Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pledge.

Options
  • 27-04-2008 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭

If you eat food with alcohol in it, are you breaking the pledge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Dman001 wrote: »
    If you eat food with alcohol in it, are you breaking the pledge?

alcohol is alcohol so yes :rolleyes:,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I´d say no, sure theres lots of medicines that have alcohol in it to , I doubt there would be any harm in eating trifle or the like, I took the pledge myself when I was a youngster lasted into lateish teens too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Let's not forget mouth-wash :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

So I alcohol in food is okay?

Dman001 wrote: »
    So I alcohol in food is okay?

If the alcohol its self is cooked off then yes otherwise you are still consuming alcohol :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The pledge doesn't include alchohol for medicinal purposes and generally, alchohol in food is cooked off, so you're ok. Anyway, isn't the Pledge a pledge to not drink alchohol. Eating it isn't the same. The whole point is that you're not going out on the piss, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

exactly nobody's going to get pissed on trifle

MooseJam wrote: »
    exactly nobody's going to get pissed on trifle

They will if they make it the way my grandmother does:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Thanks. I'm sure same goes for alcohol in soaps and perfumes/aftershave,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

humanji wrote: »
    The pledge doesn't include alchohol for medicinal purposes and generally, alchohol in food is cooked off, so you're ok. Anyway, isn't the Pledge a pledge to not drink alchohol. Eating it isn't the same. The whole point is that you're not going out on the piss, isn't it?

I had always thought that alcohol in food is cooked off, but apparently not: http://www.ochef.com/165.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭RealEstateKing

Such as bread for example.

However, as far as you're concerned, alcohol is only an issue when it is present in such quantities that it overwhelms the liver and gets sent to the brain, whereupon it causes intoxication.

Otherwise we'd have to say your an opium user if you eat poppy-seed bagels.

Advertisement