Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Present idea

Options
  • 13-10-2009 3:59pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a present idea for my wife for her birthday (9 days away). Ideally I'd like to make something to give her myself (she loves that) but I haven't a flippin' clue what to do. Wide open to suggestions. If any of you have experience with a pressie that you made yourself that your better half really appreciated, speak up!

I'll be cooking a dinner anyway.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

How about something you make together? Not sure how practical it use to do at home but you can buy clay wheels for making pottery. You can do it "Ghost" style ;) or you can go to a place to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

would you get her an ipod and put all her fav songs on it for her?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Tbh, I'd only go down the 'make something for her' route if I knew I was actually good at making it - nothing worse than fake "thank you so much, it's amazing" 's.

You could book a night in a nice hotel - someplace like Ashford Castle, or a B&B on one of the islands out west and rent out two bicycles for the weekend.

Does she have any any interests or hobbies (Or hobbies she's thought about getting into but never did due to *insert random factor here*) that you could pick up on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I think its important for us to wqhat interests she got, I think all good gifts start with a foundation...

I baught my bros gf a smelly candel thing from the body shop for crimbo because she likes smelly candels.... She use's it a lot....so some info whats he into would be great :D

from there I could try make some suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Problem with a thread like this is that the ideas for presents will be generic when I've found, from personal experience, the best presents are ones that reflect a knowledge of the individuals personality, details that only a partner is truly going to know.

Is she also the kind of person that may drop veiled hints if she is expecting a present? Even just moving her shoulders like they are tight may be an indication that she would like a spa break for a day or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

As mentioned above, go away for a night or two. Get a country house rather then a hotel or B&B. A little more expensive but so worth it. Can pm you a couple of recomendations especially if ye are foodies.
    As for making something yerself then have you concidered a photo album? Go through all those boxes and boxes of photos that everyone has lying around and compile one good set of her - for her.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

messrs wrote: »
    would you get her an ipod and put all her fav songs on it for her?

My brother did that for my mum's Birthday. He's only sixteen and thought of the idea himself, I was really impressed with him. She loved it! It's a really nice, thoughtful idea. Not too challenging either ;)
    Fajitas! wrote: »
    Does she have any any interests or hobbies (Or hobbies she's thought about getting into but never did due to *insert random factor here*) that you could pick up on?

Definitely good advice - think about her interests, what she enjoys doing in her free time and try and think of ideas surrounding that. You could even plan a present around something you know she's always wanted to try/do, but hasn't had the chance to, yet! :)
    OldGoat wrote: »
    As for making something yerself then have you concidered a photo album? Go through all those boxes and boxes of photos that everyone has lying around and compile one good set of her - for her.

That's a really nice idea! Women, in general, are quite sentimental so anything like that is ideal ... Plenty of brownie points to be got there! ;)
    I'm in the process of making an album for a friend at the moment, as part of her 21st present! I'd definitely recommend it because it's quite fun to make, you get to enjoy thinking back on all the memories and past fun times, while doing something thoughtful and kind for someone else :)

Not sure if you're into any of this stuff, but to put some of my own ideas out there ; You could try writing her a song, poem or painting or sketching her something?
    Might sound a bit cheesy, but it can definitely work well! :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thanks for all the replies! This is a great forum. Anyway...
    OldGoat wrote: »

I like this a LOT. Super idea. We have about 2 billion photos in digital format that we "keep meaning" to get printed.

She likes drawing, painting (she painted me a picture of the view from our room in Thailand for my birthday) and decorating. She has a great eye for knowing what will look good in a room. Art classes could be a good one (I'm poop at anything drawing-ey or painting-ey).
    L31mr0d wrote: »
    Is she also the kind of person that may drop veiled hints if she is expecting a present? Even just moving her shoulders like they are tight may be an indication that she would like a spa break for a day or something.

She's not a hint dropper unfortunately. I've outright asked her a few times but no luck.

A spa break sounds like a good idea. She's fairly heavily pregnant now (27 weeks tomorrow) and not looking forward to "another dry Christmas". :D
    Not sure if you're into any of this stuff, but to put some of my own ideas out there ; You could try writing her a song, poem or painting or sketching her something?

No dice. I'm crap at all those things. :)

Khannie wrote: »

Pff, talentless git! :pac:
    I kid, obviously!

Hmm. I'll try and think of other ideas. Definitely come up with ideas around her interests though, she'll appreciate the thought :)

And the photo idea is a good one ... If OldGoat wasn't taken, I'd want him for myself! :p

If OldGoat wasn't taken, I'd want him for myself! :p

Get off bitch! He's mine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Let's see here.

Khannie's skill set;

Fighting - not a real nice gift
    Nerding - unless she herself is a nerd it will be a total waste to get her a nerdy present.
    Fitness - implying she needs to work out could end in tears, yours.

I'm sure you have way more skills but i amn't aware of them yet.

When in doubt buy ladies lots of stuff from lush, they love it. It's like crack to them, they can't get enough of it. That's what I do. Or if you can spare the cash stuff from molton brown. Think lush times 100.

You mention she is pregnant, I know it's not a present but will go down a treat. Tell her she is beautiful. Most women don't feel terribly attractive when carrying a baby, and I'm sure you find her irresistible but it's nice to let her know.

Can't beat flowers :) or chocolate, or... chocolate flowers!

Khannie wrote: »
    I like this a LOT. Super idea. We have about 2 billion photos in digital format that we "keep meaning" to get printed.

Well, I do agree this is a great idea... but... I'd hold off another bit - Either save it until just before the little nipper comes along, or after - Maybe his first birthday - You could even have a look at options like printing into a book format, check out www.blurb.com ( www.photobox.ie do it too, but I think the quality on blurb is as good as your going to get without going for the high end trade only sites)

She likes drawing, painting (she painted me a picture of the view from our room in Thailand for my birthday) and decorating. She has a great eye for knowing what will look good in a room. Art classes could be a good one (I'm poop at anything drawing-ey or painting-ey).

Art classes are a possibility then! Bear in mind there's a few different types though, general 'art' to drawing classes, ceramics, and so on - If she's in any way interested in the crafty side of it, ceramics is great. Find out what the wanted outcome of a course is too - Whether it's just something to relax and learn with or there's a stress on getting some form of certificate at the end. One may suit more than the other.

Also, find out if there's any theory involved - some people love that kind of thing, some don't.

If I (being a photographer, collecting cameras, liking cameras, and being a general nerd about it, sorry in advance :o ) were in your position, and wanted to get something nice, I'd probably buy a nice old camera for someone - even if they just like 'arty things', they'll appreciate it - it's something they can learn with, take photos with (Of the new baby too!!) and so on. Just as an example... something like these two; A and B with a few rolls of film - they look great, the film is still availible, and they'll last for years, and best of all, you can pick either of them on the better side of a hundred quid (Ebay & Adverts.ie are you friends). (Bonus points for pictures tying in with the album mentioned above :pac: )

But I did warn you, I'm just into that kind of thing - I've given them as presents before and they were well received :)

If you know you're not good at'em, stay well clear - hell, if you're not sure if you're good, stay clear! :)

Will wrote: »
    When in doubt buy ladies lots of stuff from lush, they love it. It's like crack to them, they can't get enough of it. That's what I do. Or if you can spare the cash stuff from molton brown. Think lush times 100.

Nice. I've never bought stuff in there, but she likes that kind of thing.
    You mention she is pregnant, I know it's not a present but will go down a treat. Tell her she is beautiful. Most women don't feel terribly attractive when carrying a baby, and I'm sure you find her irresistible but it's nice to let her know.

I'm a big sap and do this all the time already. :)

Will, that should be daily routine :pac:

the staff in lush push products on you though so be aware, molton brown is far more relaxed in my experience :)

jesus fanjitas!!

Great post. Thanks Fajitas.
    Art classes are a possibility then!

We possibly had the same thought at the same time. I may actually go with this and either the photo album or some cosmetics. We can always add to it when the baba comes along (not our first :)).

I can't see her being massively into photography. Though I may be wrong, I think the art classes are a safer bet for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Some great ideas in here! Photography has been mentioned already and it got me thinking! I know you've said she wouldn't be into a camera but how about a voucher for a family portrait? I think that'd be pretty cool, especially since you have a new baby on the way. When I was about seven and my brother was four, we had some photographs professionally taken and every time someone new is in our house, they admire them! I smile each time I walk down the hall too. Can be quite expensive but they'll last a lifetime, just like the memories. :)

You said your wife is pregnant too so be careful with the Lush stuff! A friend of mine was given some Lush stuff for her birthday, (she was five months pregnant at the time!), and the smell of it made her sick! It is quite heavily scented and during her pregnancy any strong smells made her queasy. Good idea otherwise though, I was just thinking! :)

The best present I ever got was a box which had all of my favourite things at the time in it. I go through weird phases of eating certain foods and watching a certain movie over and over for a few weeks! :pac: Anyway, the box had loads of packets of White Buttons, a cd which had the same song on it twenty-five times so, as he said, I could listen to it over and over in the car without having to rewind and just loads of wee thoughtful things that were really personal to me. If you can pick up on little things she mentions in conversation, that's what means the most 'cause we tend to presume you're just not listening to us! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Based on the above posts, my vote goes for a book of photos (as Fajitas mentioned) and you can slip the receipt/booking for the art course inside it. Also some materials for the art course?

EDIT

Actually, after further thought how realistic is it you'll have time for art course in the next 6 months
    with the coming birth. Book a nice spa weekend away and spoil her rotten.

Will, that should be daily routine :pac:

I'm going to make Will say it to me the next time he sees me.
    This will be both amusing and traumatic!

wtf, don't make me get punchy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

A friend of mine's partner made her a calendar. Each month had a photo of an event that they were at together in that month or just other photos of her and her friends from that month. I thought it was a lovely idea. Takes lots of effort and thought to put it together. He's kinda screwed now though as he's given one to her the last two Christmas's and she's grown quite fond of them :D

Novella wrote: »
    You said your wife is pregnant too so be careful with the Lush stuff! A friend of mine was given some Lush stuff for her birthday, (she was five months pregnant at the time!), and the smell of it made her sick!

Good point! Her nose is mega sensitive at the moment. MEGA.

Novella wrote: »
    The best present I ever got was a box which had all of my favourite things at the time in it.

Good one. I like this too.
    Actually, after further thought how realistic is it you'll have time for art course in the next 6 months

This is also a fair point. I think the onus would be on me to make sure the time is available for her to take a break and go to her art class if I got her a voucher for one. She makes sure I have time for training at the moment (of course she also has a vested interest in me not getting the crap kicked out of me, but she's very good about it).
    b3t4 wrote: »
    A friend of mine's partner made her a calendar. Each month had a photo of an event that they were at together in that month or just other photos of her and her friends from that month.

Really like this idea too. Very nice. I think photobox do these.

Advertisement