Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

im looking for a good catholic prayer group to join

Options
  • 08-05-2008 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

hello,

I am wondering if there are any prayer groups in dublin city centre that would be welcoming of a new person. im 26 and I want to join a prayer group. im quiet and not very social so im wondering if i can find a good prayer group? any info would be helpful, thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

hello,
    I am wondering if there are any prayer groups in dublin city centre that would be welcoming of a new person. im 26 and I want to join a prayer group. im quiet and not very social so im wondering if i can find a good prayer group? any info would be helpful, thank you

Hello Aisling, I suggest you check out one of the Padre Pio prayer groups.

See www.padrepio.ie. Give them a call and see where the nearest group meets.

God bless,
    Noel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

what happens at prayer groups, is it a bunch of people pray together or is there more to it than that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

OP, good luck on your prayer group hunt.

Moosejam, I don't know what happens at prayer groups in general, but there are two I go to; I can tell you about those.

The first is my Friday morning prayer group - it's run by my church in our church office. Whoever turns up (it's at 8am so I don't always make it :)) chats about issues in our community (illnesses, immigration problems, etc.), things we might be struggling with ourselves, we have coffee and criossants etc., and then spend perhaps 20 mins or so in prayer, taking it in turns as we see fit to pray (speaking to God) about the things we've just discussed. Although it is very relaxed and informal it would probably be a weird experience for someone who has never prayed before with others.

The other group I am linked to is much smaller and more intimate. We jokingly refer to ourselves as the prayer square. Ah, the joy of our nerdiness! As you can guess from the name, we're a foursome, all female. We're all very busy so we meet when we can - approximately every two months (for the last 3 years). What we do varies, but typically we enjoy some treats or a meal together and a couple of glasses of wine, and take it in turn to talk to each other about what's going on in our lives. We advise, challenge, encourage and reassure each other in our jobs, faith, marriages, studies, family-life etc. We cry together through the sorrows and laugh through the joys. We also tend to get talking about the books we're reading, films we're seeing - the normal friendship stuff. Then, towards the end of the night, we pray for each other about the stuff going on in our lives, usually for about 45 minutes. These times are very rich and nourishing.

Hope that gives you some idea, Moosejam. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 aislingm137

Thank you Noel and thanks the others. Saint Padre Pio would be a great prayer group

Advertisement