Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems you feel are unfairly blamed on men specifically (cf. men and women/society)

Options
  • 05-10-2013 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭

I got the idea from this thread partly from another specific discussion on tGC and partly from an example I just heard on the radio (see my first post).

[Aside: I had to use slightly different wording to that which I had planned to get it to fit into the number of characters allowed for thread titles. For those not familiar with it, "cf." means compare or could be read as "versus" i.e. "Problems you feel are unfairly blamed on men specifically (versus men & women/society)"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭iptba

This is probably not the most interesting example of something I think is unfairly blamed on men, but it is the most recent one I have come across.

I was just listening to "Global Village" http://newstalk.ie/globalvillage on NewsTalk.

It had an item on childbirth, and how some women would like it to be less medicalised in Ireland.

I have no strong opinions on this.

What I did have a problem with was the suggestion that the current model in Ireland/why things are done this way is to suit male doctors ("patriarchy" was also thrown in).

I presume this is due to a practice that women are induced more during working hours and the like.

I don't know any evidence that female doctors are more against such practices than male doctors. Indeed, generally in society, men are more willing to work unsociable hours than women. And in medicine, one seems to see women more in jobs which have more family friendly hours, with fewer women in jobs like surgery where unplanned operations mean hours can be unsociable/not family friendly. Anyway, even if one thinks female doctors are equally willing to work unsociable hours, I don't see what the evidence is that childbirth practices are due to suit male doctors more than female doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Woodward

abortion restrictions, violence (especially domestic), child molestation, dangerous driving, rape, fatherlessness and struggling single mothers...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Woodward wrote: »
    abortion restrictions, violence (especially domestic), child molestation, dangerous driving, rape, fatherlessness and struggling single mothers...

What do you mean by fatherlessness, the kid(s) blaming their Dad for not being there?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Woodward

Sauve wrote: »
    What do you mean by fatherlessness, the kid(s) blaming their Dad for not being there?

Yes but also the attitude that every child without a father was abandoned by him because he is a selfish asshole while their saintly mother raises them as best she could

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Woodward wrote: »
    Yes but also the attitude that every child without a father was abandoned by him because he is a selfish asshole while their saintly mother raises them as best she could

Cool, getcha - just didn't know if I was reading you right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

I feel a lot of the time the attitude in the media is that men's problems are their own fault whereas women's problem's are society's fault.

Examples.

Women live longer than men. Conclusion, men do not look after themselves.

Women get better results in school. Conclusion, men do not work as hard.

Men get better pay in work. Conclusion, sexism.

etc

Advertisement