Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I name my House?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

hshortt wrote:
    Rivendell!

I love it!!!! Works very well with the rest of address too. Have to see what My wife thinks!!

Thanks hshortt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

"home"

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭11.3 SECONDS

Please excuse my proletarian commonality as I live in a house with a mere number.

A good idea to avoid rows is to make up a compound name from the husband and wife's own names. E.g. Brendan and Maureen could call their house Brenmaur.

Don't get too grandiose either with the name as people might think that you are one of those lottery winner types !:)

My parents Dora and Ray named their house "Doray", we currently live in a mobile home (next to the unfinished house) which still has the number "123" we wont use that number as there are only ten houses in the area :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

We called our house "Ardloch" Ard from Armagh were I am from and Loch from Wexford where my husband is from. the townland we live in is the Irish for Streams:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

OK have nearly picked name

Here it is ArdBrae
    and here is meaning

Ard means "height; peak." Brae is a Scots term meaning "hill."

Just sounds cool!!! What do People think ? or any more ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 davrac

Hi All. We have recently bought a house in Craughwell ,Co. Galway, and we are at loss what to call it. I am from Belfast and my Wife is from Galway, I am into Motorbikes and she is into Horses. I have tried combinations of the City Names and our hobbies but none of them appeal to me. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. David & Rachel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Shag Inn:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

JohnBoy wrote: »
    people have been living in the country for years without having names on their houses.

we moved into our new house and post was waiting for us the day we got the keys.

an post have a certain amount of experience in delivering post you know
    Very useful also where there are a number of people in the same area that share a name.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

My parents Dora and Ray named their house "Doray", we currently live in a mobile home (next to the unfinished house) which still has the number "123" we wont use that number as there are only ten houses in the area :p

My parents called their house Denmarg as their names were Denis And Margaret. Try using half of both your names it just might sound Ok!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 davrac

311 wrote: »
    Shag Inn:)

Grow Up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

davrac wrote: »
    Grow Up

With that attitude:
    Shag Off
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I only posted in Jest, I think if I was to put a name on my house ,it would read

Inflation

or , Earth ,wind and Fire.

"Dunbuildin" ;)

(an teach bán)

How DO you put in the 'fada'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

Was going to make mine (moving in in approx 2 months) "Ard na Domhnain" thinking it was "Top o' the world" but on closer inspection, turns out it's "high up in the world" which sounds a bit Haughy to me.
    "Boinn an Domhnain" doesn't quite have the same ring.

Might go for "Westdare" instead.....(Westmeath/Kildare being where we're both from).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

What's the crime level like in the area?

Lockyer House...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

How far do you commute, if its a long day away cll it " Seldomere "

Or if the bank owns it big time call it " Someday ! "

Secman

Lockyer House...[/quote]:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

There's a house on Clonskeagh Road, in Dublin named "Muff".

Gotta admire the originality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement