Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gentlemanly toiletries (Shameless)

Options
  • 30-11-2013 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Well I've been spending a lot of time outdoors as of late. Prior to this I never was big into using moisturizers etc (bar the odd aftershave balm). But now conversely as my manly activities increased, so did my need for skin products.

Few days out on the mountains leaves the face dry and tight as paper so I'm now using E45 moisturiser to keep the face from falling off me.

Also using http://www.boots.ie/en/Vaseline-2in1-Hand-Cream-Anti-Bacterial-75ml_1250025/ as in the cold and wet my hands were getting so bad that the skin would split and would not be able to do simple dextrous tasks after a few days.

Also been a fan of the Kiehls range for shower gels and Taylors of Bond street for shaving stuff.

Anyone else got recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack Skellington

This has reminded me to do something about my hands because they get pretty sore after awhile in the cold.

The same thing happens to my lips the odd time, one day they were just burning after being out so I tried carmex lip balm and it was amazing!

Vaseline probably would have been just as good but but it comes in a little tube so you don't have to messing with it on your fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Not a big fan of E45. I have sensitive enough skin and I just find that more often than not, it makes things worse.

Nivea Soft is the best moisturiser I find for day to day use, that can be picked up easily anywhere.

Jack mentioned the Carmex lip balm, but even better I find is Aloe Lips. Not sure if it can be got from stores tbh, I just know someone who orders it in bulk and I get a couple of them each year. Barely have to use it to notice the effect, which is the great thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

If you can afford it, Clinique's entire range is excellent and designed to work in steps, from washing your face, shaving to moisturising.

If you don't want to spend that much though, I recommend the L'Oreal for Men Hydra Energetic Daily Purifying Wash for washing your face and the Men Expert Hydra Sensitive moisturiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

I swim everyday so face can get awful dry. Just use suncream after. Mositurises and has the aul spf too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I swim everyday so face can get awful dry. Just use suncream after. Mositurises and has the aul spf too.

I could be wrong but I think aftersun is better for dry skin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I use Cliniques products, the ones in the grey bland looking packaging. The moisturiser, soaps, deoderant and shaving products are excellent. And the best thing about them it's that they are fragrance free.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'd recommend Niveas moisturisers just from personal experience, they don't break the bank and I've always found them to be brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

I would never look past Neutrogena hand cream. Not the cheapest, but worth every microgram.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Lady here but anyway Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream is brilliant- a little bit dear but a tiny bit goes a long way so it lasts ages. In really plain packaging too so good if anyone's worried about that (not that it makes a difference if it works really).

Also the Hemp range from the Body Shop is quite good.

Anyone working outdoors should be wearing sun cream all year round though, that's the best protecting you can give your skin. One of the biggest mistakes people make is only wearing suncream on holidays or during our rare hot weather. Your skin can be damaged any time. Buy a moisturiser with SPF or just wear sunscreen as Baz would say.

Advertisement