Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gedcom - how to view?

Options
  • 30-09-2015 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

I created a family tree with FindMyPas and downloaded it to my machine. However the file format - GEDCOM - cannot be opened by my PC. Could I get some tips on how to view / software to download, etc.

Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any genealogy software can import GEDCOM but the results are often extremely poor. FamilyTreeMaker is the dominant software but opinions vary on it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I think the main issue with FTM is just cost: never heard complaints about the quality of it.

I use a free one called Genopro.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

RootsMagic is a free download, and uses GEDCOM.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 snobbles

Is there a limit to the number of persons one can enter using Rootmagic and/or Genopro?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Genopro has a splash screen that kicks in (from memory) after a couple of hundred people, but you don't have to upgrade ever, if the screen doesn't bother you.
    I started using it early enough that a free lifetime licence cost $20.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

snobbles wrote: »
    Is there a limit to the number of persons one can enter using Rootmagic and/or Genopro?
    With RootsMagic, if there is, it's more than 400. But I don't think there is one.

Advertisement