Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Champion of Champions

Options
  • 02-11-2014 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

Starts tomorrow on ITV4.

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Stuart Bingham
    Shaun Murphy v Marco Fu
    Barry Hawkins v John Higgins
    Ding Junhui v Dominic Dale
    Neil Robertson v Ali Carter
    Ricky Walden v Mark Allen
    Judd Trump v Stephen Maguire
    Mark Selby v Steve Davis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Why is Steve Davis in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Glenman wrote: »
    He was given an invitational tour card to participate in tournaments for the 2014-15 season. He qualified for the Champion of Champions event after winning the World Seniors Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,310 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Glenman wrote: »

His buddy Bazza wanted it, and his victory in the Seniors Championship seemed the most plausible and believable way to shoehorn him in.
    Anyone pointing out that the previous edition of Champion of Champions had no such senior representative should be shunned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Is this a ranking event? I've not heard of it before. Setanta have coverage too so I've been watching bits & pieces where I can

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Ronnie playing well, will be a massive blow to snooker when he inevitably retires.

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    Is this a ranking event? I've not heard of it before. Setanta have coverage too so I've been watching bits & pieces where I can
    It's a non-ranking event. The "Champion of Champions" name was used for two events previously, in 1978 and 1980. It was revived last year, replacing Premier League Snooker on the Snooker calendar. Ronnie O'Sullivan won it last year.

O'Sullivan also flew through Marco Fu tonight, 6-0, to meet Ding Junhui in the semi-finals on Saturday. No matches played tomorrow, for a day of rest.

Friday, 7th November
    Round 1: Neil Robertson v Ali Carter
    Round 1: Ricky Walden v Mark Allen
    Quarter-Final: Robertson/Carter v Walden/Allen

Saturday, 8th November
    Semi-Final: Ronnie O'Sullivan v Ding Junhui
    Semi-Final: Judd Trump v Winner of Friday's matches

Final on Sunday. I would guess O'Sullivan v Trump/Robertson.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

O'Sullivan at his brilliant best against Trump in this afternoons opening session of the final. Leading 6-3 with three 130+ finishes. Evening session has just started. First to ten wins.

ROS 6-3 Trump: 137-0 (137), 82-0 (78), 25-100, 63-73, 137-0 (50,87), 80-0 (80), 34-89 (58), 139-0 (139), 134-0 (134)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Trump closing the gap, he must be feeling the pressure hope he levels up the scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Going down to the wire!

He is making some come back in this frame.

• Advertisement

Still hope Ronnie wins.

What a shame the white went off.

One more frame Ronnie..

As good as over, trump gave a good battle.

Yep. Two good players to watch. Quick play. BTW I love your show on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

What a great final. Two excellent attacking players going for pretty much everything. Ronnie just said that this is the best he's played since he was 15. Usually he says he was just playing ok but he seems delighted with his form at the minute. Will be hard to stop him in April.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Great final, top notch all day.

To be fair the quality all week has been fantastic, it's refreshing to take a break from the 128 player open events and get back to a good old invitational events with the best players on show from start to finish with every game on the main table.

It's also great to see that ITV are really showing an interest in snooker again, looking forward to the World Grand Prix they're showing in March too.

UK Championship's only a couple of weeks ago now. :)

Great final and a great tournament overall. The Champion of Champions is quickly becoming a player's favourite, and besides the title of "World Champion", being the "Champion of Champions" sounds most impressive. It also helps gives notability to the event (and ITV's ratings) that Ronnie has won both tournaments since they brought it back.

Advertisement