Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amend birth certificate

Options
  • 05-10-2015 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi there.

My newborn is 2 weeks old and I have noticed that I have made an error at the time of birth registration. Instead of my mother's birth surname, I have entered my mothers first name. My first daughter has that information correct on her birth cert. I am due to apply for a passport for my newborn. Do you think they would be able to change that information if I provide them with my older child's birth cert? I have no documents to prove what my mother's birth surname was. Would appreciate you guys help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I have no documents to prove what my mother's birth surname was. Would appreciate you guys help.
    kayser is online now Report Post

Your birthcert will have your mother's surname.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

We're more used to dealing with the old stuff, Kayser, but as far as I know, you can apply to correct something on a birth cert by getting a form from the GRO and then swearing an oath with a Justice of the Peace.

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Registering_Birth.aspx

If you need to, you can very easily get a copy of your mother's birth cert or marriage cert to prove her birth name.

Tangent: so a birth cert now contains the names of grandparents too?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭kayser

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Unfortunately I neither have mine nor my mother's birth cert. There was no birth registration for either of us in the country where I come from. It could take a while before I could get a cert from my country, if I could.

Yes, it now contains both the granny's birth surnames. :)

Edit: I wonder, would I go ahead and apply for her passport? Or would we likely face problems as there is a discrepancy between my children's birth certs?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I don't think anyone is qualified to give you a definitive answer. You should check with the passport office.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭kayser

Thanks. Will check with them tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Yes, it now contains both the granny's birth surnames. :)

Thats great news for the genealogists of the future!

Advertisement