Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the difference between a wash and cut and a dry cut?

Options
  • 03-04-2014 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I've decided that today, I'm going to finally go to a good hair dresser I've been impressed by, in my case, Bedford Stuy in Temple Bar. Now, this is my first time actually making an informed decision getting a haircut. I've heard a wet cut is better and tends to be more accurate, how true is this? Generally, I'm the type of person to wash my hair right before going to the barbers, as I don't like presenting greasy hair to a barber. So does a wet cut make much of a difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Apart from a dry cut usually being cheaper, I'm not really sure but I imagine it's easier to hold and cut wet hair more prescisely particularly if your dry hair is rather fuzzy. I'm sure dirty or greasy hair isn't as pleasant to cut as clean hair either.

I used to get my hair cut at a barbers when I lived in Tralee and they would not allow dry cuts. There are certain things I don't like other people doing for me and washing my hair was one of them.

Thankfully, I don't have such concerns nowadays as I have a permanent God given zero cut!!:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There'd be more weight in hair just washed. It's also smoother to handle.

personally, I'd just wash my hair myself if I was going to get a haircut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

There'd be more weight in hair just washed. It's also smoother to handle.

personally, I'd just wash my hair myself if I was going to get a haircut.

Ya but when did you last get a hair cut Drav?

Lousy beatniks!

:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ya but when did you last get a hair cut Drav?

Lousy beatniks!

:pac:

Around the 26th/27th Oct 2012.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I guess somebody who is an actual barber would be better qualified than me to go about the technicalities of the issue :)

As for personal preference, I am quite at discomfort with a dry cut - essentially I find it lacks in the hygiene department. Quite surely, it's a cultural background thing as "wash and cut" is the de-facto standard where I come from (to the point that barbers have sink basins in front of the chairs), and it makes no actual difference from a scientific/medical viewpoint :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

A dry cut always (imo) leaves hair down your neck, face & back no matter how careful the barber is. Wet cut doesn't.
    A wet cut would be crisper for those of us with fuzzy hair as it is easier for the barber to cut all hairs to the same length.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Wet hair is easier to work with and manipulate- so cutting is far easier. As far as I know (I'm not trained, I just have an interest) the cuticles of the hair lie straighter when wet, so it's smoother.

It does present difficulties when you have curly hair though, and the curls tighten as the hair dries so a barber/ hairdresser who doesn't know your hair may cut too much off when it's wet because the length can shorten massively in the drying process.

It's also easier to style from wet- dry, so that plays a part too.

I'd always pay extra to get the wash there, because even though you may have washed your hair that morning, oils and secretions will immediately start to develop. So waiting a few hours means the oils have built up again.

I'd always pay extra to get the wash there, because even though you may have washed your hair that morning, oils and secretions will immediately start to develop. So waiting a few hours means the oils have built up again.

I'd generally wash before going to get it cut.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Dry Cut - They will spray water on your hair and cut from there. If you have product in your hair, this will loosen up the product to allow the barber to cut. But, the scissors may not go through your hair cleanly.

Wash Cut - This cleans out any product and natural oils and makes your hair softer to cut. Some places will also include a scalp massage in this as well which feels really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

Always have a wash & cut myself, and to make sure I get value for money I won't wash beforehand. This tightfistedness extends to me removing my own bottle of shampoo from the shower so I don't forget and accidentally use it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 geeko

Being a barber myself,

Depending on products used by yourself.
    Puttys and strong hold gels can be a pain in the arse.
    But 99% of the time spray bottle does the job.
    Alot of my customers get the wash afterwards opposed to prior.

Any style can be reached even with a small bit of product.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

So distilling the information received, the answer to the OP's question appears to be Shampoo and Money?

Advertisement