Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEAR Scheme Advice?

Options
  • 18-11-2014 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

My guidance counselor recommended for me to think about applying the HEAR scheme for college. From what I was told it is mostly reduced college points but the courses I am interested in are within my capability.

Can anyone tell what exactly does the HEAR scheme offer?

Much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

cobrien14 wrote: »
    My guidance counselor recommended for me to think about applying the HEAR scheme for college. From what I was told it is mostly reduced college points but the courses I am interested in are within my capability.

There are financial benefits as well.

Have a good read through the above, and try to go to one of the HEAR information sessions they run around the country over the next couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Westeros

cobrien14 wrote: »

I am a HEAR student and I didn't receive any points, though I do know of people who did and weren't expecting to need them so they were glad to have that then. There are financial benefits too and these benefits vary depending on the college you are going to.

Here is how the HEAR Scheme played out for me:
    1st Year - €700 + €200 book voucher
    2nd Year - €400 + €100 book voucher

In order to receive the grant you must provide receipts showing you spent at least €700+ (based on 1st year) usually between the period Sept-Oct. So, the grant isn't exactly extra money but it does essentially reimburse you for what you have already paid.
    The grant varies depending on what college you are in too. When I was in 1st year they said it was one of the biggest years with HEAR students. From what I've heard the grant used to be €900 but they had to cut it in order to accommodate the high number of students last year. This year, it was cut again to €400 due to the high number of new 1st years too.
    Also, just before you start college they run a 'Launchpad' initiative where you go to your college for 2 nights + 3 days and engage in activities, tours, talks etc. - accommodation and food all organised and paid for. I found this very beneficial when I actually started college as I had a good idea of my way around campus, where certain buildings were etc. and it is also a great way of meeting new people. You may actually discover people who are doing your course or in your lectures too. Its not all about the boring stuff of the talks and tours though. The year I went they had a fancy dress disco, a pyjama movie night in one of the lecture theatres, re-creating a music video and the all important - "Which team wins?". I'm nearly sure every college who runs the HEAR Scheme runs 'Launchpad' but the length of time for it varies.
    Once you start college you can be sure to bump into those people you met on Launchpad and it does make that whole 'settling in' process an awful lot easier :) And, if you found it beneficial you could always become a Mentor for Launchpad the following year!
    I would definitely read up on it more if I was in your position. If you qualify and the college you want to attend runs it, then I would definitely advise you to apply for it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

I had a similar experience with HEAR as the poster above. I'm in Trinity now and there's a dedicated office called TAP (Trinity Access Programmes) which deals with HEAR and DARE students along with other applicants from access programmes like the foundation course. We had a three day orientation programme just before Freshers Week which was a nice little head start for meeting people and getting acquainted with the college itself. Finance wise, I got €250 from them from collecting and showing receipts (mainly books, medical, food and transport) although I think there is a higher rate for people living outside Dublin. Other, larger scholarships were offered for people who were really struggling or repeating 1st year and had to pay full fees. We also have a TAP Advisor which provides a guidance counsellor role if needed.

I didn't get the reduced points either but sure look, it wasn't difficult to apply for the HEAR scheme, the help you get in college might not change your life but it's a nice little benefit to have if you're able to get it :) I'd say it's worth going for it!

Advertisement