.

Also, once or twice I've actually been able to fill up from the same pump as someone who has already gone in to pay and not bothered to move despite a queue thanks to the fuel tank location on the bike.

Leave car at pumps
    Reading this thread I'm actually quite disheartened by the amount of people who wont move their car I always thought it was the done thing. It really is one of my pet hates when people dont move when your waiting in line to get fuel.

I have done it in stations up and down the country and never once had someone behind the till get nervous or had the person mix up how much I had to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭tippniall

i always leave it till ive paid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Atari Jaguar
    Reading this thread I'm actually quite disheartened by the amount of people who wont move their car I always thought it was the done thing. It really is one of my pet hates when people dont move when your waiting in line to get fuel.

I have done it in stations up and down the country and never once had someone behind the till get nervous or had the person mix up how much I had to pay.
    Funny, Ive never once seen anyone move before paying.

Indeed in any stations that Ive been to recently, there are signs requesting that you dont move from the pump until youve paid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Leave car at pumps
    Mar4ix wrote: »
    You lucky, never been in very busy petrol station.
    Ive seen this a lot, as security. A specially when ask which car, costumer point finger towards 12 pumps and say "silver one" (some people thinks their grey car is silver ... ), while there is at least 3 or 4 silver/grey at pumps. (but his car is moved). I know you wont believe me, but that's reality....
    yes i have been in some very busy petrol stations ;) im not saying there is no chancers out there that wouldnt say 45 instead of 55 but the attendent was wrong to give them a choice of two ammounts.

if i was the owner/manager of a station and my employees were doing this they would find themselves out of a job very quick. it would be ok to say ''55petrol/diesel was it??''

nothing worse than sitting behind someone at a pump waiting for them to fill up, then they lock the car, look at you and walk into the shop. its so ignorant imo. usually there is room to move the car forward so the next person can fill up.

in one of the local stations there is 4 pumps. 3 are petrol only and the 4th is petrol and diesel. it really sickens me when someone pulls up to the diesel/petrol pump to fill up with petrol when 1 or 2 of the other pumps are free then leaves the car there and goes into the shop:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Atari Jaguar
    I always leave it.

Only because I'm never at the petrol stations when it's busy though. If I am I wouldn't be filling up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Atari Jaguar
    Unmanned ones are handy, just card, then pump and transaction finished once nozzle is back on the pump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Leave car at pumps
    If this thread only gets one person to move their car if the station is busy then this thread will be a success.

• Advertisement

Atari Jaguar
    Max Power1 wrote: »

Indeed in any stations that Ive been to recently, there are signs requesting that you dont move from the pump until youve paid
    If this thread only gets one person to move their car if the station is busy then this thread will be a success.
    Even if the stations specifically request you not to?

Leave car at pumps
    Even if the stations specifically request you not to?

Well in all my time driving I've never seen a sign. I do shop around for a good price/litre but I do so much driving I'm well known in all the stations I use so for me it's not an issue.

Atari Jaguar
    Well in all my time driving I've never seen a sign. I do shop around for a good price/litre but I do so much driving I'm well known in all the stations I use so for me it's not an issue.
    Theres definitly a sign in the Top (i think its called) on amiens street and on the cheap garage on the south quays headin for the N4. And in a lot of garages outside dublin but busy.

Leave car at pumps
    I'm in the Mid West. I love it when people just assume you're from Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I'm in the Mid West. I love it when people just assume you're from Dublin.

Nobody is assuming anything. He was just giving examples. Good to get stuff like that off your chest though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Atari Jaguar
    Have to say I never move my car before paying, neither have I ever seen anyone do it. Also doesnt bother me in the slightest waiting a minute or two for someone to pay unless someone is taking the piss with it. Ive never even considered moving my car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Atari Jaguar

Absolutely.
    If I did move my car, the staff would have a seizure, assume I'm a petrol thief and call the Gards.
    I've never once seen it in the entirety of Ireland since I'm here (1994) and since I've been on the road a good bit I've seen hundreds of petrol stations.
    Someone said "If we just get one person to move...", well, there would be chaos, questions asked, people wouldn't understand, staff would be helpless, etc...
    It is simply not in the culture here, like letting people merge at roadworks (block them for as long as possible), it just doesn't exist here and it never will.

Leave car at pumps
    Absolutely.
    If I did move my car, the staff would have a seizure, assume I'm a petrol thief and call the Gards.
    I've never once seen it in the entirety of Ireland since I'm here (1994) and since I've been on the road a good bit I've seen hundreds of petrol stations.
    Someone said "If we just get one person to move...", well, there would be chaos, questions asked, people wouldn't understand, staff would be helpless, etc...
    It is simply not in the culture here, like letting people merge at roadworks (block them for as long as possible), it just doesn't exist here and it never will.

Well I do it all the time and the world has not stopped turning and never had an attendant complain to me or anything. Its always in Topaz stations too as I have a fuel card, not local stations where they know me or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭johnthemull

Leave car at pumps
    I would move it if there was space and someone waiting behind me. Otherwise in and pay and out asap.
    To expect the majority of Irish motorists to show similar courtesy or manners in this or any other driving situation is to expect a miracle.
    They seem genetically incapable of courtesy in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Atari Jaguar
    I would move it if there was space and someone waiting behind me. Otherwise in and pay and out asap.
    To expect the majority of Irish motorists to show similar courtesy or manners in this or any other driving situation is to expect a miracle.
    They seem genetically incapable of courtesy in my opinion.
    Tell the first part of your post to the gardai,
    Inevitably they will be called if the attendant sees you getting back into your car without paying.

Leave car at pumps
    Tell the first part of your post to the gardai,
    Inevitably they will be called if the attendant sees you getting back into your car without paying.

Nonsense, by your logic I should have had an encounter with the guards a few times per month.

Any attendant using their head at all would wait to see if the person parks up or drives off, whats to be gained by ringing that 3 seconds earlier.

Also if they did call the guards do you think I would be hanging around to talk to them I would have paid and be long gone before they arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Atari Jaguar
    Same here. I actually moved someone's car once and parked it around the side of the petrol station. Got back in my car, filled the tank, paid the cashier and left before the owner of the other car came back out.

Wait, you actually got in someone else's car, without their permission and moved it? Did this actually happen or did your fingers just lose the run of themselves while you were frustrated at some people's behaviour that you disagreed with? I hope it was the latter, that would be excusable.

Okay, so you had no intention of robbing the car, but at the time no one else knew that and what if there had been a child in the car? Imagine what people would have thought. Please don't let your frustration get the better of you and get you into a situation you really would rather not be in.

EDIT: And for the record, I have felt like doing the same myself on a couple of occasions, but where a driver has parked directly in front of the shop entrance rather than in a space/at a pump and even once leaving their door wide open completely blocking access to the shop. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Atari Jaguar
    The petrol station I use would only see the odd farmer stopping for the auld green diesel. Now that I come to think of it, I did see a car there at the pumps once. So, I think Im safe enough leaving it where it is to go in to pay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Atari Jaguar
    I always leave the car at the pump while I pay :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Atari Jaguar
    Depends where it is. If it's a busy urban filling station I won't move it, I've seen plenty of signs saying not to move the vehicle. Attitude is probably as I've spent a lot of time in the UK where drive offs are rife and no-one moves cars unless they are doing a runner.

If it's rural and only a couple of pumps and someone is waiting, I'll move. Same in the wholesalers where I normally buy diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Its a nonsense to say that moving your car will cause a panic or even an issue for a till operator. Pumps can handle multiple transactions and the operator can easily identify who is who by a few simple questions, not the mention that most people state their pump number and/or fuel amount anyway.

Anyone who is intending to steal fuel is not going to enter the shop nor will they make it so obvious that they are stealing that it would give the operator time to run out and confront them (which they would not do anyway as they wouldn't notice in time -it takes a period of 15 minutes for an unpaid fuel transaction to go red and declare itself as a drive on the system anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Atari Jaguar
    I leave it where it is, i dont want them to think im splashing and dashing.

Advertisement